While the start of a new year brings promises to exercise more and eat less, most of us find ourselves in a funk by the time spring hits. The cold winter weather has a way of sapping all of our energy and motivation from us, and spending our days hiding beneath oversized sweaters and boyfriend jeans does little to keep us motivated with our clean eating goals. It becomes a vicious cycle we can’t seem to get out of, and it isn’t until the warm weather hits that we fully appreciate all of the damage we’ve done.
I’ve always viewed April as a transition month. It’s the perfect time to clear the cobwebs and start fresh, and while I encourage you to set aside time to deep clean your home so you can feel more organized (check out my favorite Spring cleaning hacks here), today I want to take things a step further and share some of my favorite ways to spring clean your life.
Whether you’re been living in a state of constant change, hibernating from the misery of winter weather, or suffering from seasonal depression, the beginning of Spring is a great time to check in with the goals you set at the beginning of the year, measure your success, and tackle the things that are getting in the way of turning your dreams into reality.
It’s also a great time to make NEW goals!
Here are my best tips to spring clean your life to help you end the year with a bang!
SPRING CLEAN YOUR HEALTH
As the weather warms up and you’re forced to trade your oversized sweaters and coats for tank tops and flip flops, you will likely find yourself feeling motivated to get back into shape. Take advantage of the additional energy you’re feeling and make a plan to get back on track. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Clean out your kitchen. Throw all of the unhealthy, processed foods you’ve been snacking on during the winter months, and make a commitment to eat clean.
- Take our 7-Day Detox Challenge! We’ve done the hard work for you by putting together delicious daily meal plans that will actually make you feel full, all of which can be prepped ahead of time to save you time and prevent you from cheating. Check out our 7-day Day Detox Challenge here!
- Start working out at home. It can be difficult to get to the gym during the winter months – the weather can make driving conditions tricky and completely zap us of energy – but if you put together an at-home workout plan, you can find ways to fit exercise into your daily routine. With over 200 online workouts, Fit2B offers fabulous family-friendly workout videos you can do from absolutely anywhere at an affordable price, giving you a ‘no excuses allowed’ gym membership at a fraction of what typical gyms charge. Sign-up for Fit2B here.
SPRING CLEAN YOUR APPEARANCE
While most of us love the cozy turtle necks, knee-high boots, and deep shades of lipstick and nail polish that define the fall months, winter fashion is something else entirely. If you live in a freezing climate like I do, warmth supersedes looks from December through to March, and after hiding behind winter coats, hats, scarves and boots for months on end, you start to lose touch with the person buried beneath all of those layers.
The good news?
I put together some of my favorite beauty hacks that will help you look good – and feel good! – in record-breaking time.
SPRING CLEAN YOUR FAMILY LIFE
Commit to spending more time with the people you love by:
- Organizing regular date nights with your other half. This doesn’t need to be elaborate or expensive. It just needs to be intentional so you can connect with one another. Check out these at-home date night ideas for a little inspiration!
- Finding ways to spend quality time with your kids. How many times do you berate yourself for always being distracted when you’re spending time with your kids? More times that you’d like to admit, right? Check out these SIMPLE ways to spend more quality time as a family and make sure to pencil in a little one-on-one time everyday to show your kids how much you love them.
- Spending time alone. As hard as it sounds, carving out a little ‘me time’ is essential for our well-being. It helps us take a step back, re-evaluate, and recharge so we can be better moms, wives, and friends. Here are some great ways you can incorporate a little alone time into your routine.
SPRING CLEAN YOUR SCHEDULE
If you constantly feel like you’re racing against time, you need to take a long, hard look at your schedule. I recently stumbled upon a planner that has helped keep me organized and accountable each day. It’s called the Day Designer, and it has been a life changer for me. Its simple, guided framework helps me understand where my focus needs to be, and it allows me to set short-term and long-term goals and plan ahead so that I can achieve those goals without neglecting everything else on my never-ending list of things to do.
I spend 10-15 minutes planning my week every Sunday using my Day Designer, and then all I need to do is check in each morning to confirm what my top 3 goals are for the day and check in one more time each evening to make adjustments for the following day if needed. It works like a charm!
SPRING CLEAN YOU FINANCES
There are heaps of things you can do to get your finances in order – pack your lunch, cancel your cable, ditch bad habits, etc. – and while the savings each of these strategies offers can add up over time, they only make a small impact on their own. And if you’re anything like me, you probably need someone to teach you exactly what you need to do to cut back on your expenses.
My biggest challenge used to be our grocery bill. I was spending an inordinate amount of money on food, and throwing a ton of spoiled produce away on garbage day, and I knew I needed to make some changes. Here are 3 things I implemented, each of which have had a monumental impact on our yearly expenditures.
- Learn the art of meal planning. When done correctly, meal planning can significantly reduce your monthly expenditures while also helping you stick to a healthy diet to help with your weight loss goals. Don’t have the foggiest clue how to do this? Erin Chase offers a fabulous course called Grocery Budget Makeover that will teach you how to create an effective shopping list, meal plan effectively, stockpile, avoid marketing traps, and score freebies, and she’ll also teach you the art of couponing (if you live in the US) as well as some fabulous time-saving kitchen and cooking hacks. Sign-up for Grocery Budget Makeover here.
- Make freezer-friendly meals. Freezer meals offer another great way to save time and money. All it takes is one trip to the grocery store and a few hours in the kitchen, and you can have a week’s worth of freezer meals at your fingertips for a fraction of what you probably pay to feed you and your family. Of course, there’s a science behind this method – you need to know what to buy, what to make, and how to prepare it FAST. Thankfully, Erin Chase offers another fabulous course called MyFreezEasy which will teach you how to make 10 meals in an hour. I’m not kidding. Sign-up for MyFreezEasy here.
- Shop online. Wherever possible, do all of your shopping online so you can take the time to be more deliberate with your purchases, price match, and find the best coupons and deals available. Ebates offers a fabulous platform for online savings by paying its members cash back every time they shop online while also providing access to the best coupons and deals available. It’s free to join and offers a great way to make a few extra dollars on your every day purchases. And when you shop online, you’re less likely to be tempted to buy things you don’t need! Sign-up for Ebates here.
A wise person once said, ‘Be stubborn about your goals, and flexible about your methods.’ Along those same lines, Martin Luther King Jr. also said, ‘If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but whatever you do, keep moving forward.’
Spring is about new beginnings, and whether you implement only one of these ways to spring clean your life, or go for gold and attempt all of them, the only way is up.
Stay positive, my friends!
This post contains affiliate links.
If you found this collection of ways to spring clean your life helpful, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more helpful tips and tricks to keep you in a state of zen, please follow our Health board where we share all kinds of fabulousness!