Craving a vegan treat? Whether you follow a vegan lifestyle or you’re looking to incorporate more vegan foods into your diet, these vegan dessert recipes are definitely worth a try. Made without animal byproducts typically used in desserts, such as milk and butter, these recipes will prove just how delicious vegan treats can be. We’re also letting you in on the deal with sugar and why it’s not always vegan-friendly. Check out 60 of our favourite incredibly easy vegan desserts!
Is Sugar Vegan?
When we ask whether sugar is vegan-friendly, we’re typically asking about refined sugar aka table sugar. Refined sugar is most commonly used in baking, and comes from two sources: sugarcane and beets. While sugar that comes from beets is always vegan (as it requires less processing), cane sugar is only sometimes vegan-friendly.
To make refined sugar from sugarcane, the stalks are crushed to separate the juice from the pulp. The juice is processed, filtered and bleached with bone char. This is where the pure white colour comes from. Cane sugar doesn’t actually contain bone char, but since it’s used in the process, most vegans stay away from this type of sugar.
5 Best Vegan Sweeteners
1. Beet Sugar
Sugar made from beets is completely vegan, as the process doesn’t contain bone char. Beet sugar is made by thinly slicing sugar beets to extract the natural sugar juice. The juice is then purified and heated to create a concentrated syrup, which is crystallized to form sugar. It has virtually the same taste and texture as cane sugar, but it’s not always clear whether store-bought refined sugar is made from beets or sugar cane.
2. Coconut Sugar
Coconut sugar is derived from the coconut palm tree, by collecting the liquid sap inside the coconut flower. The sap is then heated until all the water is evaporated. The sugar is said to retain some of the nutrients of the palm, including potassium, calcium, zinc and iron.
3. Brown Rice Syrup
This natural sweetener is made from brown rice and is prepared by breaking down scratch in the grains, which results in easily digestible sugars. Brown rice syrup doesn’t contain fructose, so is considered healthier than normal sugars.
4. Maple Syrup
Maple syrup is made from the sap of the maple tree, and is healthier than refined sugar due to its antioxidant and mineral content. This sweetener is extremely rich in manganese and also contains potassium, calcium, zinc and iron.
5. Date Syrup
Although it’s not technically syrup, date syrup is made by grinding de-seeded grapes in lukewarm water. It’s rich in dietary fibre as well as calcium, magnesium and potassium. It’s a great alternative to sugar and can be used as a sweetener for all your desserts!
15 Easy Vegan Dessert Recipes
1. No Bake Vegan Cookies | Love and Lemons
2. Vegan Chocolate Pudding | A Couple Cooks
3. Easy Vegan Lemon Cake | The Vegan 8
4. 3-Ingredient Vegan Ice Cream | Love and Lemons
5. Vegan Chocolate Sweet Rolls | Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate
6. Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies | A Couple Cooks
7. Tofu Cheesecake | The Spruce Eats
8. Raw Carrot Cake Bites | My Darling Vegan
9. Easy Peach Cobbler | Love and Lemons
10. Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies | A Couple Cooks
11. Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Mug Cake | Kitchen Treaty
12. Rhubarb and Star Anise Sorbet | BBC Good Food
13. 3-Ingredient Banana Oatmeal Cookies | The Simple Veganista
14. Spiced Cashew Coconut Brittle | Martha Stewart
15. Vegan Strawberry Shortcake | The Simple Veganista
15 Sugar-Free Vegan Dessert Recipes
1. Sugar-Free Chocolate Vegan Cake | Eat Plant-Based
2. Healthy Vegan Snickers Bars | The Big Man’s World
3. Chunky Monkey Cookies | Elephantastic Vegan
4. Sugar-Free Vegan Carrot Cake | Eggless Cooking
5. 4-Ingredient Chocolate Mousse | Nutrition Studies
6. Date-Sweetened Baklava | Sweet Simple Vegan
7. Chocolate Peppermint Donuts | Feasting on Fruit
8. Sugar-Free Cookie Dough Dip | Chocolate Covered Katie
9. Sweet Potato Brownies with Chocolate Sauce | Deliciously Ella
10. Vegan Berry Cheesecake Cups | Nourished by Caroline
11. Vegan Avocado Ice Cream | Elephantastic Vegan
12. Vegan Lemon Cake | Bakerita
13. Vegan Tiramisu Truffles | Vegan Richa
14. Vegan Coconut Snowball Cookies | Minimalist Baker
15. Sugar-Free Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes | Natvia
15 Keto Vegan Dessert Recipes
1. No Bake Keto Vegan Cookie Dough Bars | Sweet as Honey
2. Vegan Keto Coffee and Cocoa Donuts | Written by Vegan
3. Keto Chocolate Cake | Chocolate Covered Katie
4. No Bake Keto Brownie Bites | Cassidy’s Craveable Creations
5. Vegan Keto Cupcakes | My Sweet Keto
6. Healthy No Bake Gingerbread Cookie Bars | The Big Man’s World
7. Keto Chocolate Chia Pudding | Low Carb Maven
8. Vegan Keto Chocolate Popsicles | Low Carb Yum
9. Vegan Pecan Pie Bars | The Big Man’s World
10. Keto Vegan Coconut Flour Cookies | Power Hungry
11. Healthy Chocolate Tart | Tastes Lovely
12. Keto Vegan Sugar Cookies | The Fit Cookie
13. No Bake Vegan Keto Pumpkin Cheesecake Bites | Mind Over Munch
14. Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Pie | Any Reason Vegans
15. Vegan Keto Coconut Macaroons | The Bespoke Bites
15 Low Calorie Vegan Dessert Recipes
1. 100 Calorie Chocolate Cake | Chocolate Covered Katie
2. Fudgy Vegan Low Fat Brownies | The Vegan 8
3. Low Calorie Vegan Oatmeal Cookies | The Spruce Eats
4. 100 Calorie Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake | The Big Man’s World
5. Vegan Blueberry Coconut Popsicles | Beaming Baker
6. Low Fat Vegan Vanilla Pudding | The Spruce Eats
7. Skinny Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies | Veg Annie
8. Bite-Size Strawberry Cheesecakes | Pop Sugar
9. Low Calorie Vegan Apple Crumble | Lose Weight by Eating
10. Vegan Strawberry Sorbet | The Spruce Eats
11. Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread Bites | I’m Heatherr
12. Vegan 2-Ingredient Cantaloupe Ice Cream | Elephantastic Vegan
13. 70-Calorie Vegan Fudge Brownies | Power Hungry
14. Low Calorie Vegan Lemon Loaf | Peanut Butter and Jilly
15. Vegan Meringue Cookies | Eating Well
These vegan desserts are easy and delicious and will make a great addition to your recipe rotation, whether you’re vegan or not!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you enjoy this round up of vegan dessert recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more healthy recipes? Make sure to follow our Food and Recipes Board on Pinterest!