When my husband and I were first married, we both worked crazy hours and didn’t have time to cook elaborate meals when we got home at the end of each day, so we ordered a lot of take-out, made a lot of sandwiches, and kept our kitchen cupboards stocked with a lot of soup instead.
But every once in a while, when one of us left the office a little early and had time to stop at the grocery store on the way home, we’d get the fixings for my husband’s famous guacamole recipe, pop into Blockbuster to rent a movie (remember when you actually had to GO to the video store?!), and make a night of it.
And each time we dug into that huge bowl of green goodness, I always told my husband it was the most delicious guacamole recipe I’d ever eaten in my entire life.
Because each time we made it, it seemed better than the last time, you know?
It’s been years since we’ve done something spontaneous and fun like that, and since we have 4 perfectly ripe avocados in our fruit bowl, I’m going to put our daughter to bed early tonight, open a bottle of white, find something on Netflix, and recreate history.
Here’s the recipe!
- 4 ripe avocados
- 2 ripe tomatoes (it doesn't matter what kind, as long as they are ripe)
- 1 lime
- Half a Spanish onion
- Cilantro to taste (optional)
- Tortilla chips (we prefer Tostitos Scoop Tortilla Chips)
- Cut each avocado in half, remove the pit, scoop out the inside, and place in a large bowl
- Mash to desired consistency (we like to keep it a bit chunky as it's easier to scoop with tortilla chips)
- Dice tomatoes and onion and mix into avocado
- Squeeze fresh lime juice into mixture and stir
- Add cilantro to taste (optional)
- Serve with tortilla chips and Corona beer
If you enjoyed this guacamole recipe as much as we have over the years, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more delicious recipes to add to your weekly rotation, please follow our Food board where we share all kinds of great ideas!