With summer break quickly approaching, you may be wondering how to keep your kids busy during those long, hot summer days.
Summertime is the perfect opportunity to get your kids involved in preparing and making meals and snacks. Teaching them how to cook is a skill they will use for the rest of their lives. They’ll also be more confident and more likely to make healthy choices.
It all starts with teaching them the skills they need, gathering the right tools, and having a list of easy and healthy summer recipes for kids.
8 Tips to Get Kids Involved in the Kitchen
If your kids aren’t excited about cooking, or they’ve never helped prepare a meal before, these 8 tips will get them involved in the kitchen in no time!
- Invite them to help – Start things off by inviting them to cook with you in the kitchen. Let them know that they’re welcome and that the kitchen is a fun place to be.
- Give them their own tools – When they have their own kid-size tools, you’ll make it easier for them to learn and less likely to injure themselves.
- Make it easy – Use a lower table they can easily reach, or purchase a kid-sized stool that puts them at counter level.
- Offer a taste – Let your child taste ingredients before and during cooking. You will not only expand their palette, but they’re more likely to eat what they make.
- Give them a job – Assign tasks that are appropriate for their age and abilities. Have them set the timer, measure ingredients, or cut up fruits and vegetables.
- Grow your own food – Whether it’s a garden in your backyard or a simple window garden, your child will love growing and eating fresh ingredients.
- Go shopping – Take your child along with you to the grocery store or let them be a part of your online shopping order so they can be a part of choosing the ingredients.
- Let them choose the recipe – When kids choose a recipe, they’re more likely to try new things. Give them a selection of healthy recipes (like the ones below!)
6 Cooking Essentials for Kids
This list of 6 cooking essentials for kids will help them stay safe in the kitchen and make them feel special!
- Bowls & Spoons – Kids can easily mix and measure ingredients.
- Kid-safe knives – A colorful way to keep them safe in the kitchen.
- Counter stool – A kitchen essential that’s worth the investment.
- Kid-size oven mitts – Heat resistant and the perfect size for small hands.
- Apron – Fit just for them, with big pockets and adjustable straps.
- Cooking Utensils – Includes a whisk, tongs, rolling pin, and spatula.
12 Breakfast Summer Recipes for Kids
Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie | Insanely Good
Easy to make with just 5 yummy ingredients.
Chocolate and Strawberry Stuffed French Toast | Food Network
Topped with strawberries and powdered sugar, it’s sure to be a hit!
Yogurt Parfaits | Insanely Good
Delicious layers of fruit, yogurt, and granola.
Fruit Rainbow | Two Healthy Kitchens
Colorful goodness that’s an extra-special start to the day.
Easy Banana Muffins | BBC Good Food
Your kids will be asking for more of these tasty muffins.
Mango and Coconut Pancakes | Delicious
A summery breakfast that’s sure to please.
Bacon Cheddar Biscuits | My Baking Addiction
Flaky, tender, and full of flavor.
Lemon Raspberry Baked Oatmeal | She Likes Food
A sweet and tart make-ahead breakfast.
Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos | Fit Foodie Finds
Grab-and-go breakfast you can enjoy all week long.
Peach Puff Pastry Pop Tarts | Half-Baked Harvest
Ditch the store-bought version and make them yourselves!
Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie Bowls | Show Me the Yummy
Classic childhood flavors in a smoothie bowl.
Cornbread Blueberry Pancakes | A Cozy Kitchen
Top these super-fluffy pancakes with warm maple syrup.
10 Lunch Summer Recipes for Kids
Veggie Faces | Two Healthy Kitchens
Your kiddos can create edible art with these no-bake pizzas and wraps.
Classic Egg Salad | The Spruce Eats
Spread this comforting favorite on toasted bread.
Hungry Hippos Sandwich | Two Healthy Kitchens
This cute twist on a PB&J will have your kids smiling :)
Rainbows and Butterflies Pasta Salad | Food Network
Colorful, tasty, and cute as can be!
Pita Pizza | Super Healthy Kids
A quick, easy way to feed your kids fast!
Pizza Sliders | Eating Well
Fun, kid-friendly burgers with a pizza twist.
Sloppy Joes | BBC Good Food
A messy but delicious meal on a bun
Turkey Ranch Roll Ups | The Pinning Mama
Perfect for lunch at home or on the go.
Quick and Crunchy Lettuce Wraps | Super Healthy Kids
Easy for your kids to cook, eat, and clean up!
Baked Ham and Cheese Quesadillas | The Spruce Eats
A fun twist on a classic quesadilla.
10 Dinner Summer Recipes for Kids
Pizza Pockets | Food Network
Easy-to-eat pizzas filled with yummy ingredients.
Broccoli Pasta Shells | BBC Good Food
A healthier take on pasta that adds a daily dose of veggies.
BBQ Carrot Dogs | Eating Well
Your kids will never know what these dogs are missing!
Kids’ Bolognese | Delicious
A simple crowd pleaser your kids will love to make.
Pepperoni Pizza Pasta Salad | Life in the Lofthouse
Pasta plus pepperoni equals a perfect summer dinner.
Grilled Chicken Tenders | Nourish Plate
A quick, flavorful dinner perfect for dipping.
Confetti Rice | Erica’s Recipes
A colorful way to get them to eat their veggies.
Cheesy BBQ Chicken Wraps | Two Healthy Kitchens
Melty cheese and bold flavor make the perfect quick meal.
Creamy Chicken Spaghetti | The Short Order Cook
A one-pot meal that both kids and parents will enjoy!
Homemade Tostadas | Belly Rules the Mind
A recipe with classic flavors and fresh ingredients.
11 Snacks and Dessert Summer Recipes for Kids
Ants on a Log | Healthy Little Foodies
This classic snack is the perfect combo of veggies and protein.
No-Bake Fruit Pizza | Crayons & Cravings
The perfect summer dessert for kids with cream cheese and fresh fruit.
Graham Cracker Faces | Food.com
These silly snacks are fun and easy to make.
Ice Cream in a Bag | The Best Ideas for Kids
A must-try sweet treat for summer!
Italian Ice Pops | Food Network
These frozen treats on a stick are sure to disappear quickly.
Watermelon Pizza | Momables
Sweet and juicy with kid-friendly toppings.
Pineapple Orange Creamsicle Smoothies | Two Healthy Kitchens
A refreshing, tropical treat perfect for a summer day.
Easy Vanilla Cupcakes | BBC Good Food
Add fruit or sprinkles to these simple summer cupcakes.
Mango Freezy Popsicles | Laura Fuentes
A perfect combination of healthy and delicious.
Vanilla Bean Frozen Yogurt | Momables
Frozen yogurt with only 3 ingredients!
Blueberry Frozen Yogurt Bark | Betsy Haley
A simple, sweet snack full of protein and prebiotics.
Now that you have the perfect list of summer recipes for kids, it’s time to get cooking!