When my cousin was about 10-years-old, he started having problems at school. He never wanted to go, complained of tummy aches, and when he finally opened up to my aunt about what was going on, she discovered one of the boys in his class was picking on him.
I can’t remember the details of everything that happened afterwards, although I’m sure there were visits with the school and discussions with the parents, but no matter how hard my aunt tried, she couldn’t figure out a way to get this bully to stop picking on her son.
And I’m sure it was heartbreaking.
So when it came time to plan his 11th birthday party, she found herself in a bit of a pickle. Did she invite the whole class, including the jerk who was making her son’s life miserable, or should she stick to only a few kids to keep the peace and ensure it was a nice celebration?
In the end, my mother convinced her to invite everyone, and then the 2 of them went out of there way to plan THE BEST birthday party a kid could ask for. It was huge and crazy and over-the-top, and while I’m sure the other kids were impressed, the thing that made a difference was the incredible scavenger hunt my aunt put together. It took her HOURS to coordinate it all – coming up with ideas, writing up clues, etc. – but she really pulled it off and the boys had a great time.
Even the bully.
And my cousin wasn’t picked on after that.
He was finally accepted.
Now, I’m well aware such tactics probably won’t work in this day and age – I think kids a lot meaner these days – but I’m still a huge fan of scavenger hunts at birthday parties as I find they foster team work and excitement when executed correctly, and I find they also make great independent play ideas for kids who are stuck at home on bad weather days.
Whether you need nature-inspired outdoor ideas for a summer birthday party or camping trip, or want indoor options for sick days, this collection of 25 scavenger hunt ideas will not disappoint!
1. Puzzle Treasure Hunt (My Kids’ Adventures)
2. Alphabet Scavenger Hunt (Best Activities For Kids)
3. Adjectives Scavenger Hunt (Or So She Says)
4. City Scavenger Hunt (No Wooden Spoons)
5. Hiking Scavenger Hunt (Down Home Inspiration)
6. Valentine’s Day Scavenger Hunt (Kasey Trenum)
7. Zoo Scavenger Hunt (Free Homeschool Deals)
8. Human Scavenger Hunt (Miss Lifesaver)
9. Sight Word Scavenger Hunt (No Time For Flashcards)
10. Bookshelf Scavenger Hunt (Scholastic)
11. Road Trip Find It (Carla Schauer)
12. Summer Scavenger Hunts (The Resourceful Mama)
13. Spring Scavenger Hunt (One Perfect Day Blog)
14. Park Scavenger Hunt (Moms and Munchkins)
15. Neighborhood Photo Scavenger Hunt (Pretty Printables For You)
16. Road Trip Bingo (Moritz Fine Designs)
17. Nature Walks and Scavenger Hunts (CCPRN)
18. Grocery Store Scavenger Hunt (Empowered By Them)
19. Birthday Scavenger Hunt (Love and Marriage Blog)
20. Indoor Scavenger Hunt (The Mother Chic)
21. Simple Scavenger Hunt (East Coast Mommy Blog)
22. Rhyming Riddle Scavenger Hunt (Celebrate Every Day With Me)
23. Color Hunt (No Time For Flashcards)
24. Picture Scavenger Hunt (Doodlecraft Blog)
25. Riddle Game – What Am I? (Consider Me Inspired)
If you liked this collection of scavenger hunt ideas, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more ways to have fun with your kids, please follow our Kids board where we share all kinds of great ideas!