Mushrooms are one of the healthiest and most delicious foods to cook with. When cooked right, you get tender, succulent mushrooms that will enhance the flavour of any dish. Mushroom recipes are extremely versatile. You can use them in anything from pastas to soups, as side dishes, appetizers and so much more. Not only do they boost the flavour of your favourite recipes, they’re also full of nutrients and vitamins that keep your body at its best. If you’re a mushroom lover, here are 50 amazing mushroom recipes to enjoy – sauteed, stuffed, and everything in between.
How To Cook with Mushrooms At Home: 8 Tips
1. Never Soak Mushrooms
It’s okay to quickly wash mushrooms off, but make sure not to soak them in water. You want them to be clean and dry when they’re cooked, and since they absorb water when they’re soaked, if they’re wet, they won’t brown when they cook. Soaking them will diminish their flavour, which is the reason you’re cooking with them in the first place!
2. Prep Them For Cooking
Now it’s time to prep your mushrooms for cooking by cutting, and in some cases, gutting them. If you’re cooking with portobello mushrooms, you may want to remove the gills by scraping them out with a spoon. They’re edible but some people choose not to eat them. You’ll want to remove the stems for shiitake and portobello mushrooms before cooking with them. For most other mushrooms, you can leave the stem on and cut them up into quarters, or however you like the eat them best.
3. Use High Heat
Mushrooms should be cooked on high heat. Don’t cook them on the highest level, as you don’t want them to burn, but your stovetop should be hot enough to sear them, not just steam them. Every stove is different, but medium to medium high usually does the trick!
4. Add Fat
When you’re sauteeing mushrooms on your stovetop, you’ll need to cook them with fat – typically olive oil or butter. Make sure you use enough fat to cover the entire bottom of the pan, and you’ll be using it at the start and middle of the cooking process. Butter especially brings out the delicious flavour of mushrooms, so it’s recommended for best tasting results!
5. Don’t Stir Mushrooms
It can be tempting to stir mushrooms when they’re cooking, but a secret tip is to resist temptation! When you add the mushrooms to the pan with the fat (oil or butter), you only need to stir them once, then leave them be. Most mushrooms reduce by half when they cook, and you’ll notice they start to get golden edges. At this point you can add more butter, flip the mushrooms and let them sit again without stirring them.
6. Stuff Mushrooms For An Appetizer or Side Dish
One of the best ways to cook with mushrooms is to stuff them. First, clean out the gills of the mushrooms to make room for the stuffing. Choose your stuffing – this can be anything from cheese to spinach to crab – and place it into the mushroom until there is enough filling to create a small mound above the mushroom cap. Bake them for 10 to 20 minutes around 375*F.
7. Sautee Mushrooms
To get a good sautee on your mushrooms, cook them in a large, wide skillet or sautee pan. Cut them into quarters and add a bit of butter and a dash of white wine or sherry to create a succulent sauce. The mushrooms should be spread out in a single layer in the pan to maximize their contact with the hot pan and allow for quick moisture evaporation.
8. Make A Lemon and Garlic Marinade
When it comes to elevating the flavour of mushrooms, lemon and garlic will always do the trick. Create a lemon and garlic marinade by mixing lemon juice with fresh parsley, olive oil and garlic. You can use this when you sautee mushrooms to give them a big dose of flavour.
10 Vegetarian Mushroom Recipes
1. Mushroom Rice | RecipeTinEats
2. Vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff | Gimme Some Oven
3. Creamy Mushroom Pasta | Salt and Lavender
4. Mushroom Bourguignon with Potato Cauliflower Mash | Vegan Richa
5. Asparagus Mushroom Pasta | Recipes From a Pantry
6. Vegetarian Mushroom Philly Cheesesteak with Caramelized Onions | Cozy Peach Kitchen
7. Baked Portobello Mushrooms | Sip and Feast
8. Broccoli and Mushroom Stir Fry | Skinny Ms.
9. Vegan Mushroom Wellington | Delicious Everyday
10. Pappardelle Pasta and Mushroom Ragu | Family Style Food
10 Stuffed Mushroom Recipes
1. Mouthwatering Stuffed Mushrooms | Let’s Dish
2. Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms | A Spicy Perspective
3. Quick and Creamy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms | Small Town Woman
4. Pizza Portobellos | Delish
5. Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms | Will Cook For Smiles
6. Stuffed Mushrooms with Cream Cheese | The Salty Side Dish
7. Spinach Stuffed Portobellos | Healthy Recipes
8. Crab Stuffed Mushrooms | Peas and Crayons
9. Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms | The Chunky Chef
10. Classic Italian Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms | Neurotic Mommy
10 Sauteed Mushroom Recipes
1. Cauliflower Puree with Sauteed Mushrooms | Veggie Chick
2. Garlic Butter Sauteed Mushrooms | Curry Trail
3. Italian Sauteed Mushrooms | Oh, Sweet Basil
4. Easy Sauteed Mushrooms | Eazy Peazy Mealz
5. Honey Balsamic Garlic Mushrooms | Kitchn
6. Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions | Sunday Supper Movement
7. Sauteed Butter Mushrooms in White Wine, Garlic and Lemon | Best Recipe Box
8. Sauteed Spinach and Mushrooms | Food Network
9. Dandelion Greens with Sauteed Mushrooms | My Body My Kitchen
10. Sauteed Herbed Cremini Mushrooms | Zen & Spice
10 Mushroom Soup Recipes
1. Creamy Garlic Mushroom Soup | Budget Bytes
2. Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup | Keto Cooking Christian
3. Creamy Roasted Mushroom Soup | Damn Delicious
4. Hungarian Mushroom Soup | The Modern Proper
5. Instant Pot Mushroom Barley Soup | Recipe Teacher
6. Healthy Mushroom Soup | Inspiration Kitchen
7. Low Carb Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup | A Spicy Perspective
8. Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup | My Zuperrr Kitchen
9. Loaded Mushroom Soup | Salt & Lavender
10. Creamy Turkey Mushroom Soup | The Endless Meal
10 Mushroom Side Dishes
1. Green Beans with Mushrooms and Bacon | Eat the Gains
2. Baked Mushrooms in Parmesan Cream Sauce | Creative Culinary
3. Ginger Soy Roasted Mushrooms | Wonky Wonderful
4. Creamy Garlic Mushrooms with Bacon | Diethood
5. Rosemary Mushrooms | Easy Low Carb
6. Spicy Mushroom Rice | Mantitlement
7. Roasted Garlic Asparagus and Mushrooms | Ahead of Thyme
8. Teriyaki Green Beans and Mushrooms | Plain Chicken
9. Boursin Stuffed Mushrooms | Simply Recipes
10. Mushroom Sautee with Rosemary, Garlic and Red Wine | Happy Healthy Mama
Mushroom dishes are delicious and healthy, and with all these recipes, you have tons to choose from whenever your household is craving the tasty food!
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved this post on our favourite mushroom recipes, make sure to share it on Pinterest!
And if you want access to more healthy recipes, be sure to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!