There’s nothing quite like a warm, fluffy muffin right out of the oven. But if you’re following a gluten-free diet, it can be hard to find muffin recipes that taste as amazing as their gluten-filled counterparts. Muffin lovers, rejoice! Because we’ve gathered 25 delicious gluten-free muffin recipes to satisfy any craving.
6 Tips for Making Gluten-Free Muffins
- Double check – Always be sure to double check the labels of every ingredient to ensure that they are in fact gluten-free.
- Room Temp Matters – When you’re baking, it’s important to bring your cold ingredients to room temperature before mixing. The same rule applies to gluten-free baking.
- Get The Best Rise – To get the best rise out of your muffins, always be sure to let the oven fully preheat before you bake. Turn the temperature up slightly at the beginning of the baking cycle to create a rapid rise then turn the temperature back down.
- Mix, Mix, Mix – When baking gluten-free, you always want to make sure to mix the batter very thoroughly. Doing so helps to create elasticity, which gluten-free baked goods normally don’t have.
- Measure Carefully – You always want to measure your ingredients carefully when baking, but for gluten-free recipes it’s even more important. Even adding an extra tablespoon of flour can affect how your muffins will rise.
- Freeze a Batch – Gluten-free muffins are very freezer friendly. After your muffins cool, simply pop them into a freezer bag and then into your freezer. When you’re ready to eat them, take them out of the bag and defrost them at room temperature.
11 Gluten-Free Flour Alternatives
Store these gluten-free flour alternatives in an airtight glass container, instead of the packaging they came in, to keep them fresh longer and keep them free from moisture. Even better, store them in the refrigerator if possible, to keep them from spoiling. Check the label carefully to find out how long each is shelf stable.
- Millet flour – Mild and slightly nutty, it’s great for muffins as well as quick breads. Avoid using it in large amounts because it can cause a starchy aftertaste or make your muffins course.
- Sorghum flour – Great for baking, this flour is similar to wheat flour minus the gluten. It has a smooth texture but be aware that it may make your baked goods look slightly darker in color.
- Amaranth flour – This flour alternative is high in fiber, low in carbs, and packs a protein punch. It absorbs water quite easily, so you want to make sure to mix your batter properly, so your muffins don’t turn out dense.
- Chickpea flour – This sturdy flour works best with non-chocolate baked goods. It’s not only great for muffins, but also for cookies, tortillas, and flatbreads.
- Coconut flour – This flour alternative helps your baked goods turn out light and fluffy. However, you want to only use ¼ to ⅓ of what the recipe asks for. Because it tends to fall apart quite easily, you’ll want to make sure to mix your coconut flour with almond meal – three parts almond meal, one part coconut flour.
- Teff flour – This flour alternative is full of fiber and high in protein and calcium. It works well in muffins, as well as cookies, cakes, and brownies.
- Cassava flour – Made from a root vegetable called yucca, cassava flour contains a lot of fiber. It’s similar to wheat flour, and it’s not grainy or gritty.
- Almond flour – Full of nutrients and low in carbs, almond flour is quite sweet in flavor. It’s not only great to use when you’re baking muffins, but it also works well in pie crusts. It’s the perfect option for gluten-free breads and dinner rolls as well.
- Potato flour – Made from an entire potato, this flour can give your muffins an earthy texture.
- Brown rice flour – Use this flour sparingly so your muffins won’t have a gritty texture. It adds a nutty flavor to muffins, breads, and cookies.
- Oat flour – Oat flour is not only gluten-free, but it also has some great health benefits like lowering your cholesterol and reducing your risk of heart disease. It also makes your muffins light and fluffy.
25 Gluten-Free Muffin Recipes
There are so many flavors to choose from – it’ll be hard to pick a favorite!
- Gluten-Free Cinnamon Roll Muffins | Mama Knows Gluten Free
- Bakery-Style Gluten-Free Carrot Muffins | Gluten Free On a Shoestring
- Gluten-Free Lemon Raspberry Muffins | Real Food Real Deals
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Banana Split Muffins | What the Fork
- Gluten-Free Lemon Blueberry Muffins | Mom Loves Baking
- Almond Flour Pumpkin Muffins | Well Plated by Erin
- Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins | What the Fork
- Gluten-Free Vegan Gingerbread Muffins | Rhian’s Recipes
- Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Muffins | Mile High Mitts
- Gluten-Free Banana Muffins | Gimme Delicious
- Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins | Gluten-Free Baking
- Bakery-Style Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Muffins | The Loopy Whisk
- Gluten-Free Strawberry Muffins | Mama Shire
- Chunky Gluten-Free Apple Muffins | Gluten Free On a Shoestring
- Gluten-Free Peach Streusel Muffins | Meaningful Eats
- Gluten-Free Cranberry Muffins | Real Food Real Deals
- Gluten-Free Cinnamon Streusel Muffins | A Mindfull Mom
- Gluten-Free Strawberry Almond Butter Muffins | Ambitious kitchen
- Gluten-free Cornbread Muffins | Ambitious Kitchen
- Gluten-Free Orange Muffins | Build Your Bite
- Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Muffins | What the Fork
- Gluten-Free Apple Muffins | Everyday Made Fresh
- Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Muffins | Mama Knows Gluten Free
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins | Erin Lives Whole
- Gluten-Free Banana Nut Muffins | What the Fork
Start warming up your oven and have fun baking up some gluten-free muffins!
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved these gluten-free muffin recipes, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more healthy recipes, please follow our Food board!