As a mom, it can be hard to put yourself first. Life gets crazy and the struggle for self-care becomes too real.
Your time is valuable, and you can’t seem to get enough of it.
So how do you change that? These tips and self-care ideas will teach you how to put yourself first as a mom.
3 Ways to ask for help
As women, our brains have been trained to think we should be doing everything ourselves. But that shouldn’t be the case. Asking for help is important and doesn’t need to be hard. These tips will help you figure out how to put yourself first as a mom and get the help you deserve.
- Team Up – Have a conversation with your partner to let them know you are burned out, tired, and stressed, and need some time for yourself. Work together to find ways to share the everyday duties of taking care of your kids and your home so that you’ll have moments during the day where you can focus only on you.
- Outsource – If you don’t have someone to share the load, or if you and your partner are simply stretched too thin, it may be time to outsource. Friends or family can help you when you need an extra hand with childcare. Or consider hiring a cleaning service to help around the house.
- Talk to your kids – Even younger kids can understand what it means to have tasks or responsibilities. Talk with your kids to let them know that you expect them to do their part to help around the house. Let them know that when everyone chips in to get things done, it makes a less-stressed mommy and more time for fun!
4 Time-Management Tips
Part of putting yourself first is learning how to manage your time. These 4 time-management tips will help you find more time for you.
- Get up early – Waking up before your kids allows you some uninterrupted time to do the things that get you focused and ready for the day. That could be meditation, exercise, or simply enjoying a hot cup of coffee.
- Make a to-do list – Writing things down helps to clear your mind and keeps you organized. Take some time each day to make a list of things you need to accomplish. Set realistic goals and check off tasks as you complete them.
- Get things done – Schedule your least favorite chores or tasks earlier in the day. This way you can leave the rest of your day open to enjoying the things (and the people!) that you love.
- Do it online – Simplify things by utilizing the internet to take care of tasks. Pay your bills, set up a food delivery, schedule a repair, or order gifts for family and friends.
8 Self-Care Ideas
Nothing feels better than a little self-care. It doesn’t have to be complicated or take a lot of time. Doing something for yourself can help to relieve stress and exhaustion, and avoid burnout. Here are 8 of our favorite self-care ideas.
- Pamper yourself – Pampering can include any number of things. Relax in a hot bath, enjoy a spa treatment, splurge on your favorite treat, or catch some extra zzz’s.
- Enjoy time with friends – Friends are a great support system and spending time with them is a great way to enjoy some self-care. Go out to lunch, take a walk, do a little shopping, or simply relax and enjoy each other’s company.
- Focus on exercise – One of the best ways to take care of yourself is to get moving! Do some yoga, take your bike out for a spin around the block, go for a walk, or work in your garden.
- Boost your brainpower – Exercising your brain can help improve your focus. Relax with a good book, do a crossword puzzle, write in your journal, or take time to meditate.
- Try something new – Doing something you’ve never done before is exciting and a great way to take some time for yourself. Try a new sport, travel to a place you’ve never been, or check out that restaurant you’ve always wanted to visit.
- Hone your skills – Think about what you do best and take it up a notch. Improve your cooking skills by taking a new class or trying a new recipe. Get back into a sport you love by joining a team. Or grab your art supplies and start creating!
- Have fun – Getting silly and having fun is self-care. Have a dance party in your living room, enjoy a concert, have a game night with family and friends, or watch a funny movie.
- Unwind – Make your home a place where you can unwind. Fill your pantry with your favorite drinks and snacks. Create a cozy space where you can take a nap or read a book. Or fill your home with things that make you happy – fresh flowers, a collection of art, or your favorite candles.
Learning how to put yourself first as a mom takes time. It’s natural to put the needs of others before your own – you’re only human.
There is no better time than now to let go of the guilt, ask for help, and indulge in a little self-care!
This post contains affiliate links.
If you’re trying to figure to how to put yourself first as a mom and found these tips helpful, please share this post on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more parenting tips, please follow our Parenting board where we share all kinds of great ideas we find each day!