Acai bowls are one of the most delicious, energizing breakfasts you can eat! I had my first acai bowl on the beautiful island of Maui in Hawaii and I’ve been hooked ever since. The only downside about ordering an acai bowl at a restaurant is they definitely don’t come cheap. It’s great to treat yourself once in a while, but what’s even better is learning how to make acai bowls at home! They’re the perfect breakfast, offering fuel, nutrients and plenty of health benefits. What better way to start your day? Here are our favourite acai bowl tips and recipes for weight loss!
What is Acai?
Acai berries are one of the most popular superfoods today, boasting anti-aging and weight loss properties. Similar in appearance to grapes, the acai berry has a tropical, naturally sweet taste. Its flavour profile is very versatile, making it a great pairing for many different ingredients. Acai berries grow on acai palm trees, native to Central and South America. You likely won’t find it fresh in stores as it has a very short shelf life, so look for acai fruit puree in the freezer section of the grocery store or buy acai powder online.
What Are the Health Benefits of Acai Berries?
1. Rich in Antioxidants
Acai berries have a very high antioxidant count, making them one of the healthiest foods out there. Antioxidants neutralize the damaging effects of free radicals throughout the body, which can lead to diseases including cancer and heart disease. Antioxidant compounds of acai have also been found to be well absorbed by the gut!
2. Immune Booster
With high levels of vitamin C, along with ellagic acid- an antioxidant that suppresses cancer cell growth, acai strengthens the body’s cells. This makes it easier for your body to fight off infections and invasion of free radicals. A healthy immune system ensures optimal overall health.
3. Weight Loss
The antioxidants in acai berries lead to lower cholesterol levels in the body, which in turn leads to weight loss. It helps bring your body back to its most optimal state, balancing hormones, boosting metabolism and making your heart healthier. Your body also becomes cleansed of the toxins of a poor diet, helping you reach your weight loss goals.
4. Increased Energy
There’s nothing better than starting your day off with a meal that actually makes your feel fuelled! Acai berries boost your energy and stamina, reducing fatigue and improving concentration. Increased stamina also makes it easier to get motivated to go to the gym, helping you in the weight loss department!
What Are the Side Effects of Acai Berries?
1. Aggravating Pollen Allergies
With so many health benefits, there aren’t many side effects of acai berries, but keep in mind, if you’re allergic to pollen, you may have issues with acai berries. If you notice your allergies are aggravated by acai products, take a trip to your doctor.
2. Stomach Irritation
Acai berries can also irritate some people’s colons and intestinal tracts, causing stomach problems like diarrhea.
How to Make Acai Bowls [3 Tips]
1. Make It Creamy
Instead of using fruit juice in your acai smoothie bowl, use something like almond or soy milk. This will help increase the creaminess of your bowl, making it easier to eat and more enjoyable! You can also use creamy ingredients like avocado and frozen bananas.
2. Be Careful with Your Toppings
If one of your main goals with eating acai bowls is to help you lose weight, don’t go overboard with fattening toppings. Toppings like granola and nuts taste great, but they’re also super high in calories. Stick with one or two lower calorie toppings like dried goji berries and unsweetened coconut flakes.
3. Add Protein
Smoothies and smoothie bowls are delicious and nutritious, but can sometimes leave you hungry soon after you consume them. Add a protein source like organic natural peanut butter or chia seeds to ensure you’re satisfied for longer. This will also help stabilize your blood sugar so you don’t experience a crash.
45 Homemade Acai Bowl Recipes To Try
1 Quick and Easy Acai Bowl | Dinner at the Zoo
2. Black Tea Infused Porridge with Acai Berry Ripple and Pistachio Cream | Half Baked Harvest
3. Tropical Acai Bowl | A Taste of Koko
4. Summer Acai Bowl with Buckwheat Granola | Half Baked Harvest
5. Classic Acai Bowl | Bakerita
6. Fall Inspired Acai Bowl | Silja From Scratch
7. Acai Breakfast Bowl | Food Network
8. Mixed Berry Acai Bowl | My Darling Vegan
9. Blueberry Acai Bowl | Choosing Chia
10. Coconut Acai Bowl | What’s Gaby Cooking
11. Copycat Acai Bowl | Layers of Happiness
12. Super Berry Acai Bowl | The Simple Veganista
13. Acai Bowl with Berries and Banana | PopSugar
14. Acai Pineapple Strawberry Bowl | Sambazon
15. Acai Bowl with Berries and Coconut | Williams Sonoma
16. Oat and Berry Acai Bowl | Taste
17. Paleo and Vegan Acai Bowl | The Movement Menu
18. Acai Smoothie Bowl (Vegan and Gluten Free) | Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
19. Acai Bowl with Coconut and Pomegranate | The Lemon Bowl
20. Crunchy (Dairy Free) Acai Bowl | Taste
21. Chocolate Banana Acai Bowl | Gimme Delicious
22. Almond Butter Acai Bowl | The Butter Half
23. Peanut Butter Quinoa Acai Bowl | The Almond Eater
24. Rainbow (Dairy Free) Acai Bowl | Taste
25. Antioxidant Power Acai Smoothie Bowl | Modern Honey
26. Basic Homemade Acai Bowl | Whitney E. RD
27. Acai and Overnight Oats Pudding | Breakfast Criminals
28. Banana Berry Acai Bowl | House of Yumm
29. Post-Workout Protein Acai Bowl | Dr. Anthony Gustin
30. Strawberry Nectarine Acai Bowl | Breakfast Criminals
31. Acai Bowl with Toasted Buckwheat Granola | Madeleine Shaw
32. Acai Energy Bowl | Navitas Organics
33. Peanut Butter Acai Bowl | Becks Lives Healthy
34. Chocolate Acai Bowl | Olive You Whole
35. Healthy Thermomix Acai Bowl | Thermo Bliss
36. Creamy Almond Butter Acai Bowl | A. Vogel
37. Forever Beautiful Acai Bowl | Your Super
38. Watermelon Acai Bowl | Veggiekins
39. Blackberry Acai Bliss Bowl | Tropeaka
40. Pumpkin Papaya Superfood Acai Bowl | Fitness Magazine
41. Refreshing Acai Bowl | Pam’s Daily Dish
42. Low Sugar Acai Bowl | Goodness Me Box
43. Loaded Acai Smoothie Bowl | Nutrition in the Kitchen
44. Creamy Unsweetened Acai Bowl | JS Health
45. Raw Chocolate Acai Bowl | A Little Insanity
Now that you know the health benefits of acai berries and have plenty of acai bowl recipes, will these delicious breakfast bowls become a go-to in your household?
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved this post on how to make acai bowls, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you want more healthy recipes, make sure to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!