Loose, undone waves are on one of the most sought-after looks. Perfect for summer, the beachy hairstyle can be worn casually for a day by the water, or more elegant for a night out. While a curling iron gives you more curl than wave, you can create the perfect lived-in waves with a flat iron. Not only is it super simple, it’s the best way to get the tousled waves everyone loves. Take a look at how to get beautiful flat iron hair waves for every hair length!
Flat Iron Hair Waves: The Basics
- Add Texture: If you have fine, silky hair that doesn’t hold a curl, prep for flat iron waves with a healthy dose of dry shampoo. This is key whether you have just-washed hair or 3-day hair to give it grip and texture. You should also use heat protectant spray before going in with the flat iron.
- S-wave Technique: Separate your hair into one-inch sections and create S-waves by alternating pushing the hair through the iron and pressing the iron down and bevelling it as you slide it down the hair.
- Twirl and Pull Technique: Hold your flat iron at an angle and insert an inch-wide section of hair between the clamps. Turn your iron away from your face, then gently slide it a short way down before twirling the iron away from your face again. Repeat until you reach the end of your hair.
- Wrist Bend Technique: A quick technique where you bend your wrist back and forth. Hold your hair out horizontally from your head. Turn your wrist away as you pass through the section then bend your wrist back toward your hair.
- De-Frizz and Set: Once you’re done with your flat iron, use a small amount of anti-frizz cream or wave spray to give your waves a lived-in look. Then, finish off the look with a light hold hairspray to set the waves in place.
3 Short Hair Flat Iron Hair Waves Tutorials
1. How to Do Waves Like a Hairstylist – Styling Beach Waves for Short Hair with a Flat Iron | Mallory Brooke
If you have a short bob, this tutorial will show you how to do the perfect beach waves with a flat iron and a 1 ½ inch curling iron. This is a super easy way to style short to mid-length hair and get Instagram-worthy loose waves! She recommends products like the Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Primer, the Kevin Murphy Session Hairspray and the GHD Platinum+ Styler 1” for your flat iron.
2. How to: Undone Messy Waves for Short Hair (Curls with a Straightener) | Truly Jamie
Love the look of undone waves? Check out this tutorial where she shows you exactly how to get the look. She gives you her best tips and techniques for styling and uses products including a texture spray, hairspray and the Ouai Finishing Crème.
3. Super Easy Beach Waves Tutorial with a Flat Iron | Jess Sguigna
For a beachy wave look, follow her step-by-step formula to create beautiful flat iron waves. She uses the GHD Gold Flat Iron and offers her tips and techniques for styling perfect beach waves. Using a flat iron really allows you to manipulate and customize your look to get it exactly how you want it. She also recommends using a thermal hair protector before going in with your flat iron.
2 Medium Hair Flat Iron Hair Waves Tutorials
1. How to Wave Your Hair with a Straightener Tutorial | Alexx Coll
This tutorial is super clear and easy to follow, so if you find it difficult to create waves, you’re going to want to watch and listen. She gives you her best tips and tricks to style your mid-length hair with a flat iron to get gorgeous waves. She does the style on freshly washed hair and suggests starting this tutorial with straight hair. She uses products like the Tangle Teezer Brush, a heat protection spray, and a hairspray.
2. Beach Waves Using a Flat Iron for Short/Medium Length Hair | Hey Kayli
These fun beach waves are super easy to do when you follow this tutorial. She does the look on few day hair and suggests using a dry shampoo whether your hair is dirty or clean. If your hair doesn’t hold curl or have a lot of volume, dry shampoo is key! She uses a Chi Flat Iron as well as Light Moroccan Oil (great if you have blonde hair!), and gives you her best tips to create long-lasting waves.
2 Long Hair Flat Iron Hair Waves Tutorials
1. Natural Waves with a Flat Iron Tutorial | Emily DiDonato
Flat iron waves are easier on short to medium hair, but that doesn’t mean those with long hair can’t get the look. In this tutorial, she demonstrates how to get perfect beachy waves for long hair with a flat iron! She starts off by quickly straightening all her hair and then gets to the technique. She recommends using sectioning clips and a scrunchie to help section your hair. She shows you how she gets her waves to look beachy and undone with the last few steps and suggests a shine mist to finish the look.
2. Wavy Hair for a Night Out | My Hair Routine with Hailey Rhode Bieber | Hailey Rhode Bieber
If you’re looking for a go-to night out hairstyle, you’ve come to the right place. Watch how Hailey Bieber gets her loose, messy waves, ideal for a night on the town. She uses products including the Ouai Volume Spray, the Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Dry Shampoo and a light hold hair spray. It’s the perfect look to go out to dinner, date night or out with the girls!
No matter the length of your hair, we hope you loved these hacks for getting the perfect wave using a flat iron!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you enjoy these tips and hacks for flat iron hair waves? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more hair styling tips? Make sure to follow our Beauty Board on Pinterest!