Your brow shape, volume and shade can have a major impact on your entire face. While brow products may not be talked about as often as lipstick or eyeliner, they’re hero products for those of us with sparse brows. Anyone with thinner eyebrows knows what a difference good products can make, so if you want to know how to fill in sparse eyebrows, we’ve rounded up our best tips and tutorials for you!
What Causes Sparse Eyebrows?
- Thyroid issues. If your thyroid gland produces too much or too little of a hormone, your body falls out of balance, disrupting normal processes, including hair growth.
- Stress and anxiety can lead to reduced oxygen to the hair follicles and fluctuating hormone levels that contribute to eyebrow hair loss.
- Nutrient deficiencies such as biotin, vitamin C, iron, vitamins E, B-12 and D, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Pregnancy and childbirth can also lead to hormone fluctuations and cause hair loss.
- Over-plucking your brows causes minor trauma and eventually your hair may stop growing in that spot.
- Harsh makeup or overuse of makeup products can also cause damage that results in the stop of hair growth.
- Eczema can interfere with proper hair growth.
- Psoriasis, an autoimmune disorder, can block hair follicles and stop growth.
- Contact dermatitis can cause inflammation and may inhibit hair growth.
5 Brow Products to Invest In
1. Benefit Gimme Brow Volumizing Gel
Benefit is known for their brow products, and this one takes the cake. It features a buildable, water-resistant and long-lasting formula that helps volumize and tint brows. You’ll get fuller, thicker, natural looking brows with this gel product.
2. IT Cosmetics Brow Power Eyebrow Pencil
If your tool of choice is a brow pencil, this is the one for you. It features an oval tip that mimics the look of real hair and is formulated with nourishing hair ingredients like biotin, grape seed oil and green tea. It lets you create a precise brow look while promoting healthy hair growth.
3. Anastasia Beverley Hills Brow Powder Duo
The powder duo is a two-shade eyebrow powder that you can use together to perfect the ombre eyebrow technique. Customize your brow shade while giving your brows natural-looking texture.
4. Talika Lipocils Expert Eyebrow Growth Serum
This eyebrow revitalizer was made for brows that have been traumatized by sun exposure or over plucking. It’s a conditioning gel with natural ingredients like witch hazel, apple and nettle, that results in fuller, darker brows.
5. Grande Cosmetics Brow Enhancing Serum
This serum promotes the appearance of fuller, bolder looking brows. It’s perfect for sparse, thinning, over-plucked or tail-less brows and contains growth ingredients like amino acids, hyaluronic acid, and vitamin E.
How to Fill In Sparse Eyebrows
1. Groom Your Eyebrows First
Grown out brows are more difficult to fill in because you don’t have a guideline on how to shape them. Getting your brows waxed or threaded can make the process easier because the shape will be obvious. Before filling in your brows, you should also use a brow brush or spoolie to brush your brows upwards. This will help get your brows as full as possible before filling them.
2. Find Your Right Shade
Look for brow products that are a shade lighter than your hair colour. Using a shade that’s too dark can cause your brows to look harsh or obvious, rather than natural. If you have dark brown hair, look for a medium brown product to complement your features, rather than overpower them. If you have blonde hair, a taupe or dark blonde shade will work best.
3. How to Fill In Eyebrows- Hacks, Tips & Tricks for Beginners! Bushy Brow Tutorial | Brianna Fox
This tutorial gives you a step-by-step on how to fill in sparse brows to enhance the look of your natural eyebrows. She uses products like the Benefit Precisely My Brow Pencil, the Rimmel Wonderful Brow and the Anastasia Beverley Hills Pro Pencil. Follow her tips and techniques to get gorgeous, full brows!
4. Do Powder Products Right
If you’re using an eyebrow powder to fill your brows, be sure to use a stiff angled brush. The stiff bristles are great for control when applying the product, as well as defining your eyebrow shape. Apply the powder in angles following the way your hair is growing for best results.
5. Try a Pencil
An eyebrow pencil is a great tool for filling in sparse spots. Hold the pencil lightly and draw hair strokes in the sparse areas to make your brows look more full. You can also use a stiff angled brush or spoolie to soften the lines as needed, so they look nice and natural, rather than too harsh.
6. Foolproof Feathery Brow Tutorial | Allana Davison
If you’re into the fluffy, feathery brow look, learn how to do it with this tutorial. She demonstrates two of her favourite ways to achieve this look and gives you her best brow tips and tricks to do it in the easiest and most efficient way possible. She uses products including the Benefit 24-HR Brow Setter Gel, the Benefit Ka-brow! Pomade and the got 2b Spiking Glue.
7. Apply Your Products Carefully
Ensure you always have a mirror when filling in your brows, and whatever method you choose, make sure to use a light hand and don’t go overboard with the product. Don’t press on the skin hard, either. It’s easier to put more product on than take product off, so apply it carefully so you don’t go overboard.
8. Don’t Overextend the Tail of Your Brows
If you overextend the tail of your brows, it can create a droopy effect, drawing your face down. Your brows naturally stop at a place that lifts your face up, so you’ll want to maintain that angle. To measure where the tail of your brow needs to end, place a brow pencil diagonally at your nostril and line it up with the side of your eye. Your eyebrow should end where the pencil hits your brow bone.
9. Buff Out Harsh Lines
If you don’t properly diffuse your brow products into your brows, it will make it more obvious that your brows are drawn on. Create the shape of your brows with tiny, hair-like strokes, whether you’re using a pencil, brow powder or brow gel, then use a spoolie to buff out any harsh lines with gentle back and forth motions.
If you have sparse eyebrows, don’t fret! Try out these products, tips and tutorials to fill in your brows and get the full, gorgeous look you love.
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you enjoy these tips on how to fill in sparse eyebrows? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more makeup tips? Make sure to follow our Beauty Board on Pinterest!