Building a capsule wardrobe is one of the most fun and money savvy things you can do. It ensures you always have something to wear and that you don’t get bored of your closet. Having a capsule wardrobe de-stresses the whole getting dressed thing we do every morning, and also saves a ton of money. Creating a capsule wardrobe isn’t as hard as it may seem! Check out our 5 best tips for how to build a capsule wardrobe for beginners!
What is a Capsule Wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe is a mini wardrobe made up of good quality, versatile pieces that you can wear over and over again. It’s made up of items that you already own and love to wear, and new seasonal items you can add into the rotation. It’s essentially a collection of items that don’t go out of style, such as trousers, skirts, and blazers, that can be mixed in with seasonal pieces.
How to Build a Capsule Wardrobe: 5 Tips for Beginners
1. Create a Specific Wardrobe Structure
Let’s start with the fun part! Create a structure for your capsule wardrobe so you know exactly what you’re looking for in your closet and what you’ll need to invest in. Also make sure to make it specific, citing the colours and styles of pieces you want in your collection. A sample wardrobe structure could look something like this:
Wide-leg trousers: 2 (black and forest green)
Coats: 1 (camel)
Pencil skirts: 2 (black and grey)
Dresses: 4 (formal, work, casual, travel)
Cardigans: 3 (beige, navy blue and black)
Classic button up shirt: 2 (chambray and white)
Blazers: 2 (black and white)
Ankle cut pants: 2 (black and navy)
Jeans: 3 (straight cut, boyfriend and skinny)
Tank tops: 3 (white, black and grey)
Loafers: 1 (brown with tassels)
Flats: 1 (black)
Heels: 2 (black high heel and bone-coloured block heel)
Sandals: 2 (brown wedge and black flat)
Trainers: 1 (black)
Sweaters: 5 (oversized, lightweight, turtle neck, crew neck, v-neck)
2. Declutter and Sort Your Closet
Now it’s time to do what you’ve probably been avoiding for quite some time: Emptying out and decluttering your closet! The easiest way to do this is take everything out and lay it on your bed. Sort it into three piles: Keep, maybe, and get rid of.
RELATED: A Simple System for Discovering Your
Personal Style and Building Your Dream Wardrobe
If you haven’t worn something in the past six months to a year, it’s likely time to donate it. If you’ve had an item in your closet for years and it’s on its last string, say goodbye! For anything you’re on the fence about, place it into a box and store it in the garage or another storage space. If you don’t have the urge to wear it at the end of the season, it moves to the “get rid of” pile.
3. Create a Shopping List
Once you know which capsule pieces you already have in your closet, you can create a shopping list for the other pieces you need. Remember, creating a capsule wardrobe will help save you money in the long run. Invest in good quality pieces that will last and work for you season after season.
4. Basics are Key
Basics are the foundation of a capsule wardrobe. They’re the neutral, versatile pieces that pair well with anything from other essentials to your statement pieces. Basics are pieces you can easily dress up with accessories, that can take you seamlessly from day to night!
5. Let Your Style Shine Through
Everyone’s capsule wardrobe is going to look different. Sure, the structure will be similar, but do you know how many black skirts are out there? Tons! Do you love to layer your outfits? Or are you more about simplicity? Your capsule wardrobe should fit your individual style as well as your lifestyle. Don’t try to mimic anyone else, and let your style shine through!
10 Capsule Wardrobe Essentials
Basic capsule wardrobe essentials are those pieces you can wear all year round and can take you from day to night. Here’s a list of 10 capsule wardrobe essentials.
1. The Short Sleeve Tee: Wear it tucked in with jeans for a casual look or with a skirt and blazer to the office.
2. The Button Up Shirt: Wear it with trousers for a more professional look, or pair it with jeans for brunch with the girls!
3. The Denim: Jeans and a jean jacket are musts for your capsule wardrobe! Invest in good quality denim that helps you rock your best features!
4. The Trousers: A key piece of a professional wardrobe, whether you wear them to the office or corporate events.
5. The Skirt: Need to dress up an outfit? Black skirt to the rescue! Choose one that works for your body type and your lifestyle!
6. The Sweater: Light weight sweaters do double duty, helping you stay warm on breezy summer nights and perfect for layering under coats in the winter!
7. The Black Dress: Everyone needs a black dress in their closet! Be it for a wedding or work function, a black dress will be a go-to in your wardrobe!
8. The Blazer: A blazer can pull together just about any outfit! If you feel like your getup is a little lacklustre, throw on a blazer to elevate your look.
9. The Loafers: Wear them casual or dressy, loafers are a versatile piece that can be worn with an array of styles.
10. The Heels: Need to dress up for work, or want to elevate a jeans and blouse outfit to go out for drinks? Heels to the rescue!
The Ultimate Capsule Wardrobe Checklist
1. Denim Shorts
2. Denim Jacket
3. Lightweight trousers
4. Ankle jeans/pants
5. Midi skirt
8. Lightweight sweater
10. One piece swimsuit
4. Wool trousers
5. Faux leather leggings
7. Heeled booties
8. Winter boots
1. Formal trousers
3. Button-up shirts
6. Loafers/formal shoes
7. Silk tank tops for layering
For Nights Out
1. Little black dress
2. Straight leg jeans
4. Silk tank top
Building a capsule wardrobe is so much fun, and can save you so much money and time! Create a capsule wardrobe structure and get to work building your dream capsule closet!
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved this post on how to build a capsule wardrobe, please share it on Pinterest.
And if you want more style advice, make sure to follow our Fashion Board on Pinterest!