Homemade granola bars are amazing for so many reasons. They’re a healthy option you can enjoy for breakfast or a midday snack, and they’re incredibly easy to make! They only require a few ingredients, and allow you to get creative with your flavours! They’re the perfect grab-and-go snack for busy days, and whether you like them chewy or crunchy, we’ve got 42 delicious granola bar recipes you can make easily at home!
How to Make Homemade Granola Bars
While each granola bar recipe calls for different ingredients, there are some handy tips you should know when making homemade granola bars. Here are 6 of our best tips below!
1. Toast Your Oats
Unless you’re making no-bake homemade granola bars, toasting your oats first is always a good idea. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and while it’s warming up, coat a 15x10x1-inch pan with cooking spray. Place the oats (and almonds if you’re using them) on the pan and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until toasted. Stir the mixture every once in a while to ensure it’s toasted evenly.
2. Press the Mixture Into the Pan
If you want granola bars rather than granola, it’s important to press the granola mixture into the pan. The harder and longer you press, the more the mixture will stay together, otherwise it will be easier for the mixture to fall apart. You don’t have to go crazy, but pressing the mixture for up to one minute is a good amount of time!
3. Honey and Brown Sugar Work Like Glue
If you’re having trouble getting your granola bars to stick together, brown sugar and honey will help. Chocolate chips can also help, and while some of the chocolate may melt, the melted chocolate acts as extra glue holding the bars together. You can always add extra chocolate chips to the top of the granola bars at the end- they won’t melt!
4. Use Little Tricks
This step has everything to do with preference. Do you prefer your homemade granola bars soft and chewy? Add flaxseed meal into the bars. On the flip side, if you like them crunchy, bake them again for 5 to 10 minutes after cutting them. The great thing about homemade granola bars is that you can make them however you like them best!
5. Get Creative with Mix-ins
Personalization is everything when it comes to homemade granola bars. You can mix and match almost any ingredient from chocolate chips to coconut, raisins, chopped nuts, and other dried fruits and seeds. Think of the flavours you’d love to taste in your granola bars and get creative!
6. Let Them Cool Off
It may be tempting to bite into your granola bars right away, but they need to cool off completely before cutting them into bars. Once they’re done baking, leave them at room temperature, or put them in the fridge. It may take a couple of hours, so be prepared to wait a while as they cool off.
7 Nut Free Homemade Granola Bars
1. Healthy Nut-Free Granola Bars | Everyday Easy Eats
2. Nut-Free Crispy Chewy Honey Granola Bars | CBC
3. Nut-Free Chocolate Chip Granola Bars | The Wellth
4. Superfood Nut Free Granola Bars | Ambitious Kitchen
5. Nut-Free Maple Granola Bars | Dada Eats
6. Nut-Free School-Safe Homemade Granola Bars | Yummy Mummy Club
7. Vegan and Nut-Free Granola Bar | From My Bowl
7 Homemade Granola Bars for Kids
1. Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars | Once Upon a Chef
2. Honey Sweetened Almond Chocolate Chip Granola Bars | Cookie + Kate
3. Chewy Peanut Butter Granola Bars | Gimme Some Oven
4. Rainbow Chip Granola Bars | Peas and Crayons
5. Mango Coconut Granola Bars | Spoonful of Flavour
6. Cranberry Chocolate Chip Homemade Granola Bars | Baked by Rachel
7. Banana Nut Bread Granola Bars | Cupcakes and Kale Chips
7 Chewy Homemade Granola Bars
1. Gluten Free Chewy Granola Bars | Iowa Girl Eats
2. Healthy Chewy Granola Bars | Chocolate Covered Katie
3. Peanut Butter Honey Soft Granola Bars | Pinch of Yum
4. Thick, Chewy Granola Bars | Smitten Kitchen
5. Copycat Quaker Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars | Lovely Little Kitchen
6. Soft and Chewy Protein Granola Bars | Running with Spoons
7. Pumpkin Maple Nut Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars | Cupcakes and Kale Chips
7 Peanut Butter Homemade Granola Bars
1. 5-Ingredient Peanut Butter Granola Bars | The Real Food RDs
2. No Bake Chewy Peanut Butter Granola Bars | Ambitious Kitchen
3. Trail Mix Peanut Butter Granola Bars | Well Plated
4. Peanut Butter Honey Granola Bars | Julie’s Eats and Treats
5. 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Granola Bars | Beaming Baker
6. 5- Ingredient Granola Bar | Minimalist Baker
7. Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Granola Bars | Sweet Phi
7 No Bake Homemade Granola Bars
1. No-Bake Chocolate Chip Granola Bars | Lauren’s Latest
2. 10 Minute No Bake Granola Bars | Spend With Pennies
3. DIY No Bake Chewy Granola Bars | Bowl of Delicious
4. No Bake Rice Krispies Granola Bars | 365 days of Baking and More
5. No Bake Peanut Butter Pretzel Granola Bars | Athletic Avocado
6. No Bake Sweet and Salty Homemade Granola Bars | Running with Spoons
7. No Bake Chewy Granola Bars with Almond, Flax and Chia Seeds | Eat Well 101
7 No Sugar Homemade Granola Bars
1. Sugar Free Keto Granola Bars | Food Faith Fitness
2. Sugar Free Trail Mix Granola Bars | Bigger Bolder Baking
3. Sugar and Grain Free Granola Bars | Ditch the Carbs
4. Low Carb Granola Bars | Sweet as Honey
5. Apple Cinnamon Granola Bars | Sugar Free Londoner
6. Sugar-Free Low Carb Grain-Free Granola Bars | Sugar-Free Mom
7. Sugar-Free Low Carb Granola Bars with Chocolate Chips | Low Carb Maven
Homemade granola bars are one of the best snacks you can whip up in your kitchen! Try our tips and recipes for delicious bars that everyone will enjoy.
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you love our post on homemade granola bars? We’d love if you shared it on Pinterest!
And if you want more healthy snack ideas, make sure to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!