Non-dairy milks are having a moment in the beverage and culinary world, and cashew milk is no exception. Created simply by combining cashews and water, cashew milk is rich, creamy, and nutritious. It’s a great alternative for anyone who’s vegan or intolerant to dairy, or those who want to cut down on their dairy milk intake. Although cashew milk is delicious enough to drink on its own or add to your coffee, there are also loads of cashew milk recipes that are definitely worth your attention. Curious to see how to use cashew milk in your favourite recipes? Read on!
What is Cashew Milk?
Cashew milk is a non-dairy milk, meaning it contains no lactose. It’s made from filtered water and cashews and is a great alternative for anyone who’s lactose intolerant. It’s also a great option for vegans who don’t want to give up creamy recipes! Cashew milk doesn’t have any naturally occurring sugars like cow’s milk does, and it has a rich, creamy nuttiness that’s a bit more subtle than almond milk. It’s simple to make at home and comes with a plethora of health benefits since it’s loaded with vitamins, minerals and healthy fats.
What Are the Benefits of Cashew Milk?
1. High in Nutrients
Cashew milk contains vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and protein. Most of the fat in cashew milk is very nutritious since it comes from unsaturated fatty acids that promote heart health and have other healthy benefits.
Cashew milks bought in store are typically fortified with vitamins and minerals and have a higher nutrient content compared to homemade versions. However, store-bought cashew milk can also contain added oils, sugars and preservatives so make sure to do your research before you buy!
Since homemade cashew milk doesn’t need to be strained like other homemade milks such as almond milk, it has a high fibre content and is also chock full of magnesium. Magnesium is important for nerve function, heart health and blood pressure regulation.
2. Eye Health
Cashews are high in the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, which may prevent cellular damage to your eyes caused by free radicals. Eating foods rich in these antioxidants can reduce your risk of retinal damage, age-related vision loss and age-related cataracts.
3. Improves Blood Sugar
Drinking cashew milk can help with blood sugar control, since cashews contain certain compounds that promote proper blood sugar control in your body. This is especially important for anyone suffering from diabetes. The fact that cashew milk is also lactose-free means that it has fewer carbs than dairy milk. For anyone with diabetes, it’s ideal to replace cashew milk with cow’s milk to help control your blood sugar levels.
4. Good For Your Complexion
That’s right – cashew milk is good for your skin! Cashews are rich in copper, and homemade cashew milk specifically is rich in copper as well. Copper assists in the creation of skin proteins and is crucial for optimal skin health. Copper regulates the production of collagen and elastin – proteins that contribute to skin elasticity and strength. It’s important to have optimal levels of collagen in your body, as inadequate collagen can lead to skin ageing.
5. Boosts Your Immune System
With plenty of antioxidants and a high zinc content, cashew milk can help boost your immune system. Cashews can decrease inflammation and disease in your body due to their antioxidants. On top of that, your body uses zinc to create immune cells that fight against disease and infection. Adding cashew milk to your daily routine can make you healthier all around!
How to Make Your Own Cashew Milk
1. Soak 1 cup of raw cashews in water for at least 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. Drain the cashews and rinse them until the water runs clear.
2. Add the cashews and 2 cups of water to your blender. Begin on a low setting and increase the speed until the cashews are completely ground. In a high powered blender this will take about 2 minutes, so a low powered blender will take a little longer.
3. Blend in 2 more cups of water and any sweeteners you may want such as vanilla, sea salt or cinnamon. Don’t worry if your blender can’t totally break down the cashews. Simply drain the milk through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
4. You can keep the cashew milk in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
30 Cashew Milk Recipes You’ll Love
1. Creamy Garlic Roasted Red Pepper Pasta | Pinch of Yum
2. Dairy-Free Hot Cocoa | Oh She Glows
3. Cashew Milk Chia Pudding | Alexandra’s Kitchen
4. Creamy Cashew Chicken Curry | Dishes & Dust Bunnies
5. Double Chocolate Cashew Ice Cream | It Bakes Me Happy
6. Cashew, Cardamom and Date Smoothie | Dishing Up the Dirt
7. Mushrooms on Sourdough Toast | Holy Cow Vegan
8. Creamy Vegan Saag Paneer | Serious Eats
9. Vegan Broccoli Cheese Muffins | Spabettie
10. 4-Ingredient Protein Buckeyes | Amy’s Healthy Baking
11. Vegan Vanilla Iced Coffee | Sunkissed Kitchen
12. Pistachio Chocolate Chip Ice Cream | Cook Eat Paleo
13. Banana Cashew Smoothie | Buns In My Oven
14. Overnight Oatmeal with Cashew Milk | Whipper Berry
15. Vegan Wild Mushroom Lasagna | Holy Cow Vegan
16. Vegan Cauliflower-Creamed Spinach | Serious Eats
17. Spicy Rainbow Chopped Salad | 101 Cookbooks
18. Sun-dried Tomato Mushroom Pasta | The Garden Grazer
19. Cashew Butter Pancakes | Table for Two
20. Vegan One Pot Creamy Mushroom Pasta | Delicious Everyday
21. Ginger Vanilla Protein Crunch Bars | Spabetti
22. Butternut Squash Soup | Miss in the Kitchen
23. Oatmeal Banana Muffins | In Jennie’s Kitchen
24. Pumpkin Scones with Chocolate Chips | Jessica Gavin
25. Vegan Mushroom Wellington | Delicious Everyday
26. Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Candied Cashews | The Cookie Rookie
27. Pumpkin Spice Latte Chia Pudding | Spabettie
28. Apple Fritter Cake | Shockingly Healthy
29. Thai Cashew Chicken and Mango Salad | Taste Love and Nourish
30. Strawberry Cashew Smoothie | How Sweet Eats
Cashew milk has so many healthy benefits and can be used in plenty of delicious recipes. It’s ideal if you’re vegan, lactose intolerant or simply want to reduce your dairy intake. Try these recipes and see how fast you become a cashew milk aficionado!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you love our post on delicious cashew milk recipes? We’d love if you shared it on Pinterest!
If you’re looking for more recipes using milk alternatives, make sure to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!