There’s no shame in satisfying your sweet tooth, but indulge too much and the guilt will start to set in. Extra calories and carbs are packed into tasty treats, but with an air fryer you can actually make healthy treats you can enjoy guilt free! There are a number of ways to make your desserts more nutritious, from substituting ingredients to adding healthy elements, and of course, using an air fryer. You can use an air fryer for pretty much any dessert, from doughnuts to fritters to pies. Ready to dig in? Check out our favourite air fryer dessert recipes you can enjoy without guilt!
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is essentially a mini convection oven. It cooks by circulating hot air inside the fryer at a high speed through the use of convection fans. This cooks food quickly and creates a crispy, fried yet airy layer for your favourite foods. The air fryer aims to match the taste and texture of deep fried foods in a healthier way. You can pretty much make anything in an air fryer that you’d make in an oven or deep fryer, and that includes desserts!
How to Make Desserts Healthier in an Air Fryer
1. Pack in the Fruits
A simple way to make any dessert healthier is to add some fruit! Making chocolate chip muffins or banana bread? Add in some berries for a sweet, healthy twist. It will taste great and you’ll feel good knowing you’re getting more nutrients in!
2. Use Dark Chocolate Instead of Milk Chocolate
When using chocolate chips in your recipes, look for ones with at least 70% cocoa. Dark chocolate offers maximum health benefits, increasing antioxidants, fibre, iron, zinc and other nutrients. Milk chocolate, on the other hand, has a very high fat and sugar content (that’s why it tastes so good!).
3. Use Whole Wheat Flour
For any dessert recipe that requires flour, use whole wheat instead of white flour. Whole wheat flour is higher in fibre, while most of the fibre is removed in white flour during processing. White flour is refined, so you’ll be getting an overall healthier dessert if you use whole wheat flour! The texture may be slightly different, but the taste will stay the same!
4. Use Coconut Oil Instead of Butter
Opt for coconut oil instead of butter for your dessert recipes. Coconut oil is lower in sodium and also contains lauric acid, a healthy saturated fat that has been found to help lower cholesterol and keep extra calories off!
5. Replace White Sugar
White refined sugar comes with health hazards such as obesity, type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Instead, substitute white sugar with maple syrup or other natural sugars like honey or coconut sugar, which contain healthy vitamins and minerals. They’re also easy to digest, keeping your blood levels stable, and preventing you from getting a sugar crash.
6. Add Nutrients with Nuts
Even if your dessert doesn’t call for any nuts, they’re a great addition to many recipes, plus they’re full of nutrients. Walnuts, pecans and almonds will give your dessert a delicious, nutty flavour, plus they’re rich in protein, fibre and healthy fats.
50 Air Fryer Dessert Recipes Worth Trying
1. Air Fryer Churros | Plated Cravings
2. Easy Air Fryer Brownies | My Forking Life
3. Air-Fryer Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies | Taste of Home
4. Midnight Banana Nutella Sandwich | Blue Jean Chef
5. Air Baked Molten Lava Cake | Momma Told Me Blog
6. Strawberry Lemonade Vegan Pop Tarts | Abbey’s Kitchen
7. Air-Fryer Shortbread Cookies | Recipe This
8. Air Fried Vegan Beignets | Healthy Slow Cooking
9. Air Fryer Apple Pie | What’s Mary Doing
10. Quick Glazed and Cinnamon Sugar Air Fryer Doughnuts | This Old Gal
11. Easy Churro-Style Air Fryer Donut Holes | Glue and Glitter
12. Easy Chocolate Soufflé for Two | Wine Lady Cooks
13. Thai Style Fried Bananas | Archana’s Kitchen
14. Air Fried Apple Fritters with Salted Caramel Sauce | Better Homes & Gardens
15. Air Fryer Apple Crisp | Recipe Diaries
16. Air Fryer Hand Pies | Pampered Chef
17. Air Fryer Cinnamon Sugar Dessert Fries | Everyday Family Cooking
18. Air Fryer Cheesecake Chimichangas | Simply Scratch
19. Air Fryer Lemon Slice Sugar Cookies | Taste of Home
20. Air Fried Double Cherry Mini Egg Rolls | Better Homes & Gardens
21. Air Fryer Oreos | Courtney’s Sweets
22. Air Fryer Apple Fritters | Pillsbury
23. Healthy Air Fryer Funnel Cakes | Air-Fried.com
24. Air Fryer Banana Bread | Cooking Light
25. Keto Air Fryer Chocolate Cake | For Frying Out Loud
26. Chocolate Banana Air Fryer Empanadas with Cinnamon Whipped Cream | Better Homes & Gardens
27. Low Carb Air Fryer Strawberry Short Cake | Recipes That Crock
28. Air Fryer Blueberry Pie Egg Rolls | Awe Filled Homemaker
29. Air Fryer Nutella S’mores | Recipes From a Pantry
30. Double-Glazed Air Fried Cinnamon Biscuit Bites | Cooking Light
31. Air Fryer Key Lime Cheesecake | Recipe This
32. Air Fryer Berry Hand Pies | Inspired by Charm
33. Easy Air Fryer Deep Fried Snickers | Food is a Four Letter Word
34. Chocolate Hazelnut Air Fryer Turnovers | Better Homes & Gardens
35. Air Fryer Red Velvet Cupcakes | Recipe This
36. Air Fryer S’mores Hand Pies | Wine Lady Cooks
37. Air Fryer Funnel Cake | Midlife Healthy Living
38. Air Fryer Monkey Bread | FoodnService
39. Air Fryer Cinnamon Rolls | Whimsical September
40. Air Fryer Sugar Donuts | Thrifty Nifty Mommy
41. Air Fryer Raspberry Muffins | Recipes from a Pantry
42. Air Fryer Very Berry Bread Pudding | Piping Pot Curry
43. Sir Fryer Strawberry Scones | Recipe This
44. Air Fryer Peanut Butter Banana Dessert Bites | This Old Gal
45. Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars | Berry & Maple
46. Rainbow Air Fryer Donuts | Kids in the Kitchen
47. One Bowl Gluten Free Chocolate Cake | Recipes from a Pantry
48. Air Fryer Caramel Cheesecake | Recipe This
49. Air Fryer Peanut Butter Cookies | The Leaf
50. Air Fried Oreos with Crescent Rolls | Everyday Family Cooking
There you have it – delicious and healthy dessert recipes you can make in the air fryer! Give them a try for healthier desserts you’ll love!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you love our round up of air fryer dessert recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
If you’re looking for more healthy recipes, make sure to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!