If you’re a casserole lover (like me!), but are growing tired of making the same dishes over and over again, I highly recommend you give this golden harvest chicken casserole recipe a try.
I don’t know if it’s the shrimp, cayenne pepper, white wine, or a combination of all 3, but it is really delicious and has become one of our favorite family dinner recipes during the winter season. I make it at least once a month, and my husband ALWAYS asks for seconds.
This recipe makes enough for 8 people (unless you’re glutinous like we are, in which case it serves 6), so it’s perfect for big families or pot luck dinners, and I especially love that it gives me enough leftovers for lunch AND dinner the following day.
- 6 lbs chicken, cut into pieces
- ½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 small green pepper, cut in strips
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (19 oz.) tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 oz. (225 grams) frozen, uncooked, peeled and deveined shrimp (optional)
- Parsley for garnish
- Combine ½ cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a plastic bag
- Add chicken pieces to plastic bag and shake until each piece is coated
- Once all chicken is covered, set aside seasoned flour
- Add 1 cup vegetable oil to a large frying pan and brown flour-covered chicken and then place in 13 x 9 inch casserole dish
- Saute onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil until soft before adding celery, green pepper, and mushrooms. Saute until crisp-tender
- Combine 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon, and 2 tablespoons reserved seasoned flour, thyme, cayenne, and bay leaf. Add to sauteed vegetables and toss until coated
- Combined canned tomatoes, white wine, and tomato paste, and add to vegetables, heat to boiling, stirring occasionally, and pour over chicken in casserole dish
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes, covered
- Add shrimp, cover, and bake for another 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through
- Garnish with parsley and serve with rice
If you liked this recipe, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more recipes to add to your rotation, don’t forget to follow my Food board on Pinterest where I share all kinds of cooking inspiration!