For many people, choco tacos are a childhood novelty. Reminiscent of summer days and ice cream trucks, choco tacos are the perfect sunny day treat. They were invented by Alan Drazen in 1983 and quickly gained popularity because they’re so darn tasty. While choco tacos can be hard to track down nowadays, you can easily make them yourself at home. Check out our tips for making the perfect choco tacos as well as 40 must-try choco taco recipes we love!
What are ‘Choco Tacos’?
Choco Tacos are dessert tacos created from a waffle cone that’s folded to resemble a hard taco shell and filled with vanilla ice cream, fudge, peanuts and a milk chocolate coating. This is the original choco taco from the 80s, but of course you can put your own twist on it, using any fillings and toppings you like! You can make them vegan, gluten-free or dairy-free and add anything from chopped nuts to fruits to sprinkles, candies, whipped cream and more.
5 Tips for Making the Perfect Choco Tacos
1. Work Quickly
Making the waffle tacos is easy, but you have to do it quickly. It’s key to fold them while they’re still hot, since they cool and harden within a minute. Drape them over any straight, narrow edge such as a baking dish to form the taco shape, or use a taco shell mold. Let it cool completely to harden.
2. Allow the Ice Cream to Soften A Bit
Rather than scooping hard ice cream from right out of the freezer, allow the ice cream to soften a bit before scooping it into your choco taco shells. This will make them easier to fill without breaking the shell, as well as easier to bite into! Just don’t let it get too soft that it starts to melt all over the place.
3. Use Your Freezer If Needed
If you find the ice cream is getting too soft in the bowl or in the taco, just pop it in the freezer. You don’t want the ice cream running down the side of the tacos. Make sure to put them in the freezer before the ice cream actually melts as refrozen melted ice cream is not the most appetizing.
4. Create a Crunchy Shell
In order to keep the shell as crunchy as possible for as long as possible, paint on a thin layer of chocolate inside the shell. This will keep the ice cream from making the shell too soft, preventing it from soaking into the shell. Be careful not to paint it on too thick or it will be difficult to bite.
5. Customize Your Choco Tacos
Get creative with your choco tacos! If you love strawberry ice cream, switch it in for the vanilla. Consider all types of nuts from pistachios to hazelnuts to cashews, and don’t be afraid to use different types of chocolate. Top your dessert tacos with berries, fruits or sprinkles and make them your own!
40 Choco Taco Recipes We Love
1. Homemade Choco Tacos | Sugar Hero
2. Mini Choco Tacos | Spoon Fork Bacon
3. Choco Taco-Inspired Ice Cream Sandwiches | Tasting Table
4. 4-Ingredient Nutella Choco Tacos | Shared Appetite
5. Copycat Choco Taco Recipe | Cincy Shopper
6. Neapolitan Choco Tacos | Mountain Mama Cooks
7. Strawberry Choco Tacos | Cravings of a Lunatic
8. Raw Vegan Choco Tacos | Raw on 10
9. Fudge-Swirl Vanilla Ice Cream Choco Tacos | My Name is Yeh
10. Brown Butter Crepe Ice Cream Choco Tacos | Half Baked Harvest
11. Candy Covered Choco Tacos | Love from the Oven
12. Double Dark Chocolate Choco Tacos | Flora and Vino
13. Homemade Dairy Free Choco Tacos | Nerdy Mama
14. Coconut Choco Tacos | Sodium Girl
15. Chocolate Avocado Mousse Filled Choco Tacos with Berries and Kiwi | Cake Crumbs
16. Ice Cream Cookie Choco Taco | The Vulgar Chef
17. Peanut Butter Choco Tacos | The Food in My Beard
18. Banana Split Choco Tacos | Taste Made
19. Gluten-Free Ice Cream Choco Tacos | Kitchen Cents
20. Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Tacos with Sprinkles | Your Home Based Mom
21. Fruit-Filled Choco Tacos | She Knows
22. Mucho Choco Tacos | Culinary
23. Chocolate Chip with Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Choco Tacos | Pint Sized Baker
24. Peanut Crusted Choco Tacos | Ashlee Marie
25. Vanilla Hazelnut Choco Tacos | La Receta De La Felicidad
26. Spicy Mexican Chocolate Choco Tacos | Pop Sugar
27. Confetti Choco Tacos | Sprinkles for Breakfast
28. Keto Choco Tacos | Mammoth Creameries
29. Dark Chocolate Choco Tacos with Sprinkles | Spoon University
30. Vanilla Peanut Choco Tacos | Laura in the Kitchen
31. Gluten-Free Choco Tacos with Chopped Nuts | This Mess is Ours
32. 5-Ingredient Choco Tacos (Vegan and Gluten-Free) | One Green Planet
33. Tres Leches Coconut and Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream Tacos | Half Baked Harvest
34. Pancake Choco Tacos | Sweet Potato Chronicles
35. Vegan Choco Tacos with Nuts and Cacao Nibs | Morsels and Moonshine
36. Ice Cream Choco Tacos with Cinnamon Sugar Wonton Shells | Alaska From Scratch
37. Chocolate Fruit and Cream Breakfast Tacos | Gluten Free Love Story
38. Cinnamon Pebbles Choco Tacos | Post Consumer Brands
39. Strawberry Ice Cream Choco Tacos | Cal Giant
40. Peanut Butter Ice Cream Choco Tacos with Chocolate Chips and Chopped Peanuts | Probably This
Choco tacos are a must-try dessert as we head into the warmer weather. Make your choco tacos your own with your favourite flavours and toppings or try out the recipes above!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you love this round up of choco taco recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more delicious recipes? Make sure to follow our Food and Recipes Board on Pinterest!