A healthy, filling breakfast is the best way to kickstart your morning. Yogurt bowls are nutritious, tasty and satisfying, and although they’re nothing new, there are simple ways to upgrade yogurt bowls to make them interesting. They’re quick and easy to prepare, even on a busy morning, and you can also pack up the ingredients separately to take them on the go. Interested in our favourite yogurt bowls? Check them out below!
6 Tips for Making Delicious Yogurt Bowls
1. Best Containers to Use
There are a few containers you can use for your yogurt bowl recipes. The first is, of course, a bowl. Use any bowl in your cupboard to compile your delicious breakfast. You can also use mason jars, which are particularly useful if you’re going to make make-ahead yogurt bowls to store in the fridge.
2. Foods to Use
There are plenty of delicious and nutritious foods you can use to top your yogurt bowl. One of the most popular is fresh fruit. From berries to pineapple to peaches and bananas, fresh fruit ensures you’re getting your nutrients in the morning. Nuts such as almonds, walnuts and pecans are great sources of fat, protein, and fibre, and seeds like chia seeds and pumpkin seeds add an incredibly nutritious crunch. Granola is one of the most popular toppings to add, and you can also swirl in buckwheat honey, date syrup or nut butter for balanced flavour. Consider a savoury yogurt bowl with cinnamon roasted veggies!
3. Foods to Avoid
While many foods work really well with yogurt, there are some that you should avoid as they add a ton of calories to your otherwise healthy yogurt bowl. Puffed rice cereal adds a nice crunch, but it also adds empty calories. It doesn’t have any nutrients, so it’s pretty much a waste of carbs. Dried fruit also adds tons of calories and sugar, so stick to fresh fruit when making your yogurt bowls.
Whole flaxseeds are another food to be wary of. While they’re loaded with protein and fibre, your body can’t digest the whole seeds, so it doesn’t absorb any of the goodness. Stick to ground flaxseeds instead. Sweetened coconut flakes are also a topping to skip. While coconut on its own is great for you, shredded or flaked coconut is often loaded with sugar as well as preservatives.
4. How Long Will They Last?
Yogurt bowls keep for several days in the refrigerator (around 3 days), so you can make them ahead of time to eat throughout the week. Yogurt and granola combined together and refrigerated results in a dreamy texture. The granola becomes nice and chewy and the fruit becomes sweet and saucy.
5. How to Store Them
If you’re going to make yogurt bowls ahead of time, it’s best to store them in a mason jar to keep fresh in the fridge. Mason jars are durable, plastic-free and the tight sealing lids ensure that there aren’t any spills. You can also top your yogurt bowls with fresh fruit and nuts once they come out of the fridge!
6. Play Around with Toppings
One of the best things about yogurt bowls is that they’re totally customizable. If you’d prefer to follow a recipe, there are a bunch below, but you can also get creative with your yogurt bowl toppings. Play around with different toppings to figure out what and how much your body needs to feel good. Think about adding protein, healthy fats and fibre to help you feel full for longer.
12 Low Calorie Yogurt Bowls
1. Tropical Green Smoothie Bowl | Spoonful of Flavor
2. Cinnamon Apple Yogurt Bowl | SkinnyTaste
3. Lemon Berry Yogurt Breakfast Bowls | Budget Bytes
4. Chia Yogurt Power Bowl | Fit Foodie Finds
5. Honey Vanilla Yogurt Bowl | Chelsea’s Messy Apron
6. Rainbow Yogurt Bowl | EatingWell
7. Blueberry Coconut Yogurt Bowl | Slender Kitchen
8. Coconut Almond Yogurt Power Bowl | My Montana Kitchen
9. Easy Yogurt Bowl | Nourish Nutrition Blog
10. Banana Yogurt Breakfast Bowls | Super Healthy Kids
11. Savoury Yogurt Bowls with Cinnamon Roasted Veggies | Flora & Vino
12. Acai Yogurt Oatmeal Bowl | Foodaciously
12 Low Carb Yogurt Bowls
1. Keto Green Smoothie Bowl with Spinach | Wholesome Yum
2. Keto Yogurt Granola Parfait Bowl | Peace, Love and Low Carb
3. Low Carb Chia Berry Yogurt Parfaits | Keto Diet App
4. Keto Yogurt Breakfast Bowls | Easy Keto Living
5. Almond Butter Yogurt Bowls | Keto 22
6. Keto Yogurt with Nuts and Berries | Keto Mamas
7. Coconut Yogurt and Keto Granola Bowl | Julie’s Lifestyle
8. Gourmet Yogurt Bowl | Midkid Mama
9. Keto Friendly Low Carb Breakfast Yogurt Parfait | Health Starts in the Kitchen
10. Keto Coconut Berry Yogurt Bowl | The Girlfriend Doctor
11. Keto Yogurt Breakfast Bowl | Yoga Sakti
12. Low Carb Chocolate Maple Yogurt Bowls | A Full Living
12 Greek Yogurt Bowls
1. Greek Yogurt Breakfast Bowls 5 Ways | Platings and Pairings
2. Superfood Breakfast Yogurt Bowl | Shared Appetite
3. Healthy Greek Yogurt Bowls | The Foodie Physician
4. High Protein Greek Yogurt Bowls | I Heart Vegetables
5. Apple, Maple, Cinnamon Breakfast Bowls | Fit Foodie Finds
6. Pear and Honey Yogurt Bowl | Happy Foods Tube
7. 4 Greek Yogurt Bowls | Garnish and Glaze
8. Peach and Greek Yogurt Breakfast Bowls | The Honest Project
9. Greek Yogurt Breakfast Bowls with Toppings | Modern Honey
10. Peanut Butter Banana Greek Yogurt Bowl | The Lemon Bowl
11. Greek Yogurt Bowl with Blueberries and Peaches | Eating Bird Food
12. Matcha Yogurt Breakfast Bowl | Taste Made
12 Granola Yogurt Bowls
1. Fruit Granola Yogurt Breakfast Bowl | The Kitchen Girl
2. Blueberry Granola Yogurt Bowl | Real and Vibrant
3. Mango, Apple and Fig Granola Bowl | Health Nut Nutrition
4. Loaded Yogurt Granola Bowl | Healthy Gluten-Free Family
5. Yogurt Bowl with Granola and Raspberry Sauce | Free Your Fork
6. Strawberry Yogurt Bowl with Coconut Granola | Delish Knowledge
7. Berry Granola Greek Yogurt Bowl | Valya’s Taste of Home
8. Apple Pie Granola Yogurt Bowls | Inspiralized
9. Vegan Yogurt and Granola Bowls | Plant Based Jane
10. Roasted Strawberry Yogurt Bowls with Chocolate-Coconut Granola | Fork Knife Swoon
11. Blueberry Granola Yogurt Bowls | Peas and Crayons
12. Savoury Yogurt Bowl with Crispy Quinoa Granola | Scaling Back
Yogurt bowls are one of the best ways to start your morning! Try these recipes for a filling, nutritious breakfast that will keep you satisfied!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you enjoy this round up of delicious yogurt bowls? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Want more healthy recipes? Make sure to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!