If you haven’t heard yet, celery juice is the new food trend taking over the Internet, and of course, the Internet’s little sister, Instagram. Celery juice has gained popularity due to its ability to solve things like digestive issues and bad skin. Plus, it’s the new go-to weight loss juice. It may not be the tastiest veggie out there, but the benefits of drinking celery juice make it totally worth it! If you’re just getting into this new trend, our post on celery juice for beginners is the perfect place to start!
Is Celery Juice Good for You?
Yes, celery juice is good for you, so it’s a safe trend to try. It contains vitamins including vitamin K, C and potassium, plus a good dose of fibre and antioxidants. All in all, it offers a low calorie snack that has additional health benefits. It’s also great for people who don’t want to drink plain water on its own all day. Since we’re supposed to drink 8 glasses of water per day, it can be nice to have some additional flavour from the celery!
6 Health Benefits of Celery Juice
1. It’s Packed with Nutrients
Many people overlook celery, but it actually has many nutrients and vitamins that are great for the human body. It’s packed with vitamins like vitamin K, A and C, as well as fibre and magnesium, folate and potassium. It also contains two very potent antioxidant compounds called luteolin and apigenin, which have been found to have anti-carcinogenic effects.
2. It Helps with Digestion
Along with all the vitamins and nutrients celery juice provides, it’s also great for your digestive system! It stimulates stomach acid, which protects your stomach lining, helping your body get rid of waste and bloat. It eases uncomfortable symptoms like heartburn, indigestion and bloating, making your gut healthier and happier.
3. It Clears Your Skin
Celery juice is amazing for your complexion. Containing vitamins A, K and C, it helps with issues ranging from eczema to acne to rosacea. Since it’s high in antioxidants, these also help the skin, making your complexion more clear and glowing, reducing the appearance of wrinkles, age spots and blemishes.
4. It Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties
Another awesome benefit of celery juice is anti-inflammation for people who experience issues such as arthritis, gout, headaches and upset stomachs. Celery contains a high content of luteolin, an antioxidant with high anti-inflammatory properties, which soothes your body’s tissues and muscles, helping ease discomfort.
5. It Boosts Endurance
Eating celery pre-workout has been shown to boost endurance, as well as enhance strength training performance. It contains flavonoids that increase blood flow, protecting the body from any inflammation caused by exercise, and providing you with a pick-me-up before you start your workout.
6. It Helps You Sleep
Celery is also rich in magnesium, a mineral that is known to aid with sleep. Not only does it help soothe the body, it also helps lower your blood pressure and heart rate. If you have trouble sleeping, a glass of celery juice can help you ease into a natural sleep and have you feeling refreshed in the morning!
3 Side Effects of Drinking Celery Juice
Many people are actually allergic to celery. It can cause allergic reactions in people who are allergic to not only celery, but other plants and spices including wild carrot, birch, fennel, coriander, parsley, plantain and dandelion.
2. Increased Sun Sensitivity
Celery can also increase your sensitivity to the sun. This side effect doesn’t occur in everyone – it’s more likely to occur in people with fair skin.
3. Kidney Problems
If you have kidney problems already, it’s probably best not to drink celery juice in large amounts. It can cause inflammation in that area, putting additional pressure and strain on your kidneys. It can be dangerous if you have a pre-existing kidney issue, so talk to your doctor before giving this trend a try.
How to Make Celery Juice in a Juicer
There’s not much difference between making celery juice in a juicer or a blender, so use whichever one you prefer!
If you want to make celery juice in a juicer, run one or two bunches of celery stalks through the juicer. A two pack of celery hearts makes about 16 ounces – perfect for your morning juice!
How to Make Celery Juice in a Blender
If you would prefer to make celery juice in a blender, blend one to two bunches of celery until the consistency is the same as a smoothie. You can add a little bit of water if you need to, but you don’t want to dilute it. If you use a high-speed blender like a Vitamix, you can definitely blend it without the added water! Pour the blended celery into a nut milk bag and strain out the pulp. Tada – you have your celery juice!
25 Celery Juice Recipes to Try
1. Green Apple Ginger Celery Juice | Lunch Box Bunch
2. Apple Celery and Cucumber Smoothie | Love My Salad
3. Spinach, Cucumber and Celery Juice | The Healthy Family and Home
4. Carrot, Apple, Celery Ginger Juice | Healthy Kitchen 101
5. Cucumber Celery Weight Loss Juice | The Whoot
6. Celery, Cucumber and Pineapple Smoothie | Real Simple
7. Red Berry Celery Smoothie | Wishful Chef
8. Blueberry Celery Smoothie | Best Health Mag
9. Pear Smoothie with Celery | NY Times Cooking
10. Kale, Spinach, Pear, Banana and Celery Green Smoothie | Eat Live Travel Write
11. Tomato Celery Green Smoothie | Yummly
12. Celery Apple Almond Green Smoothie | 80 Twenty Nutrition
13. Glowing Green Smoothie with Celery | Vitamix
14. Sweet and Light Green Smoothie with Banana, Spinach and Celery | Looking for Delights
15. Carrot, Celery, Orange and Ginger Smoothie | Raw Blend
16. Celery Smoothie | Ricardo
17. Celery Banana Smoothie | Peaceful Dumpling
18. Celery, Carrot and Turmeric Smoothie | The Joyful Table
19. Creamy Zucchini Celery Blueberry Smoothie | Minimalist Baker
20. Aloe Vera, Apple and Celery Smoothie | Braun Household
21. Spinach, Zucchini and Celery Smoothie | Fine Dining Lovers
22. Celery Kale Banana Orange Smoothie | Choose Smoothies
23. Celery Pineapple Smoothie | Kitchen Frau
24. Strawberry & Celery Smoothie Juice | Cook It Fit
25. Apple, Kiwi, Pear, Celery Smoothie | Fat Secret Canada
If you’re thinking of jumping on the celery juice train, these are all the reasons to do it! Try it for yourself and see what kind of benefits you notice.
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved this post on celery juice for beginners, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you want more healthy recipes, make sure to follow our Health Board on Pinterest!