Chile con queso, also known as queso, is the perfect addition to your appetizer roster. A velvety smooth cheese dip perfect for dipping tortilla chips, queso is absolutely delicious. With its Mexican roots, it’s ideal for your Cinco de Mayo parties and is the perfect side dish for quesadillas or tacos. You can also bring it out on game day and it’s sure to be a hit. With tons of ways to customize your queso dip, you can opt for classic queso or give up some extra flavour and texture with your favourite ingredients. Here are 55 queso dip recipes you’ll wish you tried sooner.
What is ‘Queso’?
Queso is a Mexican-inspired appetizer dip that’s made of thick and creamy melted cheese and chilli peppers. It’s typically served with nacho chips, but can also be used as a side for dishes like grilled chicken or a casserole. The great thing about queso is you can get creative with your ingredients by using different variations of cheeses, adding different kinds of hot peppers and adding different types of meat. It’s entirely customizable, so let your preferences guide what you add into it. You can make it spicy, creamy, punchy and yes, it’s possible to make vegan versions too!
6 Queso-Making Tips for Beginners
1. Steer Clear of Pre-Packaged Shredded Cheese
To make a batch of the smooth, creamy queso everyone knows and loves, it’s important to buy chunks or blocks and grate the cheese yourself. Pre-packaged shredded cheese is mixed with non-clumping agents that prevent the cheese from melting into a smooth sauce. No matter what cheese you decide on for your queso, shredding it yourself is key!
2. Don’t Skip the American Cheese
American cheese is a must for queso dip if you’re looking for that smooth, velvety finish. It’s designed to be extremely meltable and provides the perfect texture for the dip. Other cheeses such as pepper jack and cheddar provide the flavour and stretchy pull. You can use a combination of cheeses, but make sure to keep American cheese in there for best results.
3. Add in Extras
While classic queso dip is made with a combination of cheese, chilis, butter, onions and dairy, there are plenty of ways to customize your queso to your taste buds. Mix in additional ingredients such as bacon, chorizo, chicken, crawfish, corn or sauteéd vegetables for some extra flavour and texture. You can also switch up the cheeses you use for new flavour profiles each time you make it!
4. Cornstarch is Key
Cornstarch is a key ingredient that will thicken the queso and provide body to your dip. It absorbs water, ensuring your dip doesn’t have a dressing-like consistency. Cornstarch also prevents the fats and protein from grouping together to form grease and stringy clumps. It will make your dip perfectly nice and smooth.
5. Use Low Heat
Once the cheese has been added to your queso dip, maintaining a low temperature is crucial to achieve a smooth queso. No bubbles should break the surface of the dip once you’ve added the cheese, so pay attention to the temperature and use patience to ensure you don’t end up burning or separating the cheese.
6. Take the Spice Up a Notch
If you love spicy foods, don’t shy away from adding spice to your queso dip. Jalapeños, serranos and habaneros pack a lot of heat and will give your queso an extra kick. Choose your spice level based on your personal preference, and if you like heat but don’t want it crazy spicy, you can always add hot sauce, chilli powder or cayenne instead.
55 Queso Dip Recipes
1. Life Changing Queso Dip | Recipe Tin Eats
2. The Best Jalapeno Queso | Half Baked Harvest
3. 5 Minute Nacho Cheese Dip | Budget Bytes
4. Corn Queso Dip | Platings and Pairings
5. Smoky Bacon Queso | KJ and Company
6. Slow Cooker Chicken Queso Dip | Sugar and Soul
7. Black Bean Con Queso Dip | Mama Needs Cake
8. Sausage Queso Dip | Natasha’s Kitchen
9. Seafood Queso Dip | Epicurious
10. Vegan Street Corn Queso Dip | Fit Foodie Finds
11. Beer Cheese Queso | My Modern Cookery
12. Creamy Chorizo Queso Dip | Damn Delicious
13. Fiesta Sausage Queso | Mantitlement
14. Cheesy Spinach and Bacon Queso Dip | Ready Set Eat
15. Queso Verde Corn Dip | The Recipe Critic
16. Plant-Based Black Bean Queso Dip | One Ingredient Chef
17. Beef Queso Dip | Kevin is Cooking
18. Southwestern Chicken Queso Dip | Ready Set Eat
19. Easy Mexican Queso Dip | Isabel Eats
20. Restaurant-Style White Queso | The Cookie Rookie
21. Keto Queso | Four Score Living
22. Spicy Sausage Queso Dip | Ready Set Eat
23. Creamy Monterey Jack Queso | The Oven Light
24. Hamburger Queso Dip | Lil’ Luna
25. Perfect Creamy White Queso Dip | Joyful Healthy Eats
26. Pepperoni Pizza Queso | Food Network
27. Chorizo Mushroom and Onion Queso | Serious Eats
28. Creamy Jalapeno Queso | Sue Bee Homemaker
29. Vegan Cauliflower Queso | Yup, It’s Vegan
30. Spicy Queso Dip | Artzy Foodie
31. Pressure Cooker Ranch Queso | Hidden Valley
32. Spinach Con Queso | All Recipes
33. Roasted Jalapeno Vegan Queso | Minimalist Baker
34. Classic Tex-Mex Queso | How to Feed a Loon
35. Easy Veggie Queso | Positively Splendid
36. White Spinach Queso | Five Heart Home
37. Chile Con Queso | Once Upon a Chef
38. Zesty White Queso Dip | Dinner at the Zoo
39. Restaurant-Style Queso Dip | Don’t Sweat the Recipe
40. Creamy Vegan Queso | Cookie and Kate
41. Chipotle Queso (Copycat) | Dinner Then Dessert
42. Elote Queso | Pinch of Yum
43. Queso Dip with Cilantro and Lime | Whitehall Specialties
44. Cowboy Queso | A Gouda Life
45. Crawfish Queso Dip | Aimee Brousard
46. Tomato Queso Dip | Honey and Birch
47. Queso with Pickled Jalapeno and Pickle Juice | Bon Appetit
48. Velveeta Queso | The Cozy Cook
49. 2-Ingredient Cheesy Queso Dip | Six Sisters’ Stuff
50. Outrageous Mexican Queso Dip | Swanky Recipes
51. Homemade Nacho Queso Dip | Chew Out Loud
52. Spicy Queso Dip | My Recipes
53. Cashew-Less Vegan Queso | Minimalist Baker
54. Easy Beef Queso | Dash of Sanity
55. Smoked Queso Dip | Plain Chicken
Queso dip will be a serious game changer in your appetizer rotation. Whip it up for game days and on Cinco de Mayo for a tasty dip that will have everyone talking.
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you love these queso dip recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more delicious recipes? Make sure to follow our Food and Recipes Board on Pinterest!