Blush is somewhat of an underrated beauty product. It brings life and colour into your face and is often one of the final steps in your makeup routine because it pulls your whole look together. But it’s easy to go overboard with blush, or mess up the placement so that it doesn’t flatter your face. To get the best out of your blush, we’ve come up with some blush application and placement tips as well as blush make-up looks we love that you can do yourself at home!
5 Best Blush Products to Invest In
1. NARS Blush
NARS is known for their pressed powder blushes, in shades like ‘Orgasm’, ‘Desire’ and ‘Amour”. The formula delivers healthy-looking colour to flatter any skin tone. The silky pigments are available in matte and shimmering shades and deliver a wide range of effects, from ultra sheer to powerful pops of colour, depending on the look you’re going for.
2. Rare Beauty Liquid Blush
The Rare Beauty Liquid Blush has become a cult favourite and for good reason. Available in a multitude of shades, it’s a long-lasting formula that blends and builds beautifully for a soft, healthy flush. Available in matte or dewy finishes, a little goes a long way and will give you a natural second-skin finish.
3. Bare Minerals Gen Nude Powder Blush
This blush will give you an instant natural flush, defining your cheekbones and warming and brightening your complexion. The ultra-creamy formula is long lasting, buildable and features mauves, pinks, peaches and beiges. It contains antioxidants and a hydrating formula that’s good for your skin.
4. e.l.f. Putty Blush
This super affordable blush has a cream-to-powder finish that’s lightweight yet buildable. It has a velvety texture that melts into your skin for a natural glow. The highly pigmented, silky smooth formula is infused with Argan oil and vitamin E to hydrate and nourish your skin and give you a flushed-from-within glow.
5. Julep Beauty Blush Stick
A blush stick is a convenient way to apply your blush and this one instantly gives you a flush of soft colour. Enriched with moisturizing emollients for a smooth glide and ultra-fine pigments for bold, rich colour, you’re going to love this blush! Plus, you can also use it as a matching lip tint.
7 Blush Application Tips and Hacks
1. Sample blush colours and choose the right shade for your skin tone to ensure it flatters your complexion and doesn’t look unnatural.
2. Blush for your face shape. Oval and square shaped faces should apply blush to the apples of the cheeks, blending it upwards and outwards for a soft, diffused finish. Round and heart shaped faces should apply blush along their cheekbones, starting at the outer part of the face to give the illusion of more sculpted features.
3. Invest in a good blush brush. Look for one that’s dense, soft, natural/vegan hair and easily able to diffuse colour. A tightly packed blush can pick up too much product and make the colour too intense. The Sigma Beauty Multitasker Brush is a great option.
4. Make sure to blend your blush out well using a brush or beauty blender. You should look like you have a natural flush with no harsh lines, but a noticeable tinge of colour.
5. If you have dry or uneven skin texture, stick with matte or cream finishes. Shimmery blush can magnify pimples, bumps or large pores.
6. Need a long-lasting makeup look for a long day or event? Layer a powder blush over a cream or liquid formula. Just make sure to apply each product sparingly so it’s not overkill.
7. Seal in your blush and the rest of your makeup with a setting spray. Mist it all over to cover all sides of your face and lock in your makeup all day.
5 Blush Make-Up Looks We Love
1. I Can’t Stop Wearing This Makeup Look | Allana Davison
This tutorial is the perfect example of layering a powder blush over a cream blush. You can see the way the colour really pops when you apply it this way, resulting in a gorgeous finish. This is a great technique if you want your blush to look more apparent, like when you’re taking photos or going to an event!
2. Simple Everyday Makeup | Bre Rook
This blush look is super subtle but will give you a flawless glow. It’s barely there, but still noticeable enough that it makes an impact. This entire look is the perfect everyday makeup routine to add into your arsenal. She uses the MAC Mineralize Blush as the finishing touch to her makeup look.
3. Must Have Non Pore Clogging Makeup Products / Bronzy, Glowy Everyday Makeup Routine | Sami Clarke
If you want a gorgeous sun-kissed look for your face, this tutorial is for you. She shows you how to get a bronzed, glowy base and then how to add blush to enhance the look. She uses the Saie Dewy Liquid Blush and shows you how to apply it for a more subtle look and then build it up to be a bit more intense. She also uses this Laura Gellar Brush to blend out her blush.
4. The Ultimate Night Out Makeup Tutorial | Jordan Lipscombe
This glam makeup look is perfect for a night out. From the gorgeous brown shadow look to the contouring, and of course the blush, duplicate this look when you want to feel fabulous. She uses the Anastasia Beverly Hills Blush Stick to bring in some colour after bronzing. She applies it straight to the skin and blends it out with a brush.
5. Pink Valentine’s Day Makeup Tutorial | Romantic and Glowy | Anife
This romantic look is ideal for Valentine’s Day, but also works for date nights any time of the year. It’s a super pretty pink, soft, glowy look and she takes you through step-by-step on exactly how to replicate it. For the blush look she mixes the Rare Beauty Liquid Blush with the Rare Beauty Liquid Luminizer and also applies a loose powder blush on top.
Blush is a gorgeous way to add colour and life into your makeup looks. Follow these tips and tutorials to go from an everyday blush look to a glam night out.
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you love these blush make-up looks? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more gorgeous make-up looks? Make sure to follow our Beauty Board on Pinterest!