Essential oils are wonderful for your health and mental wellness. Many essential oils have properties that can benefit you whether you’re looking to relax and sleep better, want better concentration or are looking to curb your anxiety. These therapeutic oils are extracted from plants, are highly concentrated and have a strong aroma. You can use them in your bath or diffuse them in your office, living room or bedroom for some serious relaxation. If you need help easing stress or anxious thoughts, consider these essential oils for anxiety to help calm you down.
What Are the Benefits of Using Essential Oils?
- Boost your mood
- Improve sleep
- Lower anxiety and pain
- Help relieve headaches and migraines
- Reduce nausea
- Ease pain from menstrual cramps
- Relieve muscle pain
- Boost immunity and fight infection
- Support digestion
- Boost energy levels
- Improve brain function
- Alleviate aches and pains
7 Essential Oil Tips for Beginners
- Pinpoint your problem – do your research so you know which essential oils work best for various needs. Whether you want to sleep better, reduce anxiety or boost your energy and concentration, figure out which oils work best for your personal needs as each has its own strengths and benefits.
- If you have children or pets, educate yourself – there are some that oils should not be used around kids and pets. For example, cinnamon, peppermint and ylang ylang are a few of the essential oils that are poisonous to dogs.
- Make sure to buy reputable essential oil brands/companies – these products are vetted for quality, purity, potency and overall effectiveness.
- When applying topically (directly to the body), dilute your essential oils – use a carrier oil, such as coconut, jojoba or avocado oil to dilute – look for organic and cold pressed oils. Essential oils are very potent, so you must dilute them before applying them to your skin.
- The best place to apply the oils topically – apply them behind the ears, on the chest, the wrists, the temples or bottom of the feet.
- Invest in a diffuser – this will help set an ambiance and disperse oils into a micro-fine vapour throughout the air in whichever space you choose.
- Bathe in relaxing essential oils – such as lavender and chamomile. Mix 15-20 drops with epsom salts in a separate bowl, then pour them into the bath.
How Can Essential Oils Help with Anxiety?
Essential oils are well known for their powerful abilities to reduce stress and help with anxiety. Aromatherapy has been found to be helpful when used alongside other strategies to help ground people with anxiety. Essential oils can be used to create a mental anchor. By using certain essential oils during times when you feel calm and relaxed, you can use that same smell when you feel an anxiety attack coming on. The smell itself can trigger a memory of being in a happy and safe place.
Aromatherapy using essential oils also positively affects the body’s endocrine system. Since your cortisol levels are high during a heightened state of anxiety, a series of slow breaths with the aroma of an essential oil can calm the cortisol response and create a soothing effect. Oils seem to be even more powerful when they’re combined in blends.
What Are the Best Essential Oils for Anxiety?
5 Best Essential Oil Blends for Anxiety
1. Eden’s Garden Stress Relief Essential Oil
This blend combines sweet orange, bergamot, patchouli and grapefruit to help calm and relax you and relieve you of any mental baggage. Eden’s Garden is a women-owned company that sources each essential oil and raw ingredient and tests every batch of essential oils to ensure therapeutic value and purity.
2. Plant Therapy Worry Free Essential Oil Blend
The ‘Worry Free’ blend is designed to help you relax and achieve some peace of mind, with ingredients including lavender, sweet marjoram, ylang ylang, Australian sandalwood and Roman chamomile. Diffuse it or apply it topically with a carrier oil to help calm yourself in stressful times. It will also help you sleep.
3. Gya Labs Stress Relief Essential Oil
This 100% pure and natural essential oil blend is free of any additives and undiluted, making it ideal for stress relief and anxiety. This blend of ylang ylang, rose geranium, sweet orange and lemongrass will help you stay calm and de-stress, especially if your stress and anxiety is rooted in working and being busy. This blend is also great for relieving headaches.
4. Nexon Botanics Stress Ease Synergy Blend
This essential oil blend consists of pure and natural lemon, black spruce, geranium, lavender, ylang ylang, sweet orange, patchouli, clary sage and frankincense. It helps relieve mild discomfort and stress, creating an ambiance that promotes relaxation and tranquility.
5. Plant Therapy Chill Out Essential Oil Blend
If you’re feeling anxious and overwhelmed, this essential oil blend will evoke peace and calm in your home, office or wherever you need it. The blend includes blue tansy, sweet orange, patchouli, tangerine, and ylang ylang to help relax you while also boosting your mood. It can also help you sleep. Dilute with your favourite carrier oil and massage on your temples and back of your neck before bed to promote tranquility and relax your body.
If you’re someone who deals with anxiety, try these essential oil tips and blends to de-stress and ground yourself when you need it most.
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you enjoy this post on essential oils for anxiety? We’d love it if you shared it on Pinterest!
Looking for more mental health tips? Make sure to follow our Mental Health Board on Pinterest!