Pomegranates are one of the healthiest foods on the planet. They’re nutritious, delicious and add a flavourful crunch to any healthy recipe. Pomegranates are also filled with antioxidants and nutrients that raise their healthiness through the roof. Chronic inflammation is one of the main culprits of serious diseases such as heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes and Alzheimers. Increasing anti-inflammatory foods, such as pomegranates, in your diet will improve your health and help you get rid of inflammation. Take a look at 50 healthy pomegranate recipes you’re sure to love!
What Are The Health Benefits of Pomegranates?
1. Highly Anti-Inflammatory
If you’re looking to reduce inflammation in your body, add pomegranates to your diet ASAP. Pomegranate juice has awesome anti-inflammatory properties due to its potent antioxidant content. It helps reduce inflammation in the body and prevent oxidative stress and damage.
2. High in Antioxidants
Pomegranates are extremely high in antioxidants, protecting your body from harmful free radicals that can lead to diseases and premature aging. Free radicals are formed by harmful toxins in the environment, as well as exposure to the sun. Protecting yourself from free radicals is key to staying healthy!
3. Rich in Medicinal Plant Compounds
Pomegranates contain two unique plant compounds that hold most of their health benefits. The first is punicalagins, which are powerful antioxidants found in the pomegranate juice and peel. Pomegranates have three times the antioxidant activity as red wine and green tea, to put it in perspective. The second is punicic acid, which is found in pomegranate seed oil, and is the main fatty acid in the arils. It has potent biological effects and is effective against various chronic diseases.
4. Aids in Digestion
If you deal with digestive issues, pomegranates may be your saving grace. They contain a good dose of vitamin B complex, which help the body convert protein, fat and carbs into energy. They provide ample amounts of folate and fibre, and fibre is extremely beneficial for the digestive system. It helps food move easily through the body and aids with issues such as constipation, hemorrhoids and diarrhea.
5. Helps Relieve Arthritis and Joint Pain
Arthritis often involves inflammation in the joints, and with pomegranates’ anti-inflammatory effects, it’s no secret they would help with inflammation. Pomegranates can reduce swelling, joint tenderness and pain. Plus, pomegranate extract has been found to block production of an enzyme that worsens arthritis by damaging collagen.
How to Cut a Pomegranate
Pomegranates are one of the most intimidating fruits to cut, but once you learn how to properly cut and deseed them, you’ll be eating them all the time. Keep in mind that pomegranate juice will stain, so be careful where you cut it open – it’s best to use a cutting board. There are a few ways to cut open a pomegranate but we believe the way below is best!
Step one: Remove the crown of the pomegranate (where the knob/stem is), cutting all the way around the top and creating a shallow circle. Pull the crown off to reveal the seeds.
Step two: Make shallow, vertical cuts around the ridges of the pomegranate, just through the red part of the pomegranate skin, from crown end to the bottom. You should be making about 6 cuts, but if you can’t feel the ridges just make several gentle cuts from the top to the bottom around the pomegranate.
Step three: Gently pull the pomegranate apart with your fingers. It should open easily, and it helps to do it over a large bowl, so any loose seeds will fall into the bowl.
Step four: Pry the seeds away from the peel and membrane over the large bowl. You can fill the bowl with water so the seeds sink to the bottom and the membrane floats to the top, in case any of the membrane falls into the bowl as well.
Step five: Strain the seeds from the water and enjoy!
50 Pomegranate Recipes Worth Trying
1. Beetroot, Fig and Pomegranate Salad | Delish
2. Pomegranate Molasses Chicken | Bon Appétit
3. Eggplant, Pistachio and Pomegranate Pizza | Martha Stewart
4. Miso Burgers with Mint and Pomegranate Slaw | BBC Good Food
5. Lamb and Pistachio Pizza with Pomegranate Molasses | Delish
6. Pomegranate and Pear Green Salad | Cookie and Kate
7. Pomegranate Dark Chocolate Bites | This Healthy Table
8. Pomegranate Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies | Hidden Ponies
9. Pomegranate Feta Salad | The Girl Who Ate Everything
10. Pomegranate Chia Seed Yogurt Parfait | Bon Appetit
11. Lamb Meatball Curry with Pomegranate Raita | Delish
12. Pomegranate Braised Short Ribs | Martha Stewart
13. Mulled Pomegranate Juice | BBC Good Food
14. Pomegranate Goat Cheese Dip | Health.com
15. Cucumber Pomegranate Salad | Scrambled Chefs
16. Pomegranate Orange Muffins | Pinch of Yum
17. Healthy Pomegranate Lemonade | The Busy Baker
18. Pomegranate Paloma | Cooking Light
19. Pomegranate Pimm’s | BBC Good Food
20. Pumpkin Swirls with Pomegranate | Delish
21. Pomegranate Apple Salad with Greek Yogurt | Bon Appétit
22. Raw Kale Salad with Pomegranate and Toasted Walnuts | Martha Stewart
23. Chocolate Pomegranate Seeds | Food.com
24. Pomegranate Jalapeño Glazed Ham | Food & Wine
25. Pomegranate and Pistachio Chicken Drumsticks | Taste
26. Beef Tenderloin with Pomegranate Sauce | Eating Well
27. Pomegranate Sage Gin Sparkler | Health.com
28. Pomegranate Braised Pork Belly | BBC Good Food
29. Lamb Chops with Pomegranate Relish | Bon Appétit
30. Pomegranate Roasted Chicken | Martha Stewart
31. Coconut Pomegranate Tart | Taste
32. Pomegranate, Cranberry and Bri Bruschetta | Eating Well
33. Maple Pomegranate Glazed Ham | The Adventure Bite
34. Coconut Rice and Pomegranate Porridge | Cotter Crunch
35. Mediterranean Pomegranate Tomato Salad | The Mediterranean Dish
36. Pomegranate Mango Salsa | Bless This Mess
37. Roast Chicken and Pomegranate Farro Salad | Eating Well
38. Pomegranate Banana Smoothie | Food & Wine
39. Pomegranate Bulgur Salad | Martha Stewart
40. Chickpea Yogurt Dip | Bon Appétit
41. Burnt Sprouts with Pomegranate and Sesame | BBC Good Food
42. Chicken Pomegranate Guac Tacos | Health.com
43. Pomegranate Glazed Salmon | Food & Wine
44. Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranates | Taste
45. Roasted Vegetables with Pomegranate Vinaigrette | Martha Stewart
46. Pomegranate Citrus Fizz | Taste
47. Middle Eastern Eggplant Salad | Taste
48. Veggie Burgers with Pomegranate Ketchup | Food & Wine
49. Pomegranate Mint Relish | Bon Appétit
50. Pomegranate Sunrise Popsicles | Health.com
With all their healthy benefits, pomegranates should be on regular rotation in your daily meal plan. Add them in to help with inflammation and feeling healthier all around.
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you love our roundup of health pomegranate recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
If you want more ideas for healthy recipes, make sure to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!