The smell and sound of sizzling bacon is one of the best things to wake up to in the morning, but we have to admit, it’s not exactly the healthiest food out there. While gorging on forkfuls of fatty, greasy bacon is a great way to derail your healthy diet, there are ways to enjoy bacon recipes guilt free. The type of bacon you buy, as well as how you cook it can make a big difference, so check out our round up of healthy bacon recipes and tips so you can enjoy bacon without the guilt!
5 Tips for Making Healthy Bacon Recipes
1. Opt for Uncured Bacon
Uncured bacon is bacon that hasn’t been cured with synthetically-sourced sodium nitrite. Sodium nitrite is what many bacon makers add to bacon to preserve and colour the bacon (it gives it that bright pink colour we all know). Uncured bacon is cured with naturally occurring nitrites found in celery, beets and other veggies. The vegetables combined with seasonings and fresh sea salt create a cure that’s free from artificial chemicals.
2. Buy Centre Cut Bacon
Centre cut bacon is great because it’s lower in fat and you end up getting more of the actual meat. Centre cut bacon comes from the middle of the pork belly. The fatty ends of the bacon have been trimmed, making leaner slices. They’re also usually the highest quality slices, so expect to pay a little more for them.
3. Try Reduced Salt Bacon
Another way to consume bacon in a healthier way is to buy bacon with reduced salt. Although your body needs some sodium to work properly, diets high in sodium are linked to an increased risk of developing high blood pressure, which is a major cause of stroke and heart disease. Regular bacon is known to be quite high in sodium, so opting for reduced salt bacon is a more heart healthy option.
4. Roast Your Bacon
Roasting your bacon is one of the healthiest ways to cook it. Place strips of bacon evenly on a baking sheet with parchment paper and roast at 400-degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until cooked through. The result will be crispy, tender and chewy bacon that isn’t too fatty or greasy.
5. Grill It!
Another healthy way to cook your bacon is on the barbecue. Grilling your bacon on the BBQ ensures the fat drips away and helps eliminate excess grease, all while infusing the meat with a delicious, smoky flavour. Let your bacon sit out for about 10 minutes before putting on the barbecue, and be sure to keep the strips a few inches apart while they cook. Preparing bacon on the grill takes about 5 to 7 minutes, so make sure to constantly monitor it so the slices don’t burn.
20 Healthy Bacon Recipes for Breakfast
1. Bacon Egg Cups | Healthy Recipes
2. Healthy Breakfast Skillet | Snacking in Sneakers
3. English Breakfast Frittata | Sugar Free Londoner
4. Smoky Bacon Sweet Potato Hash and Eggs | Joyful Healthy Eats
5. Mexican Breakfast Tostadas | Plantings and Pairings
6. Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches | Tastes Better From Scratch
7. Baked Eggs with Tomato and Bacon | Pants Down Aprons on
8. Egg and Bacon Cauliflower English Muffin Breakfast Sandwiches | Eating Well
9. Bacon and Egg Breakfast Tacos | Erhardts Eat
10. Cheesy Bacon and Egg Hash | Cafe Delites
11. Quiche Lorraine with Zucchini Crust | Eating Well
12. Low Carb Bacon, Egg and Spinach Breakfast Casserole | Stay Snatched
13. Bacon and Veggie Egg-Free Paleo Breakfast Skillet | Whole Kitchen Sink
14. Low Carb Bacon and Broccoli Egg Burrito | Eating Well
15. Easy Breakfast Quesadilla | Pumpkin ‘N Spice
16. Cheesy Bacon and Egg Breakfast Bombs | Jones Dairy Farm
17. Healthy Freezer Bacon and Egg Breakfast Burrito | Joyful Healthy Eats
18. Healthy Breakfast Fried Rice with Bacon | My Crazy Good Life
19. Air Fried Breakfast Bombs | Cooking Light
20. Overnight Breakfast Casserole with Bacon and Sweet Potato | Sweet Peas and Saffron
20 Healthy Bacon Recipes for Lunch and Dinner
1. BLT Stuffed Avocado | Wholesome Yum
2. Sweet Potato Salad with Bacon | Well Plated
3. Zucchini Noodles with Bacon, Ricotta and Peas | Recipe Runner
4. BLT Pasta Salad | Paula’s Plate
5. Caramelized Leek, Bacon and Goat Cheese Potato Salad | Wright Family Table
6. Bacon, Brie and Apple Grilled Cheese | Life as a Strawberry
7. Healthy Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta | Pinch of Yum
8. Bacon and Shrimp Quinoa Fried Rice | Wok and Skillet
9. Salmon, Pea and Bacon Pasta | Stuck on Sweet
10. Bacon Wrapped Mediterranean Chicken | Briana Thomas
11. Roasted Vegetable Brown Rice Risotto with Bacon and Kale | Happy Healthy Mama
12. Bacon and White Bean Stew | Tastes Lovely
13. Bacon, Egg and Maple Grilled Cheese | Food Network
14. Aubergine, Chilli and Bacon Pasta | BBC Good Food
15. Butternut Squash Soup with Bacon | Eat This, Not That
16. Crunchy Asian Pea Salad with Honeyed Bacon | Food and Wine
17. Bacon-Wrapped Monkfish | BBC Good Food
18. Slow Cooker Chicken in Red Wine | Eat This, Not That
19. Grilled Chicken and Watercress Salad with Canadian Bacon | Food and Wine
20. Baked Potato Soup | Eat This, Not That
20 Healthy Bacon Recipes for Dessert
1. Healthy Maple Bacon Cupcakes | My Keto Kitchen
2. Maple Bacon Chocolate Truffles | Healthy Delicious
3. Candied Bacon Sweet Potato Cupcakes | Better Homes and Gardens
4. Sweet and Savoury Chocolate Bacon Bark | The Spruce Eats
5. Chocolate Covered Bacon | Savoury Experiments
6. BLT Dessert Bites | Better Homes and Gardens
7. Low Carb Maple Bacon Crack | Joy Filled Eats
8. Decadent Bacon Brownies | King Arthur Baking
9. Maple Bacon Cake | Wanderlust Wellness
10. Candied Bacon | All Recipes
11. Easy Coconut Bacon | Minimalist Baker
12. Caramelized Bacon and Apples | The Creative Bite
13. Maple Bacon Cinnamon Rolls | The Soccer Mom Blog
14. Maple Bacon Rice Krispie Treats | Lauren’s Latest
15. Bacon Weave Apple Pie | Delish
16. Bacon Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Blondies | Punchfork
17. Bacon Studded Maple Donut Holes | I Breathe, I’m Hungry
18. Maple Bacon Fudge | Ashlee Marie
19. Peanut Butter and Bacon Blondies | Taste of Home
20. Apple Bacon Galette | Food Network
There’s no doubt about it – bacon is delicious and can make any meal taste better, whether it’s breakfast, dinner or dessert. Use our tips and delicious healthy bacon recipes to enjoy bacon guilt free!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you love this round up of healthy bacon recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more guilt free recipes? Make sure to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!