We’re big dip fans over here. Be it a savoury veggie dip, sweet fruit dip or a zesty dip for chips, dips are the perfect appetizer to serve your guests. Everyone loves a great dip and these healthy dip recipes will ensure your family and guests can enjoy them guilt free. With smart substitutions, we’ve rounded up delicious dips that are low in fat and calories and rich in good-for-you ingredients so everyone is satisfied. If you love dips as much as we do and are looking for healthier ways to enjoy them, check out our best dip tips and recipes!
5 Tips for Making Healthy Dip Recipes
1. Fill Your Dips with Healthy Ingredients
The ingredients in your dips make all the difference. While many dip recipes call for high fat, high calorie ingredients, like cheese, sour cream and cream cheese, you can make your dips healthier by opting for lower calorie ingredients. Think avocado and Greek yogurt, pumpkin and chickpeas, and broccoli and pesto.
2. Use Greek Yogurt Instead of Mayo or Sour Cream
As we mentioned above, lots of dips call for higher fat ingredients like mayo and sour cream. These ingredients are quite high in calories. To make your dips healthier, switch out mayo and sour cream for Greek yogurt instead. It’s high in nutrients, protein and probiotics that keep your gut healthy.
3. Substitute Meat with Veggies
If your dip calls for meat like bacon or steak, try replacing it with meaty vegetables such as mushrooms, zucchini or eggplant. A diet high in red meat can increase your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. If you already eat a lot of meat, subbing it out of your dip recipes is a great way to cut down on meat and get more veggies into your diet.
4. Cut Back on Cheese
Cheese is delicious, but it’s also high in fat and calories. If your dip calls for cheese inside or on top, omit it or cut it down by half. If you half it, you can still cover your dip in cheese, but you don’t have to go overboard. And if you’re going to use cheese, stick with healthier, low calorie cheeses such as mozzarella, blue cheese and feta for your dips.
5. Opt for Natural Sweeteners
If you’re making a fruit dip, it’s often made with sweeteners like marshmallow fluff, whipped cream or refined sugar. Go healthier with your sweeteners by using all natural substitutes like honey, dates or maple syrup. This will allow you to enjoy your dips guilt free.
20 Healthy Dip Recipes for Vegetables
1. Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip | Well Plated
2. Healthy Garden Veggie Dip | Peas and Crayons
3. Healthy Veggie Dip with Greek Yogurt and Dill | iFoodReal
4. Avocado Yogurt Dip with Cumin | My Recipes
5. Beet Yogurt Dip | Cooking Light
6. Lima Bean Hummus | The Pesky Vegan
7. Beet Hummus with Blue Cheese and Walnuts | My Recipes
8. Healthy Roasted Vegetable Dips, 3 Ways | Walder Wellness
9. Dill Vegetable Dip | Rachel Cooks
10. Zesty Green Goddess Dip | My Recipes
11. Simple Healthy Hummus | Spend with Pennies
12. Black Bean Dip | The Lemon Bowl
13. Roasted Red Pepper and Cannellini Bean Dip | My Recipes
14. Healthy Herbed Cottage Cheese Veggie Dip | From Scratch Fast
15. Bacon Blue Cheese Buffalo Dip | Cupcakes and Kale Chips
16. Healthy Pumpkin Dip | My Recipes
17. Boiled Peanut Hummus | Bon Appetit
18. Mayan Pumpkin Seed Dip | Food and Wine
19. Roasted Carrot and White Bean Dip | Saveur
20. Butternut Squash and Tahini Yogurt Dip | Food and Wine
20 Healthy Dip Recipes for Fruit
1. Yogurt Pumpkin Spice Fruit Dip | Foodie Crush
2. Honey and Lemon Dip | My Recipes
3. Greek Yogurt Fruit Dip (3 Ways) | Sweet Peas and Saffron
4. Honey Vanilla Cream Cheese Fruit Dip | Celebrating Sweets
5. Cinnamon Yogurt Fruit Dip | A Couple Cooks
6. Healthy Sugared Vanilla Yogurt Fruit Dip | Two Healthy Kitchens
7. Healthy Strawberry Yogurt Fruit Dip | A Love Letter to Food
8. Chocolate Fruit Dip | Cooking Classy
9. Hawaiian Fruit Dip | Yummy Healthy Easy
10. Cream Cheese Caramel Apple Dip | The Cookie Rookie
11. Lemon Cream Fruit Dip | Cooking Classy
12. Chocolate Peanut Butter Fruit Dip | A Latte Food
13. 3-Ingredient Strawberry Fluff Fruit Dip | A Pretty Life
14. Pina Colada Fruit Dip | Like Mother, Like Daughter
15. Key Lime Greek Yogurt Dip | Flavour the Moments
16. Vegan Orange Fruit Dip | Kathy’s Vegan Kitchen
17. Avocado Chocolate Fruit Dip | Fit Mitten Kitchen
18. Creamy Cherry Pie Fruit Dip | Oh She Glows
19. Peanut Butter Fruit Dip | The Kitchn
20. Sweet Hummus Fruit Dip | This Healthy Kitchen
20 Healthy Dip Recipes for Chips
1. Guiltless French Onion Dip | The Kitchen Girl
2. Caramelized Onion Dip | Parade
3. Spicy Corn Dip | With Salt and Wit
4. Healthy Spinach Dip | iFoodReal
5. Lighter French Onion Dip | Gimme Some Oven
6. Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip | Natasha’s Kitchen
7. Healthy French Onion Dip | Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog
8. Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip | Recipe Runner
9. Creamy Jalapeno Dip | Keto Cooking Wins
10. Caramelized Onion White Bean Dip | It’s a Veg World After All
11. Greek Yogurt Chip Dip | Healthy Recipes
12. Healthier Creamy Mexican Fiesta Dip | Parsnips and Pastries
13. Vegetarian Buffalo Bean Dip | Happy Food Healthy Life
14. Garlic and Herb Yogurt Dip | My Recipes
15. Healthy Chip Dip | Calla’s Clean Eats
16. 5-Minute Bean Dip | A Couple Cooks
17. Creamy Avocado Dip with Scallions | Epicurious
18. Skinny 7 Layer Dip | ALl Recipes
19. Vegan Queso Dip | A Couple Cooks
20. Vegan Cashew Ranch Dip | The Toasted Pine Nut
There’s nothing like a good, healthy dip for game day, after school or as an appetizer for a gathering. Try out our favourite healthy dip recipes and make your guests swoon!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you enjoy this round up of healthy dip recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more healthy recipes? Make sure to follow our Health Board on Pinterest!