We all know the joy of licking raw cookie batter off the spoon while making cookies. But while raw cookie dough may taste delicious, the reality is, it’s actually pretty dangerous to eat. It’s a well known fact that people shouldn’t eat raw eggs, but many people don’t know that raw flour can also be quite risky. Enter: Edible cookie dough recipes that use safe ingredients you can eat raw. They’re just as delicious as classic cookie dough, but you can eat them without worry. Check out our favourite recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth!
3 Tips to Make Raw Cookie Dough Safe To Eat
1. Don’t Use Eggs
Cookie dough is typically made with eggs, which can cause salmonella if eaten raw. Salmonella is a type of bacteria that affects the intestinal tract and can lead to an upset stomach, diarrhea, fever, pain and cramping in your stomach. Eggs should never be eaten raw as even those with clean, un-cracked shells can carry salmonella. In place of the eggs, your cookie dough will need some moisture, which is typically achieved by dairy or non-dairy milk.
2. Heat Treat Raw Wheat Flour
Raw flour is just as dangerous to eat as raw eggs as it can contain E.coli, which causes food poisoning. Both salmonella and E.coli can be deadly so you should really avoid traditional raw cookie dough at all costs. Heat treating the flour will help kill any bacteria that may be present. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper that overhangs slightly so the process doesn’t get too messy. Then, follow these steps:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Spread flour evenly on baking sheet
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes (depending on your oven). You’re looking to get your flour to 160°F. You can use an instant-read thermometer. You don’t want it to start turning brown, but it needs to cook enough to kill the bacteria.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool before use. If the flour clumps, make sure to sift it before you use it in the recipe.
3. Use Alternative Flours
If you want to skip using raw wheat flour altogether, substitute a nut flour such as almond flour or coconut flour. These flours are made from raw nuts treated by heat to kill bacteria before being ground into flour. This makes them safe to eat in edible cookie dough recipes.
15 Low Calorie Edible Cookie Dough Recipes
1. Easy Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough | Lose Weight by Eating
2. Low Calorie Edible Cookie Dough | Sweet Liza
3. WW Friendly Edible Cookie Dough | Pound Dropper
4. Healthy Edible Protein Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough | Cooking with Anadi
5. Low Carb, Low Calorie Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough | Eating for Teal
6. Chickpea Cookie Dough | Chocolate Covered Katie
7. High Protein Low Calorie Cookie Dough | The Diet Chef
8. Skinny Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough | The Skinny Fork
9. Low Calorie Peanut Butter Cookie Dough | Yummly
10. Healthy Edible Cookie Dough Bites | The Baker Mama
11. Vegan Keto Cookie Dough | Life Made Keto
12. Healthy Protein Powder Cookie Dough | Food Faith Fitness
13. Low Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites | Milk and Honey Nutrition
14. Edible Gingerbread Cookie Dough | Plating Pixels
15. Sugar-Free Keto Edible Cookie Dough | Keto Cooking Christian
15 Gluten-Free Edible Cookie Dough Recipes
1. Gluten-Free Edible Cookie Dough with Sea Salt and Chocolate Chunks | Veggie Balance
2. Healthy Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites | Amy’s Healthy Baking
3. Edible Gluten-Free Cookie Dough | Simply Low Cal
4. Vegan and Gluten-Free Cookie Dough | 40 Aprons
5. Best Ever Edible Cookie Dough | The Big Man’s World
6. Funfetti Edible Cookie Dough | Show Me The Yummy
7. 5-Ingredient Healthy Cookie Dough with Garbanzo Beans | Good for You Gluten Free
8. Paleo Edible Cookie Dough | Paleo Running Momma
9. Low-FODMAP Edible Cookie Dough | Rachel Paul’s Food
10. Gluten-Free Eggless Cookie Dough | Kleinworth & Co.
11. Protein-Packed Healthy Cookie Dough | The Banana Diaries
12. Almond Flour Edible Cookie Dough | Profusion Curry
13. Gluten-Free Butterscotch Chip Edible Cookie Dough | Side Chef
14. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Edible Cookie Dough | Love and Lemons
15. Gluten-Free Mint Chip Edible Cookie Dough | Raise
15 Edible Cookie Dough Recipes for One
1. Single Serving Coconut Flour Cookie Dough | Foodie Fiasco
2. Edible Sugar Cookie Dough for One | Skinny Comfort
3. Vegan Cookie Dough for One | The Live-In Kitchen
4. Eggless Cookie Dough for One | Like Mother Like Daughter
5. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough for One | My Recipes
6. Healthy Cookie Dough Crumbles for One | The Big Man’s World
7. Chocolate Chip Edible Cookie Dough for One (3 Variations) | Lifestyle of a Foodie
8. The Best Vegan Edible Cookie Dough for One | Rach Mansfield
9. Single Serving Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough | The Kitchen Paper
10. Guilt-Free Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough for One | Salt and Lavender
11. Vegan Cookie Dough with Sea Salt and Chocolate Chips | The Almond Eater
12. Cookie Dough Dip for One | Dessert for Two
13. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Single Serving Cookie Dough | Cass Clay Cooking
14. 5-Minute Edible Cookie Dough for One | Cook Up Love
15. Three Ingredient Cookie Dough for One | Six Vegan Sisters
15 Edible Cookie Dough Recipes for Two
1. Edible Cookie Dough recipe (For Two) | Family Fresh Meals
2. Eggless Cookie Dough for Two | My Recipe Magic
3. Edible Cookie Dough 3 Ways | Cooking Classy
4. White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie Dough | The Leaf
5. Edible M&M Cookie Dough | Baking You Happier
6. Funfetti Edible Cookie Dough | Tornadough Alli
7. Chocolate Chip Edible Cookie Dough | Live Well Bake Often
8. Edible Sugar Cookie Dough | Mom on Time Out
9. Easy Edible Cookie Dough (In Every Flavour) | Tastes Better From Scratch
10. Ben and Jerry’s Edible Cookie Dough | Catcora
11. Edible Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough | With Two Spoons
12. Vegan and Gluten-Free Edible Cookie Dough | Mama Knows Gluten Free
13. Healthier Edible Cookie Dough | The Girl on Bloor
14. Edible Keto Cookie Dough | Low Carb with Jennifer
15. Edible Cookie Dough with Peanut Chocolate Chips | Baked in Arizona
If you’re as excited to eat edible cookie dough as us, try out these recipes and tips to make your cookie dough safe!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you enjoy these edible cookie dough recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more delicious recipes? Make sure to follow our Food and Recipes Board on Pinterest!