Bread is one of my biggest guilty pleasures. Whether it’s smeared with butter, served on the side of soup or used for a sandwich, there’s nothing quite like a scrumptious loaf of bread, especially if it’s homemade. Homemade bread may sound complex, but it’s surprisingly easy to make. All you need is a few ingredients plus supplies like a mixing bowl, cooking thermometer and a whisk or electric mixer. It takes some time and patience, but in the end, you’ll be left with your very own warm, delicious bread. There’s nothing better than a warm slice of fresh bread with some butter on top! We’ve compiled 60 different homemade bread recipes just for you, plus awesome tips to make your own bread!
Tips for Making Homemade Bread
1. Read Your Recipe Start to Finish
Before getting started on your homemade bread, it’s really important to read your recipe start to finish. Make sure you’re prepared for which step comes next and follow the timings exactly. There’s an art to making homemade bread, and having the right timings is a key piece of the puzzle.
2. Kneading Is Important
Making homemade bread is a process, and one of the most important parts of the process is kneading the dough. This step is crucial if you want bread with great texture. Kneading the dough enables gluten to form, allowing your bread to rise better, and come out fluffier and lighter. If you’re kneading by hand, you’ll want to knead for about 10 minutes.
3. Keep an Eye on Your Oven
Ovens are great, but they’re not always properly calibrated. If you’ve noticed your baked goods are coming out too light, too dry, or are taking longer to bake than the recipe says, the internal temperature may be off. Keep an eye on your bread while it’s baking to make sure it doesn’t start to burn. If you notice one side baking faster than the other, turn the pan around to ensure it bakes evenly.
4. Cool Bread Before Slicing It
The delicious smell of freshly baked bread will make you want to eat it as soon as it comes out of the oven, but make sure you let it cool a bit first. This will allow you to get smooth, uniform slices, which is particularly important if you’re serving it to guests! Allow it to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then place it on a wire rack to cool the rest of the way. If you leave the bread in the pan for longer than that, you’ll end up steaming it and your bread can become soggy.
5. Use a Bread Maker for Ease
Although bread can be made in the oven, using a bread maker machine makes the whole process much easier. All you have to do is measure out the ingredients and pop them into the bread maker. You don’t have to mix or knead, taking away a lot of the work that goes into making bread. There’s also little to no mess to clean up, compared to getting flour everywhere! If you’re low on time but still want to make delicious homemade bread, a bread maker is just the thing for you!
10 Easy Homemade Bread Recipes for Beginners
1. Simple Whole Wheat Bread | All Recipes
2. Basic Homemade Bread | Taste of Home
3. No-Knead Bread | Kitchn
4. 4-Ingredient Artisan Bread | It’s Always Autumn
5. The Easiest Loaf of Bread You’ll Ever Bake | King Arthur’s
6. Easy, Soft Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread | An Oregon Cottage
7. Super Easy Bread for Beginners | The Spruce Eats
8. Roasted Garlic and Herb No-Knead Bread | Kitchn
9. Easy Crusty French Bread | Life as a Strawberry
10. Quick Yeast Bread | Food.com
10 Whole Wheat Homemade Bread Recipes
1. Soft Whole Wheat Bread | Baking a Moment
2. Easy No-Fail Whole Wheat Bread | Loving It Vegan
3. No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread | Gemma’s Bigger Bolder Baking
4. Honey Whole Wheat Bread | A Mind Full Mom
5. Dutch Oven Whole Wheat Bread | Jo Cooks
6. Small Batch Soft and Fluffy Whole Wheat Bread | Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
7. 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread | Serious Eats
8. White Whole Wheat Bread | Super Healthy Kids
9. Foolproof Whole Wheat Bread | Real Simple
10. Whole Wheat Artisan Bread | It’s Always Autumn
10 No Yeast Homemade Bread Recipes
1. No Yeast Irish Soda Bread | Recipe Tin Eats
2. Easy homemade Bread (No Yeast) | Just a Taste
3. Emergency No Yeast Bread | Fuss Free Flavours
4. 6-Ingredient No Yeast Bread | Sally’s Baking Addiction
5. Brown Sugar Bread with No Yeast | Julie Blanner
6. Ridiculously Easy Homemade Banana Bread | Inspired Taste
7. Honey Beer Bread | Gimme Some Oven
8. Cheesy Zucchini Bread | Recipe Tin Eats
9. Classic American Salt-Rising Bread | King Arthur Flour
10. Homemade Rustic No Yeast Bread | An Italian in My Kitchen
10 Sourdough Homemade Bread Recipes
1. Easy Sourdough Artisan Bread | An Oregon Cottage
2. Tartine Style Sourdough Bread | Homemade Food Junkie
3. Naturally Leavened Sourdough Bread | King Arthur Flour
4. Simple Sourdough Bread | Don’t Waste the Crumbs
5. Best Sourdough Bread | Delish
6. Beginner’s Sourdough Bread | The Perfect Loaf
7. Emilie’s Everyday Sourdough | Vanilla and Bean
8. Simple No-Knead Sourdough Bread | Homestead and Chill
9. Bread Machine Crusty Sourdough Bread | Betty Crocker
10. Country Crust Sourdough Bread | Taste of Home
10 Homemade Bread Rolls Recipes
1. French Bread Rolls | Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
2. Soft Dinner Rolls | Sally’s Baking Addiction
3. The Best Homemade Dinner Rolls | The Stay at Home Chef
4. Grandma’s Rosemary Dinner Rolls | Taste of Home
5. 30-Minute Dinner Rolls | Spending with Pennies
6. Soft No Knead Dinner Rolls | Recipe Tin Eats
7. Crusty French Bread Rolls | Dinner Then Dessert
8. Garlic, Herb and Cheese Bread Rolls | Handle the Heat
9. Olive Oil Bread Rolls | An Italian in My Kitchen
10. Honey Squash Dinner Rolls | Taste of Home
10 Gluten-Free Homemade Bread Recipes
1. Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread | King Arthur’s Flour
2. Gluten-Free Peasant Bread | Feed Me Phoebe
3. Gluten-Free Artisan Bread | GF Jules
4. Simple Gluten-Free Bread | Jamie Oliver
5. Gluten-Free Pull-Apart Dinner Rolls | My Gluten-Free Kitchen
6. Easy Homemade Vegan Bread (Gluten-Free and Soy-Free) | Cotter Crunch
7. Seeded Multigrain Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread | Vanilla and Bean
8. Gluten-Free Cheesy Garlic Bread | Cut the Wheat
9. Coconut and Almond Bread | Divalicious Recipes
10. Gluten-Free White Bread | What the Fork
Homemade bread may take time and patience, but it’s an easy and fun thing to make! Upgrade your meals with your very own homemade bread!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you love our post on homemade bread recipes? We’d love if you shared it on Pinterest!
If you want more healthy recipes, make sure to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!