Light, decadent and fluffy, mousse is what dessert lover’s dreams are made of. When you’re full from dinner, but still want something sweet, a small cup of mousse is the perfect solution. It’s not the easiest dessert to make, but with the right tips and some practice, you’re sure to get the hang of it in no time. Use our tips, tricks and recipes for low calorie mousse recipes that are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth!
How to Make The Perfect Mousse
1. Choose Your Base
The base of your mousse will be your main flavouring component. Think: chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter, or fruit. If you’re making a chocolate or peanut butter mousse, these ingredients alone will be your base. If you want a fruit mousse, you’ll use a pureed fruit or a fruit custard. For flavours like vanilla or caramel, you’ll start with a custard base that can be flavoured in a number of ways.
2. Pick an Aerator
Aerators are a key component of mousse to give it that light, fluffy texture we know and love. Whole eggs or egg yolks are a great, stable aerator. Add the sweetener to the eggs and warm the mixture over a water bath (a pan of hot water that you place in the oven) – this will heat the eggs to a safe temperature. Whisk the mixture constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Other great aerators are coconut cream, whipped cream, coconut milk, aquafaba (chickpea water), and egg whites.
3. Fold It In
To mix a mousse, the aerators are gently added into the base by folding. Start off by adding a small amount, about 25% of the aerator to the base and mix it to combine. You can mix slightly more vigorously during this time. Add the remaining aerator in 2 or 3 additions and gently fold, just until the aerator is incorporated.
4. Let It Set
Once you’ve portioned out your mousse, allow it to set in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes. If you’re layering the mousse, allow each layer to set before you add the next. Mousse also keeps in the fridge for a few days, so you can make it ahead of time and eat it at your leisure.
3 Low Calorie Dessert Substitutes
1. Refined Sugar Substitutes
High amounts of refined sugar can increase your blood sugar levels and lead to diseases and health issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity and cardiovascular disease. Instead of sugar, try substitutes such as stevia, maple syrup, coconut sugar, agave and honey. Fruits will also add natural sweetness to your desserts without adding sugar.
2. Dairy Substitutes
Dairy products like egg yolks, butter and cream increase the saturated fat found in your desserts. Too much saturated fat can cause cholesterol to build up in your arteries and they also raise your LDL (bad) cholesterol. Substitute almond, soy or coconut milk for cow’s milk; Greek yogurt, pureed avocado or coconut oil for butter; and tofu or banana for egg yolk.
3. Dark Chocolate Instead of Milk Chocolate
Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and has even been shown to help lower blood pressure. If you’re going to be making a chocolate dessert, always use dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa for a low-calorie yet still delicious alternative!
15 Chocolate Low Calorie Mousse Recipes
1. Easy Healthy Chocolate Mousse | Broma
2. 3-Ingredient Chocolate Mousse | It’s Cheat Day Everyday
3. 150-Calorie Chocolate Mousse | Spark Recipes
4. Lighter Chocolate Mousse | Delicious Magazine
5. Vegan and Sugar Free Chocolate Mousse | Foodie Fiasco
6. Greek Yogurt Chocolate Mousse | Tori Avey
7. Light Chocolate Mousse | Taste
8. Keto Chocolate Mousse with Cocoa Powder | Healthy Recipes Blog
9. Avocado Chocolate Mousse | Chocolate Covered Katie
10. Low-Fat Chocolate Mousse | The Dairy Alliance
11. Low Carb, Low Fat High Protein Chocolate Mousse | Side Chef
12. Healthy Chocolate Mousse | Mom Foodie
13. Easy Sweet Potato Chocolate Mousse | The Banana Diaries
14. Strawberry Chocolate Mousse | Tasty
15. Keto Fluffy Chocolate Mousse | The Baking Chocolatess
15 Peanut Butter Low Calorie Mousse Recipes
1. Healthy Peanut Butter Mousse | All Recipes
2. Keto Peanut Butter Mousse | The Big Man’s World
3. Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse | Fit Foodie Finds
4. Sugar Free Vegan Peanut Butter Mousse | Desserts with Benefits
5. Keto Friendly Low Carb Peanut Butter Mousse | Simply So Healthy
6. Healthy 2-Ingredient Peanut Butter Mousse | My Kids Lick The Bowl
7. Keto Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Mousse | Beauty and the Foodie
8. Peanut Butter Keto Mousse | The Diet Chef
9. High Protein Low Carb Peanut Butter Protein Mousse | Spark Recipes
10. Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Mousse | Everyday Short Cuts
11. Peanut Butter and Banana Mousse | Live Love Nourish
12. Peanut Butter Coconut Mousse | Simple Fun Keto
13. 3-Ingredient Vegan Peanut Butter Mousse | Minimalist Baker
14. Low Calorie Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Mousse | Aubrey’s Kitchen
15. Easy Light Peanut Butter Mousse | Amee’s Savoury Dish
15 Fruity Low Calorie Mousse Recipes
1. Protein Fruit Mousse with Yogurt Drops | Fit Food Wizard
2. Super Easy Fruit Mousse | The Tough Cookie
3. Low Calorie Raspberry Mousse | Our Family World
4. Low-Fat Strawberry Mousse | Valerie’s Keepers
5. Tropical Mango Mousse | Eating Well
6. Passionfruit Protein Mousse | Real Healthy Recipes
7. Low Fat Strawberry Mousse (Egg and Dairy Free) | Gourmet Mum
8. Paleo Layered Fruit Mousse | The Fit Cookie
9. Low Fat Mango Chia Mousse | Farmersgirl Kitchen
10. Low Calorie Strawberry Mousse | Sweet Liza
11. Lightweight Mango and Passion Fruit Mousse | Good Housekeeping
12. Orange and Passionfruit Mousse | Under 500 Calories
13. Berry Tofu Mousse | SOS Cuisine
14. Quick & Easy Vegan Mango Mousse | Bianca Zapatka
15. Skinny Meyer Lemon Mousse | Sprinkle Bakes
15 Low Calorie Mousse Recipes for One
1. Sugar Free Keto Cheesecake Mousse | Low Carb Yum
2. Keto Chocolate Mocha Cheesecake Mousse | Easy Low Carb Life
3. Keto Raspberry Jello Mousse | Resolution Eats
4. Weight Watchers Pumpkin Mousse | This Mama Cooks
5. 2-Ingredient Low Calorie Chocolate Mousse | Good to Know
6. Low Fat White Chocolate Mousse | Taste of Home
7. Healthy Gingersnap Pumpkin Mousse | Liz’s Healthy Table
8. Extra Fluffy Keto Chocolate Mousse for One | Gnom Gnom
9. Skinny Chocolate Mocha Mousse | 2 Sisters Recipes
10. Guilt-Free Avocado Chocolate Mousse | Living Well Mom
11. Greek Yogurt Chocolate Mousse | Diabetes Food Hub
12. Healthy Mango Mousse | Weight Watchers
13. Light and Healthy Blueberry Lemon Mousse | Country Cleaver
14. Low Carb Strawberry Mousse | Simply So Healthy
15. Low Carb Vanilla Mousse | My Life Cookbook
Ready to get your mousse on? Try these delicious low calorie mousse recipes whether you’re making it for a group or dessert for one!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you love this round up of low calorie mousse recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more low calorie recipes? Make sure to follow our Food and Recipes Board on Pinterest!