Convenient, healthy and tasty, frozen shrimp recipes are perfect for weeknight dinners. Shrimp offer an impressive array of nutrients, as well as antioxidants that banish free radicals and reduce premature aging and disease. They’re high in protein and are also a rich source of selenium, a mineral known for the role it plays in immunity and thyroid function. If you’re looking for healthy, easy shrimp recipes to whip up on busy nights, we’ve rounded up our favourites just for you.
4 Tips for Cooking with Frozen Shrimp
1. Defrost Shrimp in a Bowl of Cold Water
While it’s possible to cook shrimp straight from the freezer, you’ll typically want to defrost frozen shrimp before cooking so the shrimp can cook evenly. Place frozen shrimp directly into a big bowl of cold water so they’re completely covered. Stay away from warm or hot water as extreme changes in temperature can mess with the texture of the shrimp and even partially cook it, which is not ideal. The thawing process can take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes, so it’s super quick and you can start prepping other parts of the meal as they thaw.
2. Pat Them Off with Paper Towel
Before cooking the shrimp, you want to remove as much excess moisture as you can from the shrimp so they can brown nicely without overcooking. Once the shrimp have thawed completely, place them on a sheet tray lined with paper towels. Lay a piece of paper towel over the shrimp and pat them dry as thoroughly as possible.
3. Don’t Overcook the Shrimp
Shrimp are easy to overcook (and undercook), and doing so jeopardizes the flavour and texture of the shrimp. Shrimp cook really quickly and although you can cook them on lower heat for a longer period of time, searing or sautéing shrimp on high heat for 3 to 4 minutes (1-2 minutes per side) makes them perfectly juicy and tender without any chewiness.
4. Cook Your Shrimp Evenly
For best results with your frozen shrimp recipes, consistency is key. Make sure all your shrimp are the same size and enter the pan at the same time. The shrimp should be spread out evenly in one layer without any shrimp lying on top of one another. When they’re spread out across the bottom of the pan, they’re all exposed to the heated surface of the pan and can cook evenly.
25 Easy Frozen Shrimp Recipes
1. Easy Shrimp Scampi | Spend with Pennies
2. Grilled Shrimp Tacos | A Couple Cooks
3. Cajun Hot Honey Butter Shrimp | Half Baked Harvest
4. Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice | Skinny Taste
5. Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry | Damn Delicious
6. Linguine with Shrimp and Lemon Oil | Food Network
7. Spanish Garlic Shrimp | All Recipes
8. Coconut Shrimp Curry | Jo Cooks
9. Better-Than-Takeout Shrimp Fried Rice | Avery Cooks
10. Mexican Grilled Shrimp Tostadas | Skinny Taste
11. Citrus Shrimp Salad | Food Network
12. Spicy Sambal Shrimp | All Recipes
13. Sheet Pan Shrimp Tacos | Wholesomelicious
14. Teriyaki Shrimp Stir Fry with Vegetables | Evolving Table
15. Garlic Butter Shrimp Zucchini Noodles | Damn Delicious
16. Singapore Noodle Curry Shrimp | All Recipes
17. Asian Shrimp Salad with Ginger Sesame Dressing | Eat Yourself Skinny
18. Instant Pot Honey Garlic Shrimp | Tip Buzz
19. Creamy Tomato Garlic Butter Shrimp | Cafe Delites
20. Healthy Shrimp Pad Thai | Well Plated
21. Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa | Once Upon a Chef
22. Shrimp Scampi | Foodie Crush
23. Bacon Shrimp Skewers | The Pioneer Woman
24. Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil | A Couple Cooks
25. Bang Bang Shrimp Pasta | Modern Proper
25 Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp Recipes
1. 10-Minute Air Fryer Shrimp | The Recipe Critic
2. Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Shrimp | All Recipes
3. Air Fryer Garlic Shrimp | Best Recipe Box
4. Crispy Air Fryer Shrimp | Spend With Pennies
5. Garlic Parmesan Air Fried Shrimp | Sweet C’s Designs
6. Air Fryer Bang Bang Panko Breaded Fried Shrimp | Stay Snatched
7. Air Fryer Hawaiian-Style Shrimp | Fit Slow Cooker Queen
8. Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos | Tasty Air Fryer Recipes
9. Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp | Feel Good Foodie
10. Air Fryer Honey Garlic Shrimp | Mommy Hates Cooking
11. Argentine Red Shrimp in the Air Fryer | Momma Fit Lyndsey
12. Keto Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp | Kimspired DIY
13. Air Fryer Shrimp, Zucchini and Peppers | Cooks Well With Others
14. Air Fryer Garlic Lime Shrimp Kebabs | Berry and Maple
15. Air Fryer Shrimp and Broccoli | Cooks Well With Others
16. Air Fryer Spicy Shrimp | Yummy Healthy Easy
17. Air Fryer Shrimp Fajitas | Little Sunny Kitchen
18. Air Fryer Fried Shrimp Sandwich with Tartar Sauce | Skinny Taste
19. Air Fryer Shrimp Cocktail | Tasty Air Fryer Recipes
20. Crispy Air Fryer Buffalo Shrimp | Diethood
21. Air Fryer Shrimp and Vegetables | Cookin’ with Mima
22. Air Fryer Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp | Finding Zest
23. Air Fryer Mexican Shrimp | Ahead of Thyme
24. Air Fried Salt and Pepper Shrimp | Two Sleevers
25. Air Fryer Popcorn Shrimp | Eating Well
Frozen shrimp is one of the most convenient foods to keep in your freezer for easy, healthy dinners. Whip up these recipes for delicious meals that are sure to please!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you enjoy this round up of healthy frozen shrimp recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more healthy recipes? Make sure to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!