Making homemade dog treats may seem intimidating, but it’s one of the best things you can do for your dog’s health. Don’t let your lack of baking skills deter you! Many dog treat recipes have minimal ingredients and are extremely easy to make. Most ingredients you’ll be able to find in your pantry already, and while some recipes require an oven, others are no bake or just need to be popped in the freezer. What your dog eats is essential to their health, and homemade dog treats are a great way to ensure they’re getting nutrients they need! Take a look at our favourite recipes below, plus why making homemade dog treats is so beneficial for your fur baby!
6 Benefits of Making Homemade Dog Treats
1. Higher Nutrient Value
Homemade dogs treats don’t have any preservatives or additives, so they’ll have a higher nutrient value than most store-bought treats. You get to decide what goes into your homemade dog treats so you can make the best decisions for your pup. Fill the treats with healthy ingredients that will keep their teeth and gums clean, enhance their eyesight and hearing, make their coat shiny and aid their digestive system.
2. Homemade is Healthier
Whether it’s dog food or human food, it will always be healthier if it’s homemade. Many dog treats are full of saturated fats and sugars, whereas with homemade treats the ingredients are controlled by you. With homemade treats, you can ensure your dog is eating less fat and sugar, making sure they have a healthier heart and don’t become obese or suffer from other illnesses.
3. They’re Cheaper
Making your own dog treats is also more affordable than buying them all the time. You can buy ingredients in bulk or use ingredients you already have in your fridge or pantry. With lots of options, from baked to frozen to no-bake dog treats, you have plenty of ways to make inexpensive healthy snacks for your fur baby!
4. You Can Customize Them
Dog treats are completely customizable to your pup’s dietary needs and preferences. You can work around any dietary issues to ensure the treats don’t upset your dog’s stomach. Tailor and adapt recipes to suit your dog, or come up with your own recipes that keep their needs and preferences top of mind! They’ll feel great and you can feel good knowing your homemade treats won’t make your dog sick.
5. They Taste Better
Anything homemade is typically tastier, and that goes for dog treats too! The fact that they’re made from common ingredients in your pantry will give them that delicious homemade taste. Just think about it – would you rather eat homemade cookies or store-bought cookies? Your dog feels the same!
6. Live Longer and Healthier
Feeding your dog a high-quality diet is so important, especially as they grow older. As dogs age, they become more susceptible to obesity and other age-related illnesses. Their food and treats should be low in carbs and sugars to help them live a long, happy life. Making homemade dog treats is the best way to ensure your treats are healthy. You know exactly what’s going in and can adapt any recipe to suit your dog!
10 Easy Homemade Dog Treats
1. Homemade Pumpkin Dog Treats | Fresh April Flours
2. 2-Ingredient Dog Biscuits | The Midnight Baker
3. Simple Dog Biscuits | The Blond Cook
4. Oatmeal Pumpkin Dog Treats | Pook’s Pantry
5. Healthy Homemade Dog Treats | Wholefully
6. Sweet Potato Dog Treats | Lola the Pitty
7. 3-Ingredient Chicken Dog Biscuits | The Midnight Baker
8. Yummy Gummy Bone Broth Treats | The Dog’s Life
9. Pumpkin Carrot Bites | Pawsitively Pets
10. Sweet Potato Banana Dog Biscuits | Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
10 Frozen Homemade Dog Treats
1. Easy Frozen Pup Pops | This Dog’s Life
2. Frozen Watermelon Dog Treats | Gone to the Snow Dogs
3. Pumpkin Blueberry Bacon Pupsicles | Daisy the French Bull Dog
4. Fruity Frosty Hearts | Talent Hounds
5. 3-Ingredient Frozen Dog Treats | Damn Delicious
6. Yogurt and Berries Dog Treats | Bigger Bolder Baking
7. 2-Ingredient Cantaloupe Ice Cream | Rover
8. Watermelon Carrot Pupsicles | Peel with Zeal
9. Frozen Mint Dog Treats | 12Tomatoes
10. Frozen Strawberry and Banana Smoothie Dog Treats | The Cottage Market
10 Peanut Butter Homemade Dog Treats
1. Peanut Butter, Banana and Flax Seed Dog Biscuits | Lola the Pitty
2. 4-Ingredient Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Treats | Baking for Friends
3. Peanut Butter Oatmeal Dog Biscuits | Dog Treat Kitchen
4. Peanut Butter Banana Treats | Three Little Ferns
5. Turmeric and Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits | Lola the Pitty
6. Peanut Butter and Bacon Dog Treats | Sally’s Baking Addiction
7. Peanut Butter Shortbread Cookies for Dogs | Rover
8. Peanut Butter and Honey Dog Treats | Jen Elizabeth’s Journals
9. Peanut Butter Coconut Oil Dog Treats | Golden Barrel
10. Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Dog Treats | Parsnips and Pastries
10 No Bake Homemade Dog Treats
1. No Bake Brody Balls | Fit Bottomed Girls
2. No Bake Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Dog Treats | Blue Jean Chef
3. 4-Ingredient No Bake Dog Treats | Delightful Mom Food
4. No Bake Peanut Butter Dog Treats | Damn Delicious
5. No Bake Pumpkin Dog Treats | Sizzling Eats
6. No Bake Peanut Butter and Oat Dog Treats | Cookpad
7. 3-Ingredient No Bake Dog Treats | Sunny Day Family
8. Sweet Potato, Peanut Butter and Oats No Bake Dog Treats | 17 Apart
9. Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Dog Balls | Peanut Butter and Peppers
10. No Bake Dog Treats with Pumpkins and Oats | Keyingredient
10 Soft Homemade Dog Treats
1. Banana Almond Puppy Treats | Pretty Fluffy
2. Pumpkin Spice Puppuccinos | Lola the Pitty
3. Salmon and Sweet Potato “Brownies” | Kol’s Notes
4. Soft Peanut Butter Carrot Dog Treats | Sally’s Baking Addiction
5. Soft Pumpkin Dog Treats | Pook’s Pantry
6. Soft Chew Dog Treats | Handmade Weekly
7. Chicken Wild Rice Dog Treats | Lola the Pitty
8. Homemade Soft Dog Treats | She Knows
9. Banana Bread Soft Chew Dog Treats | Proud Dog Mom
10. Carrot and Apple Sauce Chewies | Epicuricloud
Making your own dog treats is beneficial for so many reasons. Not only is it easy and affordable, it ensures your dog will live a happy, healthy life!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you love this round up of healthy homemade dog treats? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Want more awesome recipes? Make sure to follow our Food and Recipes Board on Pinterest!