Homemade ice cream sandwiches are a true nostalgia trip. A tasty reminder of childhood, they’re sweet, delicious and just the perfect amount of messy. You can use homemade or store bought cookies and ice cream, but we think homemade is always the way to go. That’s why we’ve rounded up 48 homemade ice cream sandwich recipes for your viewing (and baking) pleasure. Whether you’re making them for your small family or a big group, these ice cream sandwiches are sure to please this summer!
How to Make Ice Cream Sandwiches
1. Use Chewy Cookies
The best ice cream sandwiches use soft, chewy cookies. Once you take a bite, they should buckle gently instead of breaking – so be sure not to over bake them. This ensures your ice cream sandwich is easy to assemble and eat. Using cookies that are too hard will make it a not-so-enjoyable eating experience. Also make sure not to assemble your sandwiches until the cookies have completely cooled to avoid melty ice cream.
2. Treat The Ice Cream Right
Don’t try to squish the ice cream down with the cookies. There’s a better way to do it! Scoop big balls of ice cream (about 3 tablespoons per scoop) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover the cookies with more parchment paper, then gently flatten the balls. They should be about the diameter of the cookies. If the ice cream starts to melt, place the baking sheet into the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes to firm up. If the ice cream is too hard, allow it to soften at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before scooping.
3. Batch Bake
Instead of making individual cookies for your ice cream sandwiches, make two big cookies to cut into smaller cookies. Divide your cookie dough in half, pressing each into the bottom of prepared baking sheets. The dough should be thin and cover the bottom of the pan completely. After they’ve baked and cooled, place them in the freezer for 15 minutes. Remove and spread one sheet with soft ice cream and flip the other cookie gently onto the ice cream layer. Press down gently and remove the foil from the cookie on top. Freeze for at least 2 hours and then they’re ready to cut and eat!
4. Get Creative
Ice cream sandwiches are the best of all worlds for dessert lovers. Make your homemade editions your own by using your favourite cookies and ice creams together. You can also use waffles or brownies for the sandwich, or make an ice cream sandwich cake! The options are endless when it comes to these recipes! Get creative with toppings like sprinkles, M&Ms, crushed cookies and hot fudge to really make your ice cream sandwiches shine.
12 Homemade Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipes
1. Hot Fudge Caramel Ice Cream Sandwich Cake | All Recipes
2. Ice Cream Sandwich Cake with Crushed Oreos and Mini M&Ms | The Seasoned Mom
3. Ice Cream Sandwich Cake with Caramel, Hot Fudge and Whipped Cream | Brown Eyed Baker
4. Ice Cream Sandwich Cake with Chocolate Chips and Raspberries | Just a Taste
5. Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Topped with Ice Cream Cones | Sprinkle Bakes
6. Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake with Sprinkles | Real Housemoms
7. Ice Cream Sandwich Cake with Chocolate Chips and Toffee | Belly Full
8. Banana Split Ice Cream Sandwich Cake | Life In The Loft House
9. Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich Cake | The Food Network
10. Rainbow Sprinkle Ice Cream Sandwich Cake | The Spruce Eats
11. Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich Cake | My Organized Chaos
12. Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich Cake | Epicurious
12 Cookie Homemade Ice Cream Sandwich Recipes
1. Black and White Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches | How Sweet Eats
2. Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches | King Arthur Baking
3. Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches | Taste of Home
4. The Homemade Chipwich | If You Give a Blonde a Kitchen
5. Sugar Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich | A Cookie Named Desire
6. Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches | Food Network
7. Giant Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich | Tasty
8. Double Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches | Foodie Crush
9. Ginger Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches | Crosby’s
10. Rainbow Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches | Sally’s Baking Addiction
11. Banana Split Ice Cream Sandwiches | Simply Jillicious
12. Gluten-Free Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches | Flippin’ Delicious
12 Waffle Homemade Ice Cream Sandwich Recipes
1. Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches with The Works | Food.com
2. Belgian Waffle Ice Cream Sandwich | Cake n’ Knife
3. Toasted Waffle Ice Cream Sandwich | All Recipes
4. Churro Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches | Sunset
5. Spiced Cider Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches | The Inspired Home
6. Low Carb Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches | Inspector Gorgeous
7. Cookies & Cream Ice Cream Sandwiches | Wonder & Charm
8. Rainbow Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches | Country Living
9. Snickerdoodle Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches | Creme de la Crumb
10. Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches | The Little Vittles
11. Peppermint Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches | Tara Teaspoon
12. Waffle Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches | Hello Creative Family
12 Brownie Homemade Ice Cream Sandwich Recipes
1. Brownie and Chocolate Chip Gelato Ice Cream Sandwiches | Last Ingredient
2. Mocha Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches | Food Network
3. Rainbow Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches | Betty Crocker
4. Mint Chip Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches | Martha Stewart
5. Ultra Chocolately Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches | The Wood and Spoon
6. Chewy Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches | Crumb Blog
7. Gluten Free Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches | Gluten Free on a Shoestring
8. Roasted Strawberry Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches | Feasting on Fruit
9. Sheet Pan Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches | Cooking with Karli
10. Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches | Joy Food Sunshine
11. Gluten Free and Vegan Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches | Liv Vegan Strong
12. Rainbow Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches | You’re Gonna Bake It After All
These homemade ice cream sandwiches bring this tasty childhood treat up a notch. Make them for a weekday dessert or weekend gathering – they’re sure to impress!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you enjoy this round up of homemade ice cream sandwich recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more tasty recipes? Make sure to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!