Stuffed bell peppers are a healthy, easy dinner idea to enjoy any night of the week. While the classic recipe is made with rice and ground beef, there are plenty of creative versions you can make, bringing your own flavours and favourites to stuffed bell pepper recipes. If you’re trying to lose weight and stick to a healthy diet, stuffed bell peppers are a delicious way to stay on track!
Health Benefits of Bell Peppers
1. Boost Immunity
Bell peppers are rich in vitamin C. In fact, the amount of vitamin C in bell peppers increases with ripening. Vitamin C is known for its ability to boost the immune system with its powerful antioxidant properties. From helping fight the common cold to preventing damage to cells from free radicals, vitamin C is essential for good health.
2. Weight Loss
Bell peppers are a great weight loss food as they’re packed with essential nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants used to help you drop a few pounds. Bell peppers contain a compound called capsaicin that’s been found to increase the fat-burning rate and suppress appetite, which can aid with weight loss.
3. Natural Sleep Aid
Sleep is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. Bell peppers contain a good dose of vitamin B6, which aids in melatonin production- a hormone your body uses to regulate its internal clock. They also contain tryptophan, an amino acid used by your body in the production of serotonin, which is transformed into melatonin.
4. May Reduce Likelihood of Anemia
Anemia is a condition that affects the amount of oxygen in the blood and one of the most common causes is iron deficiency. Bell peppers contain a moderate amount of iron, but their high vitamin C content is what lends a helping hand. Vitamin C helps increase the absorption of iron in the gut and has been found to result in a greater iron intake. Bell peppers are also helpful since they’re high in vitamin B6, which is needed to make hemoglobin, the protein that carries oxygen to the blood.
5. Heart Health
Red bell peppers are particularly great for heart health as they’re full of lycopene. Lycopene has been found to reduce bad LDL cholesterol and increase good HDL cholesterol. They’re also a good source of cholesterol-lowering soluble fibre and antioxidant vitamins A and C, which are key for heart health.
Tips for Making Perfect Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipes
1. Use Halved Instead of Whole Peppers
Halved peppers are faster and easier to fill than whole peppers as they don’t have a huge cavity that needs to be filled. With halved peppers, the filling will also cook much fastener, plus they provide a cool presentation. When you cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, you don’t waste any of the pepper and they won’t topple over when you try to cut into them after they’re baked.
2. Pre-Cook Your Peppers
Pre-cooking your peppers is a great way to quick-start the cooking process and shorten the baking time, which is key for anyone who is short on time. Bell peppers can take around 45 minutes to bake, so cutting that down can really help. You can boil them on the stove, steam them in a preheated oven or microwave them for a few minutes until they’re slightly softened.
3. Get Creative With The Stuffing
One of the best things about stuffed bell peppers is that you can stuff them with pretty much anything! From taco-inspired stuffed peppers, to tofu-filled peppers to bell peppers stuffed with tuna, get creative with flavours to ensure you love your stuffed bell pepper recipes every time!
12 Easy Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipes
1. Easy Stuffed Peppers with Italian Sausage | Spend with Pennies
2. Stuffed Bell Peppers with Ground Beef and Wild Rice | Food Network
3. Stuffed Peppers with Ground Beef and Fontina Cheese | Foodie Crush
4. Classic Stuffed Peppers | Delish
5. Easy Stuffed Bell Peppers with Onions and Beef | The Stay at Home Chef
6. Italian Stuffed Peppers | Well Plated
7. Turkey-Stuffed Bell Peppers | Taste of Home
8. Easy Stuffed Peppers with Pesto and Tomato Rice | BBC Good Food
9. 5-Ingredient Easy Stuffed Peppers | Creme de la Crumb
10. Stuffed Bell Peppers Topped with Cheddar Jack Cheese | Healthy Fitness Meals
11. Sausage Stuffed Peppers | Sally’s Baking Addiction
12. Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers | The Recipe Critic
12 Healthy Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipes
1. Healthier Stuffed Peppers | All Recipes
2. Skinny Turkey Stuffed Peppers | Jo Cooks
3. Low Carb Mexican Stuffed Peppers | Healthy Seasonal Recipes
4. Keto Stuffed Peppers without Rice | Green and Keto
5. Salsa Verde Stuffed Peppers | Little Pine Kitchen
6. Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers | Damn Delicious
7. Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers | Cookie and Kate
8. Chicken Fajita Stuffed Peppers | Cooking Classy
9. Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers | Minimalist Baker
10. Southwest Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers | Tastes Better From Scratch
11. Beef and Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers | A Dash of Megnut
12. Tuna Melt Stuffed Bell Peppers | Feel Good Foodie
12 Vegan Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipes
1. Vegan Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa | Well Plated
2. Easy Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers | Ahead of Thyme
3. Italian Vegan Stuffed Peppers | The Simple Veganista
4. Tofu Scramble Stuffed Peppers | Create Mindfully
5. Vegan Ground Beef Stuffed Peppers | Two Spoons
6. Lentil and Couscous Stuffed Peppers | Cookie and Kate
7. Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with Smoked Tofu | Healthy Delicious
8. Vegetarian Mexican Inspired Stuffed Peppers | All Recipes
9. Greek-Style Vegan Stuffed Peppers | Avant Garde Vegan
10. Vegan Lentil Stuffed Peppers | Vibrant Plate
11. Vegan Stuffed Peppers with Cilantro Lime Crema | Plays Well With Butter
12. Vegan Salsa Stuffed Peppers | Stacey Homemaker
12 Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole Recipes
1. Stuffed Pepper Casserole | Well Plated
2. One Pot Stuffed Pepper Casserole | Family Fresh Meals
3. Meaty Stuffed Pepper Casserole | All Recipes
4. Dump and Bake Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole | The Seasoned Mom
5. Deconstructed Stuffed Pepper Casserole | Jo Cooks
6. Taco Stuffed Pepper Casserole | Spend with Pennies
7. Cheesy Stuffed Pepper Casserole | Mostly Homemade Mom
8. Mexican Unstuffed Pepper Casserole | My Food and Family
9. Cheesy Rice Stuffed Pepper Recipes | The Typical Mom
10. Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper Casserole | Happy Veggie Kitchen
11. Keto Stuffed Pepper Casserole | Hip2Keto
12. Stuffed Pepper Explosion Casserole | Who Needs a Cape?
Stuffed bell peppers are an easy and healthy meal to make and will keep you on track to your weight loss goals!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you enjoy this round up of stuffed bell pepper recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more easy, healthy recipes? Make sure to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!