The taste of coconut water has the power to transport you to the tropics. Its natural sweetness makes the food you cook with it even more delicious.
One of the most versatile ingredients in your kitchen, you can put it in smoothies, desserts, or even salad dressings to add a dash of summer to anything you make.
Best of all, coconut water has many nutritional benefits, making it ideal for anyone who wants to get and stay healthy.
We’re here to help you get started with 32 hydrating and healthy coconut water recipes along with tips on how to make your own coconut water at home!
What Is Coconut Water?
Coconut water is found inside of immature coconuts. Also known as buko juice, it has a slightly grayish color. Both cooling and refreshing, coconut water is a tasty drink on a hot day. It’s also a delicious ingredient to add to your favorite recipes. Popular in Southeast Asia for centuries, this fruit juice has become widely popular in Western culture because of its health benefits.
What Are the Health Benefits of Coconut Water?
- Low in Calories – Coconut water has about 48 calories per cup (200ml). This makes it perfect for those who are searching for a healthier drink option.
- High in Vitamin C – Vitamin C not only helps to support your immune system, but it’s also essential for keeping your skin healthy.
- Hydrating – Coconut water is naturally high in electrolytes as well as sodium, potassium, and manganese, which help to rehydrate the body. This makes it a great substitute for sugary sports drinks.
- Low in Carbohydrates – If you’re searching for a low-carb drink option, coconut water is a great choice. One cup contains only 8 grams of healthy carbohydrates.
- Great for Your Heart – Drinking coconut water may help you regulate your blood pressure. The calcium and potassium it contains can lower your cholesterol and keep your heart healthy.
- Good for Diabetics – With a glycemic index of 3, coconut water is a healthy drink option for anyone managing diabetes.
- Helps to Detox – A glass of coconut water provides your body with the hydration and electrolytes it needs. As a result, it helps to detox your system by eliminating toxins that have built up in your body.
How to Make Your Own Coconut Water
Store shelves are full of bottled coconut water brands, making it convenient to just grab and go. However, buying pre-made coconut water means you may be getting some unwanted additives, not to mention the impact all that packaging has on the environment.
Making your own coconut water at home is easier than you think. Check out these 6 tips to ensure every glass you make is healthy and delicious.
- Keep it fresh – After you’ve purchased a coconut, make sure to use it within a few days to ensure the water inside is fresh. Once you’ve opened the coconut, it will stay fresh in your refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- Just two ingredients – All you need to make your own coconut water is two ingredients – a coconut and 2 cups of filtered water.
- Crack it open – Once you’ve cracked open the coconut, remove the fibrous, brown casing using a small sharp knife. Then cut the remaining white part, called the coconut meat, into two-inch pieces. You can learn how to safely crack open a coconut here.
- Blend it – Take ½ cup of cut up coconut meat and place it in a blender along with 2 cups of filtered water and blend away! If you want a stronger flavor, simply add a little more coconut meat.
- Make it sweet – You can sweeten your coconut water naturally by adding 2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup.
- Replace your water – Once you’ve made your own coconut water, you can replace any water in your recipes in a 1:1 ratio.
32 Coconut Water Recipes
- Coconut Water Lemonade | Rasa Malaysia
- Strawberry Coconut Water Lemonade | Iowa Girl Eats
- Fruity Coconut Water Ice Cubes | Goya
- Quick Coconut & Chia Seed Pudding | The Healthy Foodie
- Avocado and Coconut Salad Dressing | Green Evi
- Coconut Water Kefir | Hello Glow
- Coconut With with Lemon and Mint | Food NDTV
- Fruity Coconut Water Slushes | Dessert for Two
- Coconut Water Rice | Allrecipes
- Orange and Coconut Water Refresher | Healthy Nibbles
- Yellow Vege Curry | Healthy Food Guide
- Coconut Water Cherry & Chocolate Smoothie | Everyday Eileen
- Green Coconut Water Curry | Scaling Back
- Lime Watermelon Coconut Water | Wicked Spatula
- Chocolate Chip Coconut Water Cookies | Be Well With Arielle
- Carmel-Braised Chicken with Ginger and Lime | Milk Street
- Creamy Coconut Pudding | Detoxinista
- Vietnamese Pork and Crab Soup | SBS
- Acai Bowl | Yummly
- Easy Detox Smoothie | Eating by Elaine
- Nature’s Cereal | This Healthy Table
- Vibrant Turmeric Coconut Rice | Food52
- Coconut Water Smoothie with Mango, Banana, & Strawberries | Food Network
- Coconut Water Iced Coffee | Gimme Some Oven
- Tropical Fruit Salad with Honey Coconut Water Dressing | Recipe for Perfection
- Coconut Water and Pineapple Ices | Boulder Locavore
- Lemon Coconut Water Vinaigrette | Casual Claire
- Coconut Water Granita | Martha Stewart
- Classic Coconut Cake | Kitchn
- Braised Chicken in Coconut Water | Crafty for Home
- Vegan Coconut-Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies | Yummly
- Rainbow Party Pops | Healthy Food Guide
These 32 coconut water recipes will help you add a taste of summer any time of year.
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved these healthy coconut water recipes, please share them on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more health tips, please follow our Health board!