Protein ice cream has taken over grocery store shelves and become a popular, healthy alternative to the traditional ice cream we know and love. Packed with protein, the frozen treat is helpful in muscle recovery and overall health. However, those small ice cream containers come with a hefty price tag. Enter homemade protein ice cream recipes you can make from the comfort of your kitchen. They’re just as healthy, if not more, since you control what goes into them. Take a look at our favourite recipes to make for a guilt-free treat!
What is “Protein Ice Cream”?
Protein ice cream is a healthy, low calorie ice cream alternative that tastes like your favourite frosty dessert, but is high in protein and offers other health benefits. It’s super easy to make at home, with only a few ingredients required. Most recipes use protein powder, a milk base (dairy or dairy free), frozen bananas and maybe a few additional ingredients. Making homemade protein ice cream puts you in control of the ingredients, allowing you to customize for flavour preferences and food sensitivities. Protein ice cream is significantly lower in calories than traditional ice cream, containing less than half the amount of the average ice cream. If you’re conscious about weight management, protein ice cream is a great guilt-free treat to substitute for your favourite high calorie sweets.
What Kind of Protein Powder Should I Use?
Using a whey + casein blend protein powder will make your ice cream thick and creamy. You can make it with whey protein powder alone, but the casein is what gives it the indulgent texture. You can also use a protein powder with collagen peptides if you’re looking to enhance your hair, skin, nails and joints. If you’re vegan or dairy-free, opt for a plant-based protein powder, such as the Orgain Organic Protein Powder made with pea, brown rice and chia seeds.
How to Make Homemade Protein Ice Cream
1. Start with a Milk Base
You’ll need a milk base for your protein ice cream recipes. Many protein ice cream recipes are actually dairy-free and call for almond milk, cashew milk or coconut milk as their base. Full fat coconut milk will give your ice cream an ultra creamy and smooth texture. It helps make your protein ice cream scoopable so you can enjoy it like the real thing.
2. Frozen Bananas
Frozen bananas are often used in protein ice cream recipes. They become creamy when frozen and blended and add a natural sweetness to your dish. They make an awesome healthy ice cream base and banana mixes well with so many other flavours.
3. Add Your Protein
Now, you’ll want to add your protein powder of choice. You can use flavoured protein powder if you wish, to enhance a specific flavour, such as chocolate or vanilla. Protein powder is what gives protein ice cream its added health benefits. It helps you stay full and satisfied for longer, enhances your immune system and is beneficial for heart, brain and skin function. It also enhances muscle growth and repair, so is ideal as a pre or post-workout snack.
4. Customize Flavour
The great thing about making homemade protein ice cream is that you can completely customize it to your flavour preferences. Whether you like vanilla, chocolate, peppermint, cookies and cream or strawberry, you can make the perfect ice cream for you. Plus you can add other fruits and berries to add the taste and health benefits.
5. Combine All Ingredients in a Food Processor
If using frozen bananas, immediately add them to the food processor once you take them out of the freezer. The ice cream won’t work if the bananas aren’t frozen, so this is key. Add the other ingredients and blend until smooth. You may need to scrape the sides a couple of times before you ice cream is ready.
6. Add Texture
If you want to add texture to your protein ice cream, top it with chocolate chunks, nuts, coconut flakes, sprinkles, fruit pieces, or any other toppings you desire. You can never go wrong giving your ice cream an extra bit of crunch!
10 Easy Homemade Protein Ice Cream Recipes
1. Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Ice Cream | Secretly Healthy Home
2. Peppermint Protein Ice Cream | Oxygen Mag
3. Chocolate & Vanilla Protein Ice Cream | The Protein Chef
4. Chocolate Banana Protein Ice Cream | Jennifer Meyering
5. 30-Second Protein Ice Cream | My Protein
6. Banana Berry Protein Ice Cream | Protein Pow
7. Healthy Vanilla Protein Ice Cream | Desserts with Benefits
8. Apricot Protein Ice Cream | Protein Pow
9. Banana Protein Ice Cream | Healthy Substitute
10. Banana Almond Protein Ice Cream | Protein Pow
10 Dairy Free Homemade Protein Ice Cream Recipes
1. Vegan Vanilla Protein Ice Cream | The Big Man’s World
2. Chocolate Banana Protein Ice Cream | Fit Foodie Finds
3. Dairy Free Ice Cream (2 Ways) | Eating Bird Food
4. Chocolate Dairy Free Protein Ice Cream | Fitnessista
5. Turmeric Pina Colada Protein Ice Cream | Mipstick
6. Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Protein Ice Cream | Nutritionist Reviews
7. Keto Chocolate Protein Ice Cream | Wholesome Yum
8. Chocolate Chip Banana Protein Ice Cream | Veggie Balance
9. Cookies and Cream Protein Ice Cream | Healthy Fitness Meals
10. Protein Packed Strawberry Ice Cream | Mugs for Muscles
10 Vegan Homemade Protein Ice Cream Recipes
1. Vegan Chinky Monkey Protein Ice Cream | The Baking Fairy
2. Banana Cashew Protein Powder | Protein Pow
3. Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Ice Cream | Secretly Healthy Home
4. 3-Ingredient Vegan Protein Ice Cream | Healthy Helper
5. Vegan Strawberry Protein Ice Cream | Alt Protein
6. Vegan Banana Protein Ice Cream | VegFAQs
7. Chunky Monkey Protein Ice Cream | Bites of Wellness
8. Coconut Chocolate Protein Ice Cream | Happy Way
9. 3-Ingredient Healthy Vegan Protein Ice Cream | The Daily Meal
10. Vegan Turmeric Protein Ice Cream | Eat or Drink
Protein ice cream has changed the dessert game, offering a healthy alternative to everyone’s favourite cold and decadent treat. Try out these homemade recipes for a protein-rich spin on traditional ice cream.
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you enjoy this round up of homemade protein ice cream recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more healthy recipes? Make sure to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!