When it comes to baking cakes, flour is the key ingredient that makes them fluffy and adds structure. But flour contains gluten, and for those with a gluten intolerance, a traditional cake is out of the question. The solution? Flourless cakes!
Gluten free diets have been popular for quite some time, but you don’t have to be gluten free to fall in love with these dense and indulgent cakes. You also don’t have to sacrifice on the flavor – they’re filled with fruits, nuts, spices, and chocolate. We’ve gathered 22 of the best homemade flourless cake recipes that are worth every bite.
7 Tips for Baking Flourless Cakes
- Prep your pan – A denser cake can be more difficult to remove from the pan. That’s why pan prep is so important. Spray with nonstick cooking spray then line with parchment paper to prevent sticking and make it easier to take out. You can also grease the bottom of a springform pan before lining with parchment paper.
- Be gentle with your batter – Be sure not to mix your cake batter longer than the recipe instructs. Doing so will add extra air that could make your cake collapse as it cools. It’s also important to not let your batter sit around for too long. After mixing, place your batter in the pan and bake right away.
- Properly whip your egg whites – Eggs whites are whipped into stiff peaks and folded into your other ingredients. They are essential because they help to bind your cake together. You want to gently fold them in to give your cake some lift, make your cake stable, and allow for easy slicing.
- Make it smooth – To achieve a smooth and even cake you only need to follow two steps. Start by smoothing out the top with a spatula then shake or tap lightly until the batter is evenly spread out.
- Don’t over-bake – Because flourless cakes don’t rise as much as a classic cake, it’s easy to assume that they’re not fully baked. However, they need the full baking time to get rid of any extra moisture. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a gummy texture.
- Let it cool – Place your cake on a wire rack and let it cool completely. This is important when it comes to adding toppings to your cake such as whipped cream, frosting, glaze, ganache, or powdered sugar. It will also allow for ease of cutting.
- Store it right – If you happen to have any cake leftover, you’ll want to store it properly. Cover and place in your refrigerator for up to four days. If you cake it topped with fruit, be sure to remove it first so your cake doesn’t get soggy.
22 Best Homemade Flourless Cake Recipes
- Flourless Chocolate Cake | Two Peas & Their Pod – A true classic, silky chocolate ganache tops this dense flourless chocolate cake.
- Flourless Pumpkin Spice Cake | The View from Great Island – The perfect mix of pumpkin cake and pumpkin pie is a luxurious treat.
- Flourless Olive Oil Chocolate Cake | Butternut Bakery – Olive oil makes this cake feel savory, while bittersweet chocolate gives it a rich flavor.
- Flourless Lemon Almond Cake | Simply Recipes – Almond flour is combined with tart lemon to create a surprisingly airy cake.
- Flourless Walnut Cake with Fresh Figs | The View from Great Island – Walnuts give this cake a unique texture and flavor and the figs make it feel truly special.
- Flourless Chocolate Cake with Mocha Whipped Cream | Sally’s Baking Recipes – Rich and chocolatey, it’s like eating fudge with a fork.
- Whole Orange Cake | Recipe Tin Eats – Using the entire orange gives this orange cake a blast of citrus flavor.
- Turkish Coffee Flourless Chocolate Cake | Coley Cooks – Coffee enhances the chocolate flavor for a unique twist on the basic flourless cake.
- Flourless Banana Cake | The Recipe Critic – A baked treat that feels healthy and indulgent at the same time.
- Tahini and Chocolate Flourless Cake with Honey Whipped Cream | Chef Sous Chef – This simple but elegant cake has hints of toasted sesame and honey.
- Flourless Chocolate Pecan Cake | Veena Azmanov – Ground pecans give light and airy cake a full, rich flavor.
- Apricot Hazelnut Meringue Cake | Delia Online – The meringue is crispy and chewy while the apricots are tender and sweet.
- Peppermint Flourless Chocolate Cake | Two Peas & Their Pod – Crushed peppermint makes the perfect finished touch to this delicious holiday dessert.
- Pear and Almond Cake | A Baking Journey – If you’re craving warm, fall flavors, you’ll want to bake up this pear and almond cake.
- Flourless Molten Chocolate Lava Cake | Flippin’ Delicious – A molten chocolate lava center makes this cake extra special.
- Flourless Black Forest Cake | Faithfully Gluten Free – Positively sinful, this cake combines chocolate cake with cherry pie filling and whipped cream.
- Flourless Chocolate Roulade | Emily Leary – Extremely light, and flour free, this cake is not missing any of the chocolate flavor.
- Flourless Coconut Cake | The View from Great Island – Dense and decadent, this pound cake is simple but delicious.
- Flourless Vanilla Cake | Foods Guy – This fabulous flourless vanilla cake is sweet and creamy with classic vanilla flavor.
- Chocolate and Almond Flourless Cake | Food52 – Also known as Torta Caprese, this Italian cake is fudgy and moist and bakes up perfectly.
- Flourless Chocolate Meringue Cake | Buttermilk by Sam – Chewy, marshmallowy meringue is fluffy and crispy, nestled on top of a rich, flourless cake.
- Flourless Lemon Cake | Sugar Salt Magic – Bright lemon flavor and almond meal come together for a naturally gluten-free cake.
These decadent homemade flourless cake recipes are a must-try.
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved this list of homemade flourless cake recipes, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more delicious recipes, please follow our Food board!