When you think of soup, the image that most likely comes to mind is a steaming bowl of comforting warmth. However, there is a whole other realm of culinary delight that awaits you in the form of cold soups.
Cold soups are refreshing, vibrant, and perfect for those sweltering summer days when you crave something light and cool. We’re exploring the fascinating world of cold soups and sharing a list of our favorite refreshing cold soup recipes for summer.
What Is “Cold Soup”?
Cold soup, as the name suggests, is a type of soup that is served chilled or at room temperature. It’s a refreshing departure from traditional hot soups, as it offers a cool and invigorating culinary experience.
Cold soups are typically made by blending or pureeing ingredients together and often feature fresh produce, such as vegetables, fruits, or herbs. The flavors of cold soups can range from tangy and zesty to smooth and creamy, making them a versatile and delightful option for any meal.
What Types of Soups Are Served Cold
Gazpacho – Originating from the southern regions of Spain, gazpacho is a classic cold soup that has gained international fame. Made primarily with ripe tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, onions, garlic, olive oil, and a touch of vinegar, gazpacho is the epitome of refreshing summer flavors. It’s typically served with diced vegetables or croutons on top, adding a delightful texture to the soup.
Vichyssoise – Hailing from French cuisine, vichyssoise is a smooth and velvety cold soup made with leeks, potatoes, cream, and vegetable broth. The soup is pureed to a silky consistency and often garnished with chopped chives. Vichyssoise is a luxurious treat that is equally enjoyable as an elegant starter or a light lunch option.
Borscht – Originating from Eastern Europe, borscht is a cold soup that embraces the vibrant flavors of beets. It typically includes beets, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, onions, and sometimes meat or mushrooms. Borscht can be served both hot and cold, and the chilled version is often accompanied by a dollop of sour cream, which beautifully balances the earthy sweetness of the beets.
Ajoblanco – Ajoblanco is a Spanish cold soup that originates from Andalusia. It features a unique combination of almonds, garlic, bread, olive oil, and vinegar, creating a creamy and slightly tangy flavor profile. Ajoblanco is traditionally served with grapes or melon, providing a contrast of textures and flavors.
10 Tips for Making Cold Soup
- Choose fresh and seasonal ingredients – Since cold soups rely heavily on the flavor and quality of the ingredients, opt for fresh and ripe produce to ensure a vibrant and tasty result.
- Allow flavors to meld – Cold soups often taste even better when left to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. This allows the flavors to meld together and develop a more complex taste.
- Use a blender or food processor – To achieve a smooth and velvety texture, use a blender or food processor to puree the ingredients. This will ensure a consistent texture and a satisfying mouthfeel.
- Adjust consistency and seasoning – Cold soups can be thick or thin, depending on your preference. Adjust the consistency by adding more liquid (such as broth, water, or juice) or using less to achieve your desired thickness. Don’t forget to season with salt, pepper, and other spices to enhance the flavors.
- Experiment with flavors and textures – Cold soups provide an opportunity to get creative with flavors. Consider incorporating different herbs, spices, or even a hint of citrus zest to add a refreshing twist. You can also play with textures by adding toppings like diced vegetables, croutons, or a drizzle of flavored oil to enhance the overall experience.
- Chill thoroughly – Cold soups are best enjoyed when properly chilled. Allow your soup to cool in the refrigerator for at least a couple of hours before serving. If you’re short on time, you can speed up the chilling process by placing the soup in an ice bath.
- Garnish with flair – Elevate the visual appeal of your cold soup by garnishing it. Fresh herbs, a sprinkle of paprika, a swirl of yogurt, or a drizzle of high-quality olive oil can transform a simple bowl of soup into an exquisite masterpiece.
- Serve in chilled bowls or glasses – Enhance the coolness of your cold soup by serving it in chilled bowls or glasses. This ensures that every spoonful remains refreshingly cool, even on the hottest days.
- Pair with complementary flavors – Consider pairing your cold soup with other dishes or accompaniments that complement its flavors. For example, gazpacho pairs well with grilled shrimp or crusty bread, while vichyssoise goes beautifully with a side salad or a selection of artisanal cheeses.
- Don’t be afraid to innovate – Cold soups offer a canvas for culinary experimentation. Feel free to modify recipes, swap ingredients, and add your own personal touch. Let your creativity run wild and discover unique flavor combinations that bring joy to your taste buds.
20 Refreshing Cold Soup Recipes
- Chilled Creamy Tomato Basil Soup | Once Upon a Chef
- Chilled Greek Yogurt Soup | Tori Avey
- Vegan Cold Pear Soup | This Healthy Kitchen
- Basil Zucchini Soup | Love and Lemons
- Chilled Watercress Yogurt Soup | The Spruce Eats
- Classic Borscht Recipe | Natasha’s Kitchen
- Carrot Ginger Soup | Bowl of Delicious
- Cold Cucumber Soup | Veggie Inspired
- The Ultimate Gazpacho | Cookies and Kate
- Chilled Blueberry Soup | Lemon Tree Dwelling
- Chilled Peach Soup | Jennifer’s Kitchen
- Chilled Avocado Soup | Recipe Girl
- Watermelon Gazpacho Soup | The Spruce Eats
- Chilled Roasted Red Pepper Soup | Once Upon a Chef
- Potato and Leek Vichyssoise | The Spruce Eats
- Chilled Green Pea Soup | Bowl Me Over
- Cream of Asparagus Soup | Delish
- Fruity Cold Pineapple Soup | Fearless Dining
- Spanish Ajoblanco | Happy Foods Tube
- Cold Tomato Summer Vegetable Soup | Simply Recipes
Cold soups are a fun departure from the traditional hot soup experience, whether you’re savoring a bowl of refreshing gazpacho on a sunny afternoon or indulging in a silky vichyssoise as an elegant starter. Try one of these refreshing cold soup recipes for summer to create your own chilled masterpiece!
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved this list of refreshing cold soup recipes for summer, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more tasty summer recipes, please follow our Food board!