Soup – it’s like a cozy hug in a bowl. It warms your heart and your stomach. But let’s be real, sometimes it feels like a fleeting embrace, leaving you hungry an hour later.
Fear not! We’ve embarked on a search for high-protein soups that not only tantalize your taste buds but also keep you feeling full and satisfied. Join us as we share our favorite high protein soup recipes that will revolutionize your winter meals.
15 Soup Making Tips and Hacks
- Start With a Solid Base – Use homemade stock whenever possible for a rich and flavorful base. If you don’t have homemade stock, be sure to choose a high-quality store-bought option.
- Layer Flavors – Add ingredients in layers, allowing each one to impart its flavor to the soup. Start with aromatics, then add herbs and spices, followed by proteins and vegetables.
- Fresh Herbs vs. Dried Herbs – Use fresh herbs towards the end of cooking for a burst of fresh flavor. Dried herbs can be added earlier in the cooking process.
- Toast Spices – Toasting ground spices in a dry pan before adding them to the soup can enhance their flavor. Just be careful not to burn them.
- Bundle Your Herbs – Bundle herbs like thyme, bay leaves, and parsley in a cheesecloth and tie it with kitchen twine. This makes it easy to remove them after cooking.
- Don’t Forget Umami – Enhance the savory depth of your soup with ingredients like soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, or miso paste.
- Add Acid – A squeeze of lemon juice or a splash of vinegar can brighten up the flavors of your soup. Add it towards the end of cooking for a fresh taste.
- Optimal Vegetable Size – Cut vegetables into uniform sizes for even cooking. Root vegetables may require slightly larger cuts than softer vegetables.
- Utilize Leftovers – Soup is an excellent way to use leftovers. Cooked meats, vegetables, and even grains can find a second life in a pot of soup.
- Control Thickness – Adjust the thickness of your soup by adding more liquid if it’s too thick or simmering uncovered to reduce it if it’s too thin.
- Use Pasta Water – If you’re adding pasta to your soup, reserve some pasta water. The starch in the water can help thicken the soup and improve its texture.
- Finish with Fresh Ingredients – Stir in fresh ingredients like chopped herbs, spinach, or grated parmesan just before serving for a burst of color and freshness.
- Let it Rest – Allow the soup to sit for a while before serving. Many soups taste even better the next day as the flavors have had time to meld.
- Use a Slow Cooker or Instant Pot – Letting soup simmer for an extended period enhances flavors. Slow cookers and Instant Pots are convenient tools for achieving this.
- Garnish Creatively – Elevate the visual appeal and flavor of your soup with creative garnishes like croutons, a dollop of yogurt, fresh herbs, or a drizzle of flavored oil.
12 Ways to Add Protein to Soup
- The Broth Base Boost – The secret to a flavorful soup lies in its broth. Swap out your regular broth for a protein-rich alternative like bone broth or vegetable broth with added protein powder. This powerhouse combo not only enhances the taste but also cranks up the protein content, making your soup a filling feast.
- Lean on Legumes – Legumes are your hearty allies in the quest for a protein-packed soup. Beans, lentils, and chickpeas aren’t just economical, they’re also rich in protein and fiber. Throw them into your simmering pot, and watch your soup transform into a substantial meal that will keep you full for hours.
- Power-Packed Pasta – Opt for protein-packed pasta varieties like chickpea or lentil pasta. Not only do they add a delightful twist to your soup, but they also amp up the protein content, turning your bowl into a filling, comforting delight.
- Greek Yogurt Swirl – Bid farewell to traditional cream and embrace the tangy goodness of Greek yogurt. A dollop of this protein-packed delight not only adds a creamy texture but also boosts your soup’s protein quotient. Plus, it’s a guilt-free way to indulge in some dairy goodness.
- Nutty Business – Go nuts with your soup by adding a handful of chopped nuts like almonds, walnuts, or cashews. Not only do they contribute a satisfying crunch, but they also introduce a dose of healthy fats and protein.
- Sneaky Veggies – Vegetables aren’t just for show. They’re high in protein too! Incorporate veggies like spinach, broccoli, and peas for an extra protein punch. Not only will they make your soup more colorful, but they’ll also keep you satiated and nourished.
- Mighty Meats – Kick up the protein content by adding lean meats like chicken, turkey, or lean beef. These protein powerhouses not only infuse your soup with savory goodness but also help to build muscle.
- Delicious Seafood – Dive into the ocean of possibilities by adding seafood to your soup. Shrimp, salmon, and other fish varieties not only contribute protein but also bring a unique flavor profile that elevates your soup to gourmet status.
- Egg-cellent Addition – Don’t underestimate the humble egg! Poached, boiled, or even dropped in for a quick swirl – eggs are a versatile protein source that effortlessly amps up the protein content of your soup while adding a velvety texture.
- Terrific Tofu – For our plant-based pals, tofu is the unsung hero. Dice it, crumble it, or turn it into tofu cubes. This soy-based wonder soaks up the flavors of your soup while providing a substantial protein boost.
- Quinoa Queen – Upgrade your soup with a superfood twist – quinoa. This tiny grain packs a protein punch and adds a delightful texture to your soup. Plus, it’s gluten-free and a complete protein source, making it a winner for all diets.
- Cheese Please – Cheese lovers, rejoice! Sprinkle some grated cheese on top of your soup for an instant protein boost. Opt for varieties like parmesan or feta for that extra kick of flavor.
10 High Protein Soup Recipes
- The Ultimate Cozy High Protein Lentil Soup | Nourished by Nic
- High Protein Creamy Taco Soup | Kinda Healthy Recipes
- Easy Crack Chicken Noodle Soup | Insanely Good Recipes
- High-Protein Chickpea Chicken Soup | Her Highness Hungry Me
- Spiced Carrot and Red Lentil Soup | Hurry the Food Up
- Instant Pot Pho | Damn Delicious
- High Protein Broccoli Cheddar Soup | I Heart Vegetables
- High Protein Minestrone Soup | Nutritionist Mom
- High Protein Chicken Noodle Soup | Cooked by Julie
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Ricotta Parmesan Matzo Balls | Little Ferraro Kitchen
10 Vegan High Protein Soup Recipes
- Vegan Lentil Tortilla Soup | Eat With Clarity
- Creamy Vegetable Soup | Dishing Out Health
- Hidden Vegetable Creamy Tomato Soup | Nourishing Amy
- Mediterranean White Bean Soup | Feel Good Foodie
- Iraqi Lentil Soup | Nadia’s Healthy Kitchen
- Chickpea Noodle Soup Recipe | The Herbeevore
- Vegan Black Bean Soup | Loving It Vegan
- Italian White Bean Soup | Power Hungry
- Creamy Corn Soup Recipe | Abbie’s Kitchen
- High Protein Vegan Lasagna Soup | May I Have That Recipe?
Remember, soup making is an art, and you can always experiment with ingredients and techniques to create your own signature dishes. Start with these high protein soup recipes and savor the results!
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved this list of high protein soup recipes, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more tasty and healthy recipes, please follow our Food board!