Did you know that candle making has been shown to improve your mental health? The simple act of melting and pouring the wax can be very soothing. Plus, there are so many opportunities to be creative.
Learning how to make candles can seem like a daunting task, but with the right tools (and plenty of practice!), you can be a pro in no time!
Get started with candle making with our list of 10 step-by-step candle making tutorials for beginners.
7 Candle Making Essentials to Invest In
Before you get started, you’ll want to invest in these 7 candle making essentials.
- Heat gun – Using a heat gun can help with uneven edges or bubbles on top of your candles. Always start on the lowest setting and move it in a circular motion. A heat gun can be your best friend when you’re trying to achieve the smoothest surface possible.
- Big pitcher – You can find large pitchers designed just for candle making that hold up to four pounds of wax and allow for fast and easy pouring as well as cleaning.
- Double boiler – A double boiler is the perfect way to melt your wax. It will help to melt it slowly so you don’t burn the wax and can easily monitor the temperature.
- Food thermometer – Using a food thermometer throughout the process will help ensure you always have the right temperature. It will help you to know when to add the fragrance and when to pour your wax.
- Stirring spoon – When stirring the wax, you’ll want to have the right kind of spoon. Wooden spoons or silicone spoons are your best choice.
- Kitchen scale – A kitchen scale is a handy tool when it comes to candle making because it will allow you to have accurate measurements of all your ingredients.
- Parchment paper – Using parchment paper will help to protect the surfaces in your kitchen. It will also help to make clean up a breeze.
4 Candle Making Tips for Beginners
We’ve gathered some easy-to-remember tips to help you go from beginner to pro!
- Take notes – If you take notes as you go, you’ll see better results, sooner. Writing down what you do step-by-step will help you determine what works and what doesn’t and will help you achieve the same results every time. Note the type and amount of each supply you use. You’ll also want to take note of temperature: room temperature, melt temperature of the wax, the temperature of the wax when you added fragrance, and the temperature of the wax when you poured it.
- Stick to a recipe – As a beginner, you’ll up your chances of success by sticking to a standard recipe. Over time, it will all become muscle memory, but to start out you’ll want to follow a recipe to ensure you have the right measurements and temperature points.
- Test your fragrance – A little fragrance goes a long way. You’ll want to make sure to test your fragrance percentages and experiment to find the right ratio and fragrance throw when your wax is cold and hot. Cold throw is how much fragrance your candle has when it’s not lit. Hot throw is the amount of fragrance when the wick is lit.
- Practice patience – Candle making is an art form and requires a lot of patience. Each step of the process takes time. Even when your candle is done, you’ll still need to allow time for it to cure. You’ll also want to test your candles in different seasons to see how they perform in the cooler and warmer months.
10 Step-By-Step Candle Making Tutorials for Beginners
YouTube is your friend when it comes to learning how to make candles. These 10 step-by-step candle making tutorials for beginners are a great place to start.
How To Make Soy Candles DIY Candle Making Tutorial | Pro Candle Supply
This video gets straight to the point and makes the whole process feel easy. You will learn step-by-step how to make a soy candle that is strong and burns perfectly.
Candle Making Tutorial | Sunshine Soap & Candle Company
This simple and comprehensive tutorial makes it easy, even for beginners. Plus, you’ll get links to all of the ingredients and supplies used in the video.
How to Make Scented Candles | Standley Handcrafted
Get started making your own scented candles with this introductory tutorial. Learn how to choose the right wax, wicks, and jars as well as tips that will help you have more confidence in your candle-making skills.
A Beginners Guide to Making a Candle | Cosy Owl
This easy beginner’s tutorial gets you started making candles at home. The video is short and sweet and hits just the points you need to know without any confusing extra steps.
How to Make a Candle | HowToMakeCandles
This video is designed to make candle making both easy and fun. You’ll get clear and concise explanations and simple-to-follow instructions along with some unique ideas.
How to Make Soy Wax Candles | Bramble Berry
A candle-making expert takes you through the steps to make your own soy wax candle. You’ll learn how to choose the best products and how to troubleshoot any problems you may have.
Candle Making Tips for Beginners | LadyCIMMONE Candle Co.
If the thought of candle making leaves you feeling overwhelmed, this video is perfect for you. Start your candle making journey with tips, tricks, tools, and supplies.
Making Candles at Home | Clayton Candle Co.
In the beginning, you need someone to help you figure out where to start. Make your first batch of soy candles with a teacher that shares all her wisdom, from prep all the way to pouring.f
How to Make Soy Candles at Home | Timber Ridge Gifts
This video is made for beginners who want to learn how to make a soy candle. Links are offered throughout the video offering more tips and in-depth explanations to get you on your way!
Candle Making for Beginners | Sophie Hannah
Not only is this video easy to follow, but you’ll also get detailed steps that are made for beginners. Learn how to prep the molds, melt and pour the wax, and how to finish your candles.
Now you’ve got the tips and tools to get started on your candle-making adventure!
This post contains affiliate links.
If you loved these candle making tutorials for beginners, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more kids activities, please follow our Kids Activities board!