My daughter has been in an amazing day camp that has been filled with swimming, sports, arts and crafts, science experiments, drama, karate, and a whole slew of other fabulous activities she would never get to experience if she were at home with me all day during the summer months (did you see how I talked myself out of ‘mom guilt’ there?!), and the camp organizers have done a fabulous job of incorporating special theme days each week. Some are simple – pink day, pajama day, whacky Wednesday, etc. – but others take a bit more preparation on the part of the parents.
Like Halloween in July.
I remember feeling equal parts excited and terrified when I started contemplating costume ideas mid-July, but since Pinterest RARELY fails me when I’m struggling with something related to beauty, health, or parenting, I decided to plug the words “DIY Halloween Costumes For Kids” into my Pinterest search bar, and I was AMAZED at how many cheap and easy no-sew costumes flashed before my eyes.
Of course, my daughter wouldn’t entertain all of the unique ideas I came up with, like cotton candy, mac n’ cheese, and an adorable jellyfish, and decided she wanted to be Lachy from The Wiggles instead, but with Halloween looming in the not-so-distant future, I decided to gather together all of the ideas I found anyway in hopes she’ll warm up to one of them before October 31.
I’m about 110% sure I’ll still have to shell out a small fortunate for this Shimmer and Shine costume we saw on Amazon last week, but a mom can dream, right?
1. Princess Leia (Buggy and Buddy)
2. Snail (Oh Happy Day)
3. Rosie the Riveter (Little Ballroom)
4. Rainbow Bird (Hello Wonderful)
5. Parrot (Make It Love It)
6. Circus Lion (Style Me Pretty)
7. Baby Gumball Machine (Costume Works)
8. Unicorn (Craftaholics Anonymous)
9. Mac N’ Cheese (Costume Works)
10. Raggedy Ann (Pretty Little Life)
11. Carl from Up (My Modern Met)
12. Cotton Candy (Hello Wonderful)
13. Little Red Riding Hood (Stitched By Crystal)
14. Mary Poppins (Hey Ambular)
15. Jet Pack Costume (Costume Works)
16. Pacman (The Effortless Chic)
17. Ratatouille Family Costume (The House of Cornwall)
18. Scuba Divers (Delineate Your Dwelling)
19. Rainbow (A Subtle Revelry)
20. Jellyfish (Style Me Pretty)
This post contains affiliate links.
If you liked this collection of DIY Halloween costumes for kids, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more parenting tips and tricks, please follow our Parenting board where we share all kinds of great advice!