When I think of the ultimate in comfort foods, I think about the things my mom made really, really well. Beef stroganoff, breakfast muffins, any kind of pie you can imagine…
But nothing could beat her apple crisp. Called “crumble” by some…the best part about apple crisp is that typically all the ingredients are right there, in your pantry (or fridge). And it isn’t complicated like so many other desserts are.
I’ve added my own spin to my mom’s typical (yet delicious) apple crisp. This one has raspberries, which is the perfect tart compliment to the sweetness of the apples. And this one is gluten-free, because it is JUST as delicious as a normal one, but with so many gluten sensitivities these days, it is nice to have such a tasty option. If you don’t have a gluten issue, feel free to use regular oats.
Frozen fruit works here, as well. It’s also fairly low in sugar — not typical to traditional crisps.
- 6 cups apples, sliced (about 4-6 apples)
- 1 heaping cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- ¼ cup coconut sugar or raw sugar
- 2 Tbsp + ½ cup ground GF oat flour (separated) -- easy to make yourself
- 2 tsp + ½ tsp cinnamon (separated)
- ½ cup whole GF oats
- ¼ - ⅓ cup brown sugar
- pinch or two of sea salt
- ¼ cup cold butter, cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine sliced apples, coconut sugar, 2 Tbsp oat flour, 2 tsp cinnamon. Add to a casserole-type dish or baking pan. Gently fold in the raspberries.
- Combine ½ cup oat flour, ½ tsp cinnamon, whole oats, brown sugar and salt. Add cold butter and cut into the oat combination, with your fingers or a pastry cutter, until it resembles breadcrumbs. Sprinkle this mixture into the casserole dish, on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake for 55 minutes, or until you see bubbling.
- Let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with ice cream, table cream, whipping cream or a coconut version of them.
If you enjoyed this gluten-free apple crisp recipe, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more delicious desserts to try, please follow our Gluttony board where we share all kinds of great ideas!