It was unseasonable warm in Toronto last Saturday, with the temperatures soaring to the 12 degree mark (that’s about 53 degrees for our friends south of the border), and even though the cold, snowy weather has returned, the brief reprieve did wonders for my mood. I keep thinking of all of the amazing things we have to look forward to once spring hits, and I can barely contain my excitement at it all.
Afternoon trips to the park.
Late night strolls with my husband.
Saturday mornings at the splash pad.
The wonderful sound of the ice cream truck…
I could go on and on.
But one thing that excites me more than anything is the beginning of barbeque season. I like nothing more than sharing a glass of white on the deck with friends on sunny afternoons while our kids play in the yard and our husbands grill burgers and dogs. There’s just something so carefree and magical about it all, and since this will be the first summer we have a house of our own, I’m determine to make it count.
So I’ve been on the hunt for some new and delicious recipes to try, and recently stumbled upon this protein-packed Blue Cheese Buffalo Burger recipe in my friend Audrey Johns’ new book, Lose Weight by Eating.
I was initially going to skip over this one as I’ve never cooked with buffalo meat, but after discovering it tastes almost exactly like beef, but with more protein, iron, and B12 and less calories and fat, I knew I had to put it on my ‘must try’ list, and couldn’t resist sharing the recipe with all of you as I know it’s going to be a favorite in our household this summer!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for the grill
- 1 pound all-natural ground buffalo Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup Chunky Blue Cheese Dip (page 108 of Lose Weight by Eating Cookbook)
- 4 whole wheat buns
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ red onion, sliced into thin rings
- Spicy brown mustard (optional)
- Heat a grill to high heat and brush the grill grates with olive oil. (Alternatively, heat a grill pan over high heat and spray it with olive oil.)
- Make four patties from the meat. Push your thumb into the center and create a little dimple on both sides. This will help the burger cook more evenly and keep a flat patty shape. Gently sprinkle the patties with salt and pepper.
- Grill the burgers for 7 to 10 minutes, flipping once. Transfer the burgers to a large plate and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- To assemble the burgers, spread some Chunky Blue Cheese Dip on the bottom of each
- bun, lay on some spinach and onions, and top with a burger patty. Spread some mustard, if using, on the top buns and place them on the burgers.
Audrey likes to serve this burger with her Asparagus “Fries” (featured on page 171 of her cookbook). The 2 combined come to only 311 calories (!!!), leaving you with enough calories to indulge in her Strawberry Banana Shake (featured on page 236 of her cookbook).
Don’t forget to pick up your own copy of Audrey’s new book, Lose Weight by Eating, which features more than 130 clean eating recipes. Audrey is a popular blogger who lost 150 pounds in eleven months, and Lose Weight by Eating is all about giving your favorite foods a delicious, healthy makeover so you can eat what you love most and still lose weight.
Order your copy today – you will not be disappointed!
This post contains affiliate links.
If you enjoyed this Protein-Packed Blue Cheese Buffalo Burger recipe, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more delicious recipes to add to your weekly rotation, please follow our Food board where we share all kinds of great ideas!