Funfetti cake, also known as birthday cake or confetti cake, is a Pillsbury grocery-store staple that’s made its way into pretty much every household. Loved for being both fun and delicious, the vanilla sprinkle cake is a go-to for anyone who wants a simple cake that brings them joy. While it started as a cake box mix, it’s easy to make yourself at home and turns out even better with some homemade love! The popularity of funfetti cake has brought about the creation of many funfetti recipes for every occasion. Take a look at our favourites below.
What is Funfetti?
The original funfetti is a buttery vanilla layer cake that’s filled with rainbow sprinkles and topped with sweet vanilla frosting. It’s the quintessential store bought cake-in-a-box, but you can also make delicious homemade versions yourself. The popularity of funfetti has led to fun and creative funfetti variations, with people making everything from funfetti milkshakes to funfetti donuts and even funfetti grilled cheese sandwiches. It has become one of the most versatile styles and flavours to bake with as it’s super fun and delicious!
5 Tips for Making Funfetti Cake Mix
1. Always Use Milk and Butter
The fat in milk and butter will help make your cake mix super moist and give it an amazing flavour. These two ingredients are essential to a delicious, fluffy cake, which is a key characteristic of funfetti cake mix. You can also use buttermilk to give the cake a moist texture.
2. Don’t Use Nonpareils
Nonpareils are the tiny multi coloured sprinkles that are often used to decorate desserts. It’s best to stay away from these while making funfetti cake as they’ll bleed their colour as you fold them in, resulting in a pink/grayish batter that’s the opposite of appetizing. Rainbow sprinkles (jummies) or confetti quins are the way to go!
3. Become a Layering Pro
Funfetti cake is typically a layer cake, so getting your layering skills down is key. Three layers is perfect for a great funfetti cake! Consider chilling your layers in the freezer for 20 minutes before assembling to make it easier to stack and frost. Make sure to set your bottom layer onto your cake plate bottom down, so you have a nice, flat base. Spread ½ cup of your frosting on top of the first layer, then place the second layer on top of the frosting (this time top down so the flat bottom is facing up).
Repeat with another ½ cup of frosting. Place the final layer on top, again with the flat bottom facing up. Add your final layer of frosting on top and feel free to add sprinkles or other toppings to make it your own!
4. Don’t Over Mix the Batter
Mix your cake batter just until the ingredients are incorporated. This will help ensure your cake layers are tender and fluffy. Over mixing can result in a more dense, chewy texture, which is the opposite of what you want for funfetti cake. Stop mixing as soon as you can’t see the ingredient that was just added for a cake that’s perfectly fluffed.
5. Frost Your Cake with Homemade Buttercream
Once you’ve made your delicious homemade funfetti cake, frost it with homemade buttercream. It’s so easy to whip up, and nothing compares to it. It only takes a few simple ingredients, including butter, powdered sugar and heavy cream and it will make a world of a difference for your cake!
10 Homemade Funfetti Cake Mix Recipes
1. Funfetti Cake From Scratch | Sugar Spun Run
2. Easy Homemade Sprinkle Cake | Sally’s Baking Addiction
3. Perfect Birthday Cake | Delish
4. Funfetti Cake Recipe | Life Made Simple
5. Homemade Sprinkles Cake Mix | I Am Baker
6. Homemade Funfetti Cake (+ Funfetti Frosting) | Averie Cooks
7. Moist Homemade Funfetti Cake | Life, Love and Sugar
8. Small Batch Funfetti Cake | Humming Bird High
9. Funfetti Cake | Preppy Kitchen
10. Easy Funfetti Sheet Cake | Boston Girl Bakes
45 Funfetti Recipes For Every Occasion
1. Funfetti Birthday Cake Batter Blondies | An Edible Mosaic
2. Funfetti Cookie Bars | Chelsea’s Messy Apron
3. Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls | Love From The Oven
4. Funfetti Pudding Pops | Rachel Cooks
5. Funfetti Oreo Cheesecake Bars | Mom on Timeout
6. Funfetti Pancakes | Yummy Healthy Easy
7. Skinny Funfetti Cake Batter Granola Bars | Amy’s Healthy Baking
8. Funfetti Blondies | Lil’ Luna
9. Funfetti Baked Donuts | Life Cravings
10. Funfetti Milkshake | Simple Joy
11. Funfetti Cookie Fudge Bars | Crazy For Crust
12. Funfetti Sugar Cookies | Cloudy Kitchen
13. Pink Funfetti Pound Cake | The Kitchen Is My Playground
14. Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes | Life, Love and Sugar
15. Funfetti Skillet Cookie for Two | Beyond Frosting
16. Funfetti Sandwich Cookies | Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
17. Funfetti Cake Batter Pretzel Bites | The Domestic Rebel
18. Funfetti Popcorn | Cooking Classy
19. Birthday Cake Cannolis | The Domestic Rebel
20. Funfetti Whoopie Pies | House of Nash Eats
21. Funfetti Cheesecake Brownies | Spicy Ice Cream
22. Funfetti Rice Krispie Treats | The Spruce Eats
23. Angel Food Funfetti Cake | Love and Risotto
24. Funfetti Cake Batter Waffles | Club Crafted
25. Funfetti Biscotti | The Spruce Eats
26. Soft-Baked Brown Butter Funfetti Cookies | All Star Baking
27. Funfetti Fudge | Studio DIY
28. Slumber Party Funfetti Cupcakes | Moms and Munchkins
29. Funfetti Grilled Cheese Sandwich | The Spruce Eats
30. Funfetti Checkerboard Cake | Sally’s Baking Addiction
31. Funfetti White Chocolate Cookies | Jelly Toast
32. Funfetti Macarons | Pies and Tacos
33. Funfetti Cake Batter Muddy Buddies | Simple Joy
34. Glazed Confetti Rolls | Averie Cooks
35. Funfetti Cake Batter Wedding Cookies | Crazy For Crust
36. Funfetti Truffles | Sarah’s Bake Studio
37. Funfetti Cake Batter Dip | Dinner Then Dessert
38. Raspberry Funfetti Scones | Beyond Frosting
39. Funfetti Cake Batter Popsicles | A Cozy Kitchen
40. Funfetti White Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats | Joy Oliver
41. Funfetti Sugar Cookie Cake | Sally’s Baking Addiction
42. Funfetti Snack Cake with Raspberry Buttercream | Cloudy Kitchen
43. Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches | Olive and Artisan
44. Funfetti Puppy Chow | Homemade Hooplah
45. Milk Bar Birthday Layer Cake | Sheri Silver
If you’re a funfetti fan, you’re going to absolutely love these recipes. Whether you need to whip up something fun for a birthday, bbq or brunch, these funfetti recipes won’t let you down!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you love this round up of funfetti recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more delicious recipes? Make sure to follow our Food and Recipes Board on Pinterest!