A coffee shop-type drink you can make at home, whipped coffee is all anyone’s talking about when it comes to caffeine these days. Both aesthetically pleasing and easy to make, this delicious drink is made with just three ingredients that you probably already have in your cupboard. Popularized by the social media platform TikTok, the whipped coffee craze is making waves all around the world. Check out 25 whipped coffee recipes you can make at home!
What is Whipped Coffee?
Whipped coffee, also called Dalgona coffee, is a creamy two-toned coffee drink made by whipping instant coffee with sugar and water. The result is a butterscotch-hued foam that you spoon over milk. It recently went viral on TikTok, becoming one of the biggest social media movements the coffee world has seen in a while.
The whipped coffee trend started in South Korea, but soon became popular in North America as well. And while it may be a new “trend” gaining popularity, whipped coffee itself is nothing new, and many have been making it at home for years. In India, they have what’s called Beaten coffee, and in Greece it’s known as the frappé, which is a frothier version of whipped coffee. There are also versions that are shaken with egg whites and served with condensed milk.
How to Make Whipped Coffee at Home in 4 Steps
Step 1: Combine 2 tablespoons granulated instant coffee, ½ tablespoon sugar, and 2 tablespoons water in a medium-sized bowl.
Step 2: Whip either by hand or with an electric mixer until it turns from foamy to frothy to creamy. You’ll know it’s done when you’ve formed peaks on the whisk.
Step 3: Fill a glass with milk and ice. (Note: If you want a hot drink, use warm milk instead).
Step 4: Spoon the fluffy, creamy mixture over the milk and combine!
Tips for Making Whipped Coffee
1. Make Sure to Use Hot Water
While cold or room temperature water will work for whipped coffee, hot water will give you the best results. It works faster and whips up nicer, giving you that aesthetically pleasing coffee shop look we’re all trying to achieve.
2. An Electronic Mixer Will Help
Whisking your whipped coffee by hand is doable, but it will go a lot faster if you use an electric mixer. Not only do your hands get tired after whisking for a few minutes, a mixer is much faster, and still takes about fives minutes. Give your arm a rest and let the mixer do the work!
3. Make Sure to Use Instant Coffee
You may be wondering if you can use ground coffee instead of instant coffee, but the answer is unfortunately, no. Regular ground coffee needs to be brewed before it becomes drinkable, so you have to use instant coffee for whipped coffee.
4. Use a Bowl, Not a Mug or Jar
While sometimes it’s okay to mix things in any type of vessel, whipped coffee should only be made in a bowl (before you pour it into your glass of milk). Whipped coffee becomes fluffy and whipped through the mixture interacting with the air, and a mug or jar won’t allow enough air to circulate around.
5. Mix Before Drinking
It may be tempting to drink your whipped coffee as is after you pour the mixture onto the milk – it just looks so pretty! But, make sure to mix it with a spoon or straw before drinking it. This way you’ll fully incorporate the flavour and have the most delicious drink!
6. A Word on Sugar
Whipped coffee works best with granulated sugar, and there are different types of granulated sugar you can use – white sugar, brown sugar, cane sugar, coconut sugar and raw sugar. You can use as much or as little sugar as you like in your whipped coffee. You can use up to two tablespoons or skip the sugar altogether, and you can also use a sugar substitute such as Stevia, just keep in mind it won’t lighten or fluff up as much.
7. Get Creative
Whipped coffee is a basic recipe with three ingredients, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get creative! Feel free to use dairy substitutes like soy or almond milk and add in additions such as cinnamon, caramel and chocolate! However you like your whipped coffee, there’s a recipe for you!
25 Whipped Coffee Recipes We Love
1. Whipped Coffee (Dalgona Coffee) | Jessica in the Kitchen
2. Vanilla Whipped Coffee | The Spruce Eats
3. Whipped Coffee with Cocoa Powder | Host the Toast
4. Maple Syrup Whipped Coffee | Healthy Fitness Meals
5. Whipped Coffee with Chocolate Syrup | Three Little Ferns
6. Whipped Coffee with Cinnamon and Vanilla | Laura in the Kitchen
7. Almond Milk Whipped Coffee | Plant You
8. Frothy Whipped Coffee White Russian | Half Baked Harvest
9. Whipped Coffee with Cashew Milk and Cocoa Powder | Okonomi Kitchen
10. Boozy Whipped Coffee | My Recipes
11. Healthier Whipped Coffee | Eating Bird Food
12. Dairy-Free Whipped Coffee | The Real Food RDs
13. Coconut Sugar Dalgona Coffee | Darn Good Veggies
14. Vegan Whipped Coffee | Eating Well
15. Iced Coconut Whipped Coffee | KJ and Company
16. Paleo Whipped Coffee | Primal Kitchen
17. Banana Coconut Latte with Whipped Coffee | Jillian Harris
18. Sugar-Free Whipped Coffee | Sugar-Free Mom
19. Keto Style Whipped Coffee | Healthy Little Peach
20. Whipped Coffee Mochaccino | Eating Well
21. Herbal Dalgona Coffee | All the Nourishing Things
22. Whipped Coffee Cocktail | Simply Healthy Vegan
23. Caramel Whipped Coffee | Now Cook This
24. Cinnamon Roll Whipped Coffee | Jen Around the World
25. French Lavender Whipped Coffee | Allie Marie Travels
Ready to caffeinate and conquer? These recipes will have you whipping up whipped coffee every single day!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you love our round-up of whipped coffee recipes? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
If you want more easy and delicious recipes, please make sure to follow our Food board on Pinterest!