Nothing says it’s party time quite like jello shots. An instant crowd pleaser, jello shots are easy to make and fun to do, with a good dose of alcohol to get the party started! Whether you’re a fan of the classic jello shot made with vodka, or you’re on the hunt for something a little more creative, there are plenty of jello shot recipes perfect for any type of party. From sour patch jello shots to s’mores jello shots, birthday cake jello shots, and more, there’s something for every celebration and tastebud!
What Are Jello Shots?
Jello shots are a Jell-O and alcohol mixture that’s semi-solid and consumed as a shot. The classic jello shot is made with Jell-O (a mix of water and gelatin) and vodka and is likely reminiscent of your favourite college parties.
However, they’ve more recently had a glow up, being served at dinner parties and holiday parties alike, made with a variety of alcohols, from champagne to chardonnay to bourbon and Baileys. Plus, there are fun flavoured varieties, such as cotton candy, pumpkin spiced latte, cherry cola and bacon bourbon apple. Whatever flavour or alcohol you fancy, there’s a jello shot for you! They’re a fun and easy treat that bring a dose of college nostalgia to any party.
How to Make Jello Shots
The best jello shots have the perfect balance of alcohol, jello and flavour. Make your jello shots too weak, and your guests will basically be shooting a cup of sugar down their throats, but make them too strong and they’ll be cringing from the intense alcohol taste.
Generally, a basic batch of jello shots is made with one cup of boiling water, one packet of Jell-o or gelatin, a half cup of cold water and a half cup of alcohol. Mix it all together and separate into shot glasses, then place them in the fridge. The standard jello shot takes around two hours to set in the fridge, but it depends on how much alcohol you put in the mix. If you put too much alcohol into your jello shot, then it won’t set. When refrigerated, jello shots are good for up to one week.
Here are the instructions for how to make classic jello shots:
1. Boil 1 cup of water on the stove.
2. Pour a 3-ounce box of Jell-o or gelatin mix into a mixing bowl, then pour the boiling water over it and whisk until jello is completely dissolved.
3. Add ½ cup of water and ½ cup of vodka (or alcohol of choice), to the mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
4. Place 2-ounce plastic cups on a baking sheet without the lids, and pour the mixture into the shot cups.
5. Chill in fridge until set, about 2 hours.
If you’re looking to make more creative jello shots, you’ll need recipes for those! And good news – we’ve done the work for you, rounding up our favourite jello shot recipes, from mint julep jello shots to watermelon mojito jello shots, apple pie jello shots and so many more!
50 Jello Shot Recipes
1. Pink Starburst Jello Shots | Wow, It’s Veggie?
2. Margarita Jello Shots | Delish
3. Chardonnay Jello Shots | Punchfork
4. Pumpkin Spice Latte Jello Shots | Cooking with Janica
5. Oreo Jello Shots | Spoon University
6. Pink Lemonade Jello Shots | Delish
7. Sangria Jello Shots | Sugar and Soul
8. Long Island Iced Tea Jello Shots | 5* Trending Recipes With Videos
9. Tequila Sunrise Jello Shots | Tipsy Bartender
10. Butterscotch Apple Cider Jello Shots | Delish
11. Caramel Apple Jello Shots | Dine Dream Discover
12. Peanut Butter Whiskey Jello Shots | Trop Rockin
13. Eggnog Jello Shots | Delish
14. Champagne Jello Shots | Sugar and Soul
15. Sour Patch Jello Shots | Punchfork
16. Orange Dreamsicle Jello Shots | The Blond Cook
17. Blue Hawaiian Jello Shots | Belly Full
18. Negroni Jello Shots | Delish
19. Watermelon Sour Patch Jello Shots | Tipsy Bartender
20. Fireball Cherry Jello Shots | From House to Home
21. Cotton Candy Jello Shots | Simplistically Living
22. Candy Corn Jello Shots | Hoosier Homemade
23. S’mores Jello Shots | Punchfork
24. Bourbon Apple Cider Jello Shots | Feast and West
25. Cherry Chola Jello Shots | Erica’s Sweet Tooth
26. Watermelon Mojito Jello Shots | Key Ingredient
27. Mint Julep Jello Shots | Wide Open Eats
28. Bacon Bourbon Apple Jello Shots | Bead Booze Bacon
29. Baileys Irish Cream Jello Shots | A Spicy Perspective
30. Birthday Cake Jello Shots | A Beautiful Mess
31. Pecan Pie Jello Shots | Tablespoon
32. Root Beer Float Jello Shots | Crafty Morning
33. Pina Colada Jello Shots | Bread Booze Bacon
34. Strawberry Margarita Jello Shots | Happiness is Homemade
35. Moscow Mule Jello Shots | Domesticate Me
36. Pineapple Upside Down Jello Shots | Kitchen Fun With My Three Sons
37. Pretty Pink Champagne Jello Shots | From House to Home
38. Apple Pie Jello Shots | My Incredible Recipes
39. Glow in the Dark Jello Shots | Homemade Hooplah
40. Strawberry Jello Shots with Pop Rocks | Kitchen Fun With My Three Sons
41. Grasshopper Jello Shots | Bead Booze Bacon
42. Candy Cane Jello Shots | Kitchen Fun With My Three Sons
43. Pineapple Punch Jello Shots | My Mini Adventurer
44. Sugar-Free Rummy Bear Jello Shots | Aspiring Winos
45. Peach Fizz Jello Shots | Bread Booze Bacon
46. French 75 Jelly Shots | Jelly Shot Test Kitchen
47. Cranberry Jello Shots | Delish
48. Samoa Jello Shots | Autumn Makes and Does
49. Vegan Chocolate Cherry Jello Shots | Namely Marly
50. Valentine’s Strawberry Jello Shots | Sweetest Kitchen
Ready to get the party started? These jello shot recipes are perfect for any type of soirée!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you love this round up of jello shot recipes to get the party started? We’d love it if you shared this post on Pinterest!
Looking for more fun and easy recipes? Make sure to follow our Food Board on Pinterest!