There’s something so comforting about freshly made cornbread coming out of the oven. The sweet aroma wafting through the kitchen and buttery soft interior is something that’s tough to beat. Whether you love classic cornbread or prefer to add a few ingredients to enhance the flavour and texture, we’ve rounded up our favourite cornbread recipes and upgrades to elevate your meals. From cheddar and bacon cornbread muffins to chilli cornbread casseroles and gluten-free options, take a look at how to upgrade your cornbread game in the kitchen!
How to Make Cornbread: The Basics
Baking the perfect cornbread is super simple and only takes a few easy steps:
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F then grease a 9-inch round cake pan or cast iron skillet. Set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, add 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup cornmeal, ⅔ cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder. Whisk together until combined.
3. Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and add 1 cup of neutral oil such as vegetable oil or melted butter, 1 large egg and 1 cup of milk. Stir just until the mixture comes together and it’s just a little lumpy.
4. Add any extra ingredients to enhance the flavour and texture of your cornbread, such as honey, fruits, cheese, bacon or jalapeño peppers.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the top is a deep golden brown. Insert a toothpick into the centre and if it comes out clean you’re good to go!
Tips and Hacks to Elevate Your Cornbread Recipes
1. Add Extra Corn
A great way to enhance the flavour of your cornbread is to add extra corn. The best cornbread recipes are the ones that actually taste like corn, so add 1 cup of fresh corn kernels or 1 can of creamed corn into the batter along with 1 additional egg.
2. Cheese It Up
Cheesy cornbread is absolutely delicious. To layer in savoury flavour and richness, fold in ¾ cup of shredded sharp cheddar to your cornbread batter. In addition to cheese, you can also add chives, jalapeños or thyme for flavour combinations that work super well together.
3. Make It Spicy
Can you take the heat? If you like your food spicy, amp up your cornbread recipes with roasted chopped jalapeños, crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne. You can also mix in 3 tablespoons of your favourite chilli paste.
4. Add Some Meat
If you want to add some flavour and protein to your cornbread recipes, bacon, breakfast sausage and even pulled pork will bring your cornbread to the next level. Cornbread muffins and casseroles can both handle the addition of meat, so add it in to your heart’s desire.
5. Enhance the Sweetness
There are plenty of ways to add some sweetness to your cornbread. You can add honey, jams, oranges, peaches, light brown sugar, and berries like blueberries and blackberries. You can also sprinkle the top of the batter with a little raw sugar to give your cornbread some crunch. Other options for adding some sweetness are ground cinnamon, pumpkin purée, and nutmeg.
6. Add Some Tang
If you love tanginess, one of the easiest ways to enhance the flavour of cornbread is to add ⅓ cup of sour cream to the batter. This will make your cornbread extra moist and a little tangy. You can also add 2/3 cup of buttermilk, which also makes it super tender.
15 Muffin Cornbread Recipes
1. Honey Cornbread Muffins | Food Network
2. The Best Cornbread Muffins | Once Upon a Chef
3. Basic Corn Muffins | All Recipes
4. Easy Homemade Southern Cornbread Muffins | Pinch Me, I’m Eating
5. Fluffy Bakery-Style Cornbread Muffins | Peas and Crayons
6. Sweet Cornbread Muffins | Southern Bite
7. Cheddar Scallion Cornbread Muffins | Anna Olson
8. Easy Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins | The Stay at Home Chef
9. Blueberry Cornbread Muffins | Baking Sense
10. Honey Butter Cornbread Muffins | Delish
11. Extra-Corny Cornbread Muffins | Bon Appetit
12. Pulled Pork-Stuffed Cornbread Muffins | Tasty
13. Maple Cornbread Muffins | Love and Lemons
14. Bacon Peanut Butter Cornbread Muffins | Taste of Home
15. Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins | Sally’s Baking Recipes
15 Casserole Cornbread Recipes
1. Ultimate Cornbread Casserole | Five Heart Home
2. Sweet Cream Corned Casserole | The Food Charlatan
3. Cowboy Cornbread Casserole | Smart School House
4. Mexican Cornbread Casserole | This is Not Diet Food
5. Beefy Cornbread Casserole | Diary of a Recipe Collector
6. Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole | Amanda’s Cookin’
7. Easy Tex Mex Cornbread Casserole | Nums the Word
8. Leftover Cornbread Breakfast Bake | Best Recipe Box
9. Chilli Cornbread Casserole | Belle of The Kitchen
10. BBQ Beef and Cornbread Casserole | Pillsybury
11. Easy Cornbread Taco Bake | The Country Cook
12. Veggie Chilli Cornbread Casserole | Tasty
13. Layered Cornbread Casserole | Martha Stewart
14. Creamy, Cheesy Cornbread Casserole | All Things Mama
15. Cornbread and Country Ham Casserole | Recipe Centre
15 Gluten-Free Cornbread Recipes
1. Old Fashioned GLuten-Free Cornbread | Gluten-Free on a Shoe String
2. Gluten-Free Honey Cornbread | Flippin’ Delicious
3. Sour Cream Gluten Free Corn Bread | Land O Lakes
4. Gluten-Free Skillet Cornbread | From Scratch Fast
5. Easy, Moist Gluten-Free Cornbread | The Delicious Spoon
6. Gluten-Free Cornbread with Honey | 40 Aprons
7. Dairy and Gluten-Free Cornbread | A Little Insanity
8. One Bowl Gluten-Free Southern Cornbread | All The Nourishing Things
9. Vegan Gluten-Free Cornbread | Delightful Adventures
10. Gluten-Free Cornbread Muffins | Mountain Berry Eats
11. Gluten-Free Rosemary Cornbread | Dish by Dish
12. Gluten-Free Maple Cornbread | One Lovely Life
13. Gluten-Free Chilli Cornbread | BBC Good Food
14. Vegan Buttermilk Gluten-Free Cornbread | Our Plant Based World
15. Gluten-Free Coconut Oil Cornbread | Make the Best of Everything
Ready to up your cornbread game? These tips and recipes are sure to put you in high standing with your family and/or guests!
This post contains affiliate links.
Did you enjoy our post on cornbread recipes? We’d love it if you shared it on Pinterest!
Looking for more delicious recipes? Make sure to follow our Food & Recipes Board on Pinterest!