Sometimes simple is best. This is when you get to taste the most flavour from each and every ingredient. And get to discover subtle combinations that work beautifully together. That’s definitely the case when it comes to this broccoli salad with avocado.
Sometimes it’s not easy finding something exciting to do with broccoli. It’s terrific roasted, and commonly stir-fried. But when eaten raw, it can be hard on the tummy. And lightly steamed seems…well…boring.
But when it’s paired with something fatty and wonderful, like avocado, it begins to sing. And broccoli is insanely good for you. Broccoli is in the cruciferous vegetable family — and that family contains immune building, cancer-fighting properties and powerful antioxidants, like vitamin C. It’s also high in calcium and vitamin K, incredibly high in fibre, and its high levels of folate helps support the nervous system. Broccoli really is one of the healthiest vegetables you can consume.
Because raw broccoli is not tolerated by everyone, this salad has it cooked just slightly. It still retains its crunchy nature, but is now easier to digest.
Personally, I can sit down and eat an entire head of broccoli, practically, when it comes to this salad.
- ½ - 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets, lightly steamed or blanched
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3 Tbsp decent extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine or raw cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon
- small handful roasted almonds
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- pinch chili flakes (optional)
- Toss cooled broccoli with avocado.
- Combine olive oil, vinegar and dijon in a small bowl.
- Stir everything together, and throw in almonds.
- Season with salt and pepper, and optional chili flakes.
If you enjoyed this broccoli salad with avocado recipe, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more delicious recipes to add to your weekly meal plan, please follow our Food board where we share all kinds of yummy ideas!