Hummus is a brilliant snack. There are so many fun ways to “dress it up”. It’s like the dish used like an empty palate. Only your imagination is stopping you.
That’s what is so fantastic about this sweet potato hummus. It takes something that’s typically ordinary, and turns into something so fun and tasty. Sweet potatoes are LOADED with beta carotene, with piles of other minerals and vitamins. And they are so naturally sweet, it’s easy to forget how good they are for us. They also load a punch of fibre to an already-high-fibre snack.
Hummus is a favourite snack but expensive to buy and loaded with unnecessary ingredients. That’s why making it yourself should become a priority. It’s inexpensive and super easy. It’s also high in fibre, low in bad fat, and great eaten with piles of vegetables and Mary’s Crackers.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp sea salt, more to taste
- Steam or water saute the sweet potato until it is tender. Transfer to a food processor.
- To the same food processor, add chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, oil, cumin, garlic.
- Puree everything for about 1 minute. Thin with water, if necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper and let cool, while flavours meld.
- For a smoother hummus, peel chickpeas.
If you enjoyed this Sweet Potato Hummus recipe, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more healthy and delicious recipes to add to your weekly menu, please follow our Food board where we share all kinds of fabulous ideas!