Oh my. OH MY! Asparagus-season is so wonderful. It represents Spring in the most wonderful way. The first vegetable that really tells you the heat is on its way.
But it’s also easy to overdo it. And quickly we find ourselves sick of this wonderful, bitter vegetable because we’ve eaten it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
But it carries a versatility many people don’t think of. Firstly, it’s wonderful raw. Which means it’s great to throw in a yummy asian-style slaw. But it’s also so easy and fast to cook in a variety of ways.
Roasting is really when its wonderful flavour it released. With just a bit of lemon zest, a splash of olive oil, some salt and pepper. So why not take the roasting to the next level and create a wonderful, warm salad?! This salad can be a plant-based meal unto itself. Or it makes a killer side to any meat thrown on the barbecue.
- 1 red onion, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1½ cups cremini mushrooms, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into bite-sized chunks (optional)
- 1 red pepper, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper
- ½ bunch (1/2 pound) asparagus, trimmed, chopped into 2-inch bits
- juice and zest half a lemon
- splash balsamic (optional)
- handful fresh parsley, chopped
- a few hunks of goat chevre (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Add onions, mushrooms, optional zucchini, red pepper, and garlic to a large roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Roast for 10 minutes. Then stir in asparagus and lemon zest. Drizzle on more olive oil, if necessary. Roast another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Season again. Drizzle with lemon juice and optional balsamic. Sprinkle with parsley.
- If using, add the chevre now. Serve the salad warm.
Asparagus season is fleeting. Take advantage while you can…
If you enjoyed this Roasted Asparagus & Vegetable Salad recipe, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more yummy meals to add to your weekly meal plan, please follow our Food board where we share all kinds of fabulous ideas!