January is in full swing. And with it comes the desire to “clean house”. Your body house, that is. It’s very tempting to just stop eating all together (don’t do that). Or to embark on a hard-core juice cleanse. (Brrrr, don’t do that either.) My favourite thing to eat to nourish my soul, and to make me feel okay about an overindulgent holiday, is to eat soup.
It’s simply the best this time of year. Soup flushes out your system, provides warming liquids, digests easily, is often made with nourishing bone broth, usually contains a vegetable or two. What can go wrong? If you can resist adding croutons or cream then even better.
I love this sweet potato soup. It’s flavours are simple and lovely. But the best part is it is SO easy to make and literally whips up in minutes. Top it with some lovely grains or a bit of cilantro and yogurt and you’re away to the races!! And sweet potatoes are such an amazing source of beta carotene which lead to the beautiful benefits of Vitamin A (strengthens eyesight, immunity and is full of antioxidants). They’re also high in potassium, magnesium, Vitamin D, Vitamin C. ALL GOOD THINGS.
My favourite part about sweet potatoes are their natural sweetness. It’s great if you’re trying to get through some crazy, post-holiday, sugar cravings!! They’re not going to affect your blood sugar like regular potatoes or even fruit. So eat in abundance.
The chipotle is certainly a kick. If you don’t dig spicy food consider leaving it out. But the flavour is wonderful, if you can handle it. And the yogurt makes it more cooling.
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ yellow onion, chipped
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped (could use canned if you need to speed things up)
- ½ - 1 tsp chipotle puree (just a smidgen if too spicy)
- 2 cups bone broth, veg broth, or water (more to thin)
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Optional: plain yogurt (with lime juice and minced cilantro)
- Optional: millet with liquid smoke
- Saute onion and garlic in coconut oil for a few minutes
- Add sweet potato and chipotle puree
- Add broth and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, until sweet potato is very soft
- Puree in a food processor
- Serve topped with cilantro, yogurt, and millet (optional)
If you enjoyed this chipotle sweet potato soup recipe as much as us, please share it on Pinterest!
And if you’re looking for more delicious recipes to add to your weekly rotation, please follow our Food board where we share all kinds of fabulous ideas!